Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler In Cast Iron Skillet

Vendor Sponsor

Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler In Cast Iron Skillet

I made BBQ baby backs in the Traeger grill today, home made tater salad, cornbread, steakhouse beans, oh man what a spread!

Not to be outdone by the meal, I dug up a recipe for some really plump big blackberries I saw hanging around the freezer, they caught my eye a time or two too many, time for them to go!

Start with 3 cups fresh or frozen berries, sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar over them and let them sit 24hrs.

Now I will post the recipe..

Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler

Filling Ingredients:

2/3C granulated sugar
    1/3C granulated sugar
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1C water*
    3C fresh or frozen blackberries

Filling Directions:

The night before making cobbler, sprinkle 1/3C sugar over blackberries and let sit overnight. The next day, stir 2/3C sugar and 1 tbsp cornstarch together in sauce pan,

*Pour off liquid from berries into measuring cup, add water to make one cup. Whisk water into sugar mixture and bring to boil, stir in blackberries and continue to heat to boiling.

Biscuit Ingredients:

1C all purpose flour
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    4 tbsp (half stick) butter at room temperature
    1C buttermilk
    1/2C unfed sourdough starter
    1/4C granulated sugar

Biscuit Directions:

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl, cut in butter to make a coarse meal. Add ½ cup buttermilk and ½ cup unfed ripe starter. Stir until a coarse dough forms, add buttermilk as needed until dough is just loose enough to pour.

Spray No. 8 cast iron skillet with cooking spray, pour dough into skillet and spread evenly to edges. Pour berry mixture onto dough arranging berries evenly, bake in 400F oven 20 mins, remove from oven and sprinkle ¼ cup sugar evenly over mixture, return to oven and bake 10 more mins or until center reaches 200F. Remove skillet from oven and let cool 30 mins. Serve warm with your choice of toppings or ice cream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler In 120yr Old Iron Skillet.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	304024
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-04-2022 at 08:57 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Cobbler in cast iron, nothing better!
    Looks mighty good!

Boolit Grand Master

DougGuy ,
    Thanks for posting this recipe ...
    I was putting some frozen shrimp away in the freezer and noticed a bag of frozen Blackberries leftover from a jam making session . I believe there are 3 or 4 cups of berries in the bag ... My Oh My ...what a coincidence , it has to be Fate !

I was thinking a Shrimp and Andouilli Sausage Jambalaya ... Blackberry Cobbler for desert wouldn't be a bad Labor Day meal ... it's raining outside I can stay in and cook !

Always Appreciate you good recipes !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

This caught my eye too. I was thinking it would make my home made French Vanilla Ice cream taste pretty good. I'll have to look in our freezer. Ha.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    DougGuy , I believe there are 3 or 4 cups of berries in the bag ...
    Gary
    My No. 8 skillet was full to the very edge once it reached full steam in the oven, with 3 cups of berries, and it's an old arc logo "Sidney" with pretty tall sides. More than 3 cups of berries move up to a No. 9 skillet.. You want the cobbler to be deep, filling the pan when it's all expanded while baking, just not running all the good juice over the edge..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I first saw this post, I thought it was going to be about pancakes. Those are some of the best ingredients to make pancakes out of too.

Boolit Master

That is almost the way my grandmother made it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    My No. 8 skillet was full to the very edge once it reached full steam in the oven, with 3 cups of berries, and it's an old arc logo "Sidney" with pretty tall sides. More than 3 cups of berries move up to a No. 9 skillet.. You want the cobbler to be deep, filling the pan when it's all expanded while baking, just not running all the good juice over the edge..
    The wife has a deep sided skillet ... she calls it a "Chicken Fryer " ... it's 12 inch across w/ 4 inch high sides , that will be tall enough to hold things... the juice is the best part and I'll put a drip pan under it too . That bag has 3 cups in it I checked !
    I can never seem to pick the right size pot or pan for what I want to cook , usually I'm too small ... but Debbie has a 6th sense ... she knows exactly which size to cook something in .
    I always consult "the pan expert" when i'm doing a new recipe ...but thanks for the heads up ...others out there my find this info helpful .
    Thanks ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    That looks great. Thanks for sharing. I've got some berries that needed a place to be used as well.

Boolit Master

DougGuy, I'll tell you somethin', sometimes I agree with what your sayin, sometimes I don't But, Man everything you start cookin' makes me drool!!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Moderator Emeritus

Doug is one of the top recipe posters! Check the cookbook thread!

Yum! That picture riles my 'beetus somethin awful!

Boolit Master
    love the thought of sourdough. my starter has been alive, documented back to the 1800 Alaska gold rush, it sits on my counter and get fed every morning and used as often as i can.. I have not found any that tastes better.. just made and baked sourdough bread today. house smells so good...

Moderator Emeritus

Older a starter gets the more complex the flavors get... I had a temporary roomie throw mine away!!!!! Yeah she got hollered at big time! That starter was from my great grandmother! Lucky my oldest sister has some of it and I got a new batch from her to build back up.