Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Turkey .45 ACP

Boolit Master

Turkey .45 ACP

Kentucky Gun Company is selling these for $319. Reviews are very favorable. Doubt we ever see this price again.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Kentucky Gun Company is selling these for $319. Reviews are very favorable. Doubt we ever see this price again.
    I picked up a Tisas Zig M1911 several years ago for $375 out the door. It was right at the edge of what I could afford to pay, and having lived in Turkey and experienced their ideas about quality control. Buying a six-pack of Efes Pilsner beer there back in the 80's, it tasted good, but you could get koolaid or seriously messed up out of the same six-pack So I was a bit leery, but when I shook it, it didn't rattle as much as I remember the old GI 1911's I'd learned to shoot as a 12YO, so I plunked down my money and took it home. I've been very happy with. It is not a $2700 Series 70 Colt, but it is nice reliable gun. I don't think my budget will ever stretch to a nice Series 70 Colt, anyway. YMMV!

Bill

After reading the title I had to read this thread. "So now", I thought, "we're shooting turkeys with .45 ACPs". Guess you could, but glad that wasn't the intended meaning. As for 1911s made in Turkey, I think they're a good value for the money. I guess everyone and his brother has manufactured the ol' 1911, and while a few copies have been a bit substandard, most are reliable and will get the job done. Same thing for the Rock Island copies from the Philippines. I bought one of them 3 or 4 years ago, and while thinning out the herd recently I decided "this one stays." I own about a dozen (maybe dozen +) 1911s and to me they've always seemed to pretty much fall into three categories: (1) Totally worn out, (2) serviceable, reliable, will get the job done, (3) precision, expensive target guns. If it will be on a silhouette target every shot at 25 yards it's good enough for me. Even if every shot isn't in the 10 ring I'll rely on the .45 ACP caliber to get the job done.

DG

Yes, DG- the .45 works fine on called in Toms!
    I have used the Ballester Molina on turkeys. I'd like to get a Turkish 1911 just because the three Turkish shotguns I've bought so far have no problems and the fit and finish....is nostalgic.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I have never bought an actual firearm made in Turkey, but I bought a Walnut grip for a S&W 5906 police trade-in I have and the fit and finish were excellent in my opinion.
    I also have a couple Hatsan air rifles I am very pleased with.
    At this time, I would not hesitate to buy a product from Turkey.

Boolit Grand Master

Of recent Turkish firearms have improved greatly particularly metallurgically.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yes, DG- the .45 works fine on called in Toms!
    I have used the Ballester Molina on turkeys. I'd like to get a Turkish 1911 just because the three Turkish shotguns I've bought so far have no problems and the fit and finish....is nostalgic.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Ahhh...the voice of experience, and certainly an experience/report worth pursuing. A (or more?) turkey taken with a .45 ACP Ballester-Molina! What was the distance? What was the damage to the meat (or did you shoot it in the head?), and what was the nature of the bullet? Cast, hardball, or ? Did you set out to hunt one with your .45, or did it just happen along? I would have to speculate that many a turkey fell to the old time cowboy's single actions of various calibers.

Where I lived about 22 years ago in Oregon's Coast Range Mtns. I had 30 acres that featured a lot of immense white oak trees. One of their features is thick, long lower branches that stretch out from the main trunk 20 or more feet almost parallel to the ground. These branches appear to be so heavy one wonders why they don't break off of their own weight, but somehow they defy gravity. I lived there for 17 years and would see a turkey now and then, but for some reason they suddenly decided to live about 150 ft. from the house on one of the big, lower branches; and did so in quantity, maybe 30 or so. Every night they'd roost up on this one long branch like ducks in a shooting gallery, and leave promptly at dawn. After a couple of months their droppings became visible in the leaves below the tree in a long line, and then to pile up. The smell became pretty bad, so I stayed away from the tree, and began to scheme on how to get rid of them. Then, for no apparent reason, they were gone. Guess the smell got to be too much for them also.

Anyway, as already stated, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the quality of the Turk .45s. I've examined a couple and they appear well made to me.

DG

Banner Sponsor

?

To me, that is a very nice looking pistol.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I recently bought a stoeger str9 for 199 with a 25 dollar rebate, made in turkey. Liked it so much I bought 3 more for the wife and kids! Check them out.

Boolit Master

The 1911 industry needs a great deal more of this: get away from the bells, whistles, and target-rifle tolerances and deliver an honest, functional, steel handgun for a reasonable amount of money.

I helped a buddy out with one recently. . .the slide stop needed replacing with one that didn't rub the round stack and lock open prematurely, the mag button needed a little recontouring if the pistol was to work with mags other than the ones it shipped with, and the mainspring housing pin needed more than the usual tap to get it out of the gun, but it now runs like a top after that minimal bit of diagnosis and fiddling, and shoots better than 99% of the people that might ever pick it up. Don't need another .45 at this point, but would not turn one away.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I don’t know about their 1911’s but if the quality is anything like my Tisas Zigana Sport purchased several years ago, they are well worth the $$$.

Boolit Master
    I had an elderly friend purchase one of the new 1911 Gov models, hand it to me and told me to go shoot it. First thing I did was complete tear down and in my opinion it was comparable to anything I have seen from SA in GI category in fit and finish, legs were not over cut, headspace good, lubed, greased and back together. One little booger half way down pipe was a skip/dig 360 degrees on top of lands, 400 dollar 45. Took to range with issue magazine and even a known Meg trouble maker, an SA and Colt. 230 FMJ's 45 degrees over right shoulder, not one burp and trigger was dropping at 4.7 back at house. I have a couple way overboard 1911's in the herd and do not need anymore, but for the money or budget might not be a bad investment.
    Last edited by Gtek; 09-05-2022 at 12:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have a few, made in turkey, none in .45, other calabers, fine guns, resionable price, worth the money, imo,