Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAA Not Holding Half Cock Position

Boolit Master

SAA Not Holding Half Cock Position

I have a Colt New Frontier in 44-40 that I took to the range today. Fired 36 rounds of cowboy loads so nothing hot at all. Loading the last six rounds the hammer did not want to lock in the half cock position. I looked at it once I got home and it is hit and miss as to whether it will stay or not. I certainly don't trust it to. Is this a common problem? What should I look for?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not an expert on single actions at all, but I would take a close look at the halfcock notch on the hammer and the sear nose of the trigger.

Could be either or both of those or even something else. It is a fairly simple machine inside though.

Robert

Boolit Master

How long ago was it's last deep cleaning (detail stripped)? The top of the trigger is what engages the half-cock and is quite thin and narrow. Doesn't take much to keep it from entering it's slot.

Or something can be loose/broken. Only one way to find out.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

It might just be dirty.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of SAA that were used for quick draw had the half cock notch ruined by fanning the hammer.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    You got the special "Alec Baldwin" edition

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. It has not been cleaned in a while and never field stripped. I bought it new so I know the history. The pistol has maybe 300 rounds total through it. The hammer has never been fanned. I just rarely ever shoot it. I'll try cleaning it well as I do that after shooting them anyway, just did not get to it yesterday after the range. Had to take advantage of two dry days in a row to get the grass cut.

Boolit Buddy

It could be dirty as others mention.

However, if you use a finger to hold the trigger forward with just a little force, a pound or two, does the hammer then always catch in the half cock notch?

There is a U shaped leaf spring, generally a flat stamping (sometimes a round wire aftermarket replacement) that is located in the lower frame in front of the trigger and beneath the cylinder, held in place by a large diameter headed screw. One leg provides force to the cylinder stop/bolt that engages the stop notches in the cylinder, and the other spring leg is the trigger reset spring that holds the trigger forward.

I suspect that the trigger reset leg has broken, a common problem, or the screw holding the U spring in place is loose. Replacements are available from Wolff Gunsprings.

You need to remove the trigger guard and grip frame, which requires removal of the mainspring, and paying attention to the hand and it's spring. It's not difficult, but I recommend you watch at least 3 different YT vids on SAA and clone disassembly, and invest in hollow ground screwdriver tips to fit the screws. Disassembly is a bit out of the scope of an answer here without pics I don't have, despite reparing dozens of SAAs in 45+ years.

And Qs, PM me.

Noah

Boolit Master

Mr. Zark, I will certainly give that a try. Thank you. I may be reaching out to you by PM in a day or so once I have a chance to take a closer look. It does seem odd that a spring would break with such a low round count, doesn't it? I bought the pistol in 81-82 can't remember for sure.

Boolit Buddy

I've replaced a U spring in one unfired SAA that was broken out of the box, after sitting in a safe for 18-20 years.

Another way to look at it, your low round count spring has been stressed 24/7/365(6) for 40 years. Even at rest, uncocked, the trigger reset leg is loaded.

Sure, springs fail by fatigue caused by cyclic loading and unloading, but these stamped U-springs have a reputation for breaking. The wireform replacements, not so much.

Noah

Boolit Master
    The bolt-stop/trigger spring in SSA's has always been a weak point but, why would it hold in the full-cock notch and not the half-cock notch if the spring is the problem? Same for the trigger tip. I suspect something is wrong with the half-cock notch. Broken/ dirty? Let us know what you find.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

1982-3 gun never stripped and cleaned, sounds more like the original oil has turned into goo. Strip it down, clean it, re-oil it, examine for wear and tear, if none visible, re-assemble, test for function.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    The bolt-stop/trigger spring in SSA's has always been a weak point but, why would it hold in the full-cock notch and not the half-cock notch if the spring is the problem? Same for the trigger tip. I suspect something is wrong with the half-cock notch. Broken/ dirty? Let us know what you find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    1982-3 gun never stripped and cleaned, sounds more like the original oil has turned into goo. Strip it down, clean it, re-oil it, examine for wear and tear, if none visible, re-assemble, test for function.
    You both might be right.

Noah

Boolit Master

I checked and with slight forward pressure on the trigger the half cock sets firmly. For the price I will go ahead and order a spring kit from Wolf and educate myself on how to disassemble it while waiting for them. Might as well have parts on hand rather than leaving it apart for a week or so. When I first got this pistol it lived in an arms room for about 3 years until I ETS'd from Germany.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    ...and educate myself on how to disassemble it
    https://www.amazon.com/Colt-single-a.../dp/B0006RVZG0

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It might just be dirty.
    Plus its a common problem, and why the practice of loading only 5 rounds has been around for about 125 years.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Well, I got it sorted out. After watching a couple of vids I tore it down and gave it a good cleaning. Not that it was very dirty to begin with. Again, it only has maybe 300 rounds through it, all smokeless. I have always cleaned the barrel, cylinder and what is exposed of the frame, just never pulled anything apart. If anything, I would say it was a lack of lubrication. Seemed very dry on the internals. Now that I have it out I will probably shoot it a bit more, it was fun. I have 3 cans of 3f. I might get adventurous. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I just did not know much about this platform.

Boolit Buddy

Glad you got it sorted out.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    the practice of loading only 5 rounds has been around for about 125 years.
    Hmm,,,
    I always figured it was that if the hammer was down and wasn't on the half cock notch, or the notch was damaged/broken off,
    you could hit the back of the hammer and make it discharge. Or,,, if maybe the original ones didn't have the notch.

And maybe that was part of the reason why inertia firing pins came along.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Plus its a common problem, and why the practice of loading only 5 rounds has been around for about 125 years.
    If you're a John Wayne fan, you will notice the scene in his room at the boarding house where he loads the 6th cartridge and very carefully lowers the hammer before he goes over to the Metropol and engages in his last gunfight.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast