WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Can't Win Today!

Boolit Master

Can't Win Today!

First I got out my old Lyman furnace to make a repair that I knew it needed between the thermostat wire and the heating element. Opened it up and found that I had already fixed it (yea!) exactly as I was planning. Cool. Then I plugged it in to test it. I was in the workshop instead of the reloading room so plugged it into a short 12 gauge extension cord for testing purposes only.* Satisfied that it was melting a few scrap boolits, I turned the thermostat down and started to unplug it. The plug was hot. The rubber had softened it was so hot so I unplugged it at the wall. After it cooled down I discovered that the furnace cord was now permanently attached to the extension cord. Both went into the trash. I found a replacement cord rated for 1250 watts.

*I always run my furnaces on short heavy extension cords that run to a metallic box that has a duplex outlet and a mechanical timer much like the light timers in locker rooms and at tennis courts and baseball fields. There is never any overheating. I blame this on an oxidized plug on the furnace cord that I ignored instead of cleaning up before using.

Time to check the mail. The replacement handle to my RCBS Pro-Melt was in the mailbox. Time to install it and fire it up for the first time in four years. This one was on the casting bench under the vent hood. Really, this whole exercise was because I wanted to see how well the vent hood evacuated casting smoke and odors. Turned on the aforementioned timer and the vent hood, flipped the switch and it went back to the off position without a flicker. While it was packed away the 40+ year old switch had given up the ghost. It's not listed as a separate part or even shown in the drawings in the instructions so I ordered one. Now I have to wait a week or so to put the Pro-Melt back together.

During the disassembly I tried something that I wanted to pass along to everyone. One of the bolts that holds the furnace body to the supports was stuck pretty hard. I hit it with some Kroil and waited a while after tapping the bolt head with a small hammer. It was still stuck badly enough that I was afraid of breaking the bolt. Thinking back on a video I watched a few weeks ago, I tried my DeWalt impact driver hoping that the jolts of the impact might free the bolt. It worked, effortlessly. There was significant rust on the bolt but it spun out easily.

I still didn't get to test the vent hood; something to look forward to next week.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Glad it worked for ya.
    But be careful-- I think I've snapped off more bolts & screws with a impact than ratchets and wrenches combined.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely the best tool I ever used when others won't work on stuck bolts (not for the smaller sizes, though you might be able to finesse it a little). If you have a compressor and an air hammer, set the pressure as high or as low as you need it and start a-knockin.' The side handle is how you apply the torque and I've been able to turn a stuck/rusted/siezed/cross-threaded bolt loose with one finger on the handle; You're letting the impact do all the hard work. If you've never seen one, search for "screw knocker"
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/86...804c20dff6.jpg
    Last edited by JSnover; 09-05-2022 at 09:36 AM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Don't need the air compressor any more. The highest power impact wrenches are battery powered. I have a 1/4 inch Makita and a 1/2 inch Milwaukee with 1400 ftlbs of reverse.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.