WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about black powder can it be used in more modern cartridges?

Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    Question about black powder can it be used in more modern cartridges?
    Yes

Will it perform like smokeless powder.....No!

Why? Black powder is a slow burning powder....kind of like a pump gas NASCAR. The same NASCAR with a racing engine, high octane......well, that is a different story...consider that the smokeless powder loads for the same rifle loads you are referring to.

Consider fast burning pistol powders a Corvette on a quarter mile drag strip using a race engine, high octane gas AND NITRO!.

Boolit Master
    Black powder has around 1/2 the energy of nitro powder (47%).........Military 303 had a compressed pellet of powder weighing 71 grains..........there is no way you can get near that much granular blackpowder into a 303 case,no matter what you do.................a good example is the old 6" Coastal defense gun.........it used either 12 lbs of cordite or 28 lbs of blackpowder to fire the same shell at 2,000 ft /sec.

Simply answering the man's question

308WIN with black powder.
    about 50gr Goex FFFg, compressed
    147gr FMJ bullet (M80 ball)
    Standard large rifle primer
    Average velocity at 25 yards - about 1600fps

Try here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post3744927

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Simply answering the man's question

308WIN with black powder.
    about 50gr Goex FFFg, compressed
    147gr FMJ bullet (M80 ball)
    Standard large rifle primer
    Average velocity at 25 yards - about 1600fps

Try here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post3744927
    I guess it even works in bottle neck cartridges, news flash. 8mm Kropatschek. But what a mess it could make of a nice gun.
    Old military beaters are one thing….. would it work in a CVA, new, 45-70? Or plug up the firing pin and extractor……….

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are going to shoot BP in a cartridge, consider shooting a couple of smokeless rounds at the end. It makes cleaning a lot easier.

I wouldn’t fire nitro after black powder. Black powder cleans easily with water, hot water is best, tap water works, even ice water, but all of the salts and fouling are dissolved easily. You can’t do that with nitro powder. I fear the nitro powder afterwards would only complicate things and make cleaning harder

Boolit Grand Master

The worst cussin I ever got was when I made a mistake and gave a friend B/P 12 Ga loads for his 1100 Remington. Two shots and it froze up and was a real mess to clean. The B/P loads in the 303 were solid black compressed into a straight case and THEN necked down. IIRR velocity was lower than smokeless and the rifling was different to accommodate the B/P load.

Boolit Master

Yes, all will shoot with black powder, not as efficient as smokeless but usable when no smokeless is available.

You will have to clean as any black powder does. Do not expect smokeless ballistics. Howevere time comes it will serve to kill opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    I guess it even works in bottle neck cartridges, news flash. 8mm Kropatschek. But what a mess it could make of a nice gun.
    Old military beaters are one thing….. would it work in a CVA, new, 45-70? Or plug up the firing pin and extractor……….
    Just answer the mans question, let him decide what he wants to clean

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    newsflash I been shooting blackpowder in some nice guns for over thirty years - no mess - no fuss - all you need to do is clean and oil it after you shoot - taint that hard !!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12