RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about black powder can it be used in more modern cartridges?

Boolit Buddy

Question about black powder can it be used in more modern cartridges?

I was reading an article about making your black powder as I was interested in finding out how to do this and in the article, the author talked about using black powder to reload 223, 308 along with other rifle calibers that I have only seen smokeless used for.

I'd like to know if has anyone used black powder for a caliber that was made to use smokeless powder. Is it even advisable to do this? It just got me thinking so I have come here to ask. Thanks!

If the cartridge is straight walled and fired in a revolver, bolt or lever gun, go for it. A recoil operated slide would work, but you may have a problem in generating enough recoil to reliably cycle the action, especially after a few shots have fouled everything. Some of the gently shouldered cartridges could do it. With a gas operated rifle the fouling in the gas tube will be a problem.

Boolit Master
    What Castaway said.
    There is video of a Thomson firing full auto, loaded with black powder, made possible by the straight pistol case.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

You could probably use it in a single shot or bolt action, i doubt it would make a semi auto function not mention cleaning the system afterwards. Back when the 303 British was introduced it started as a BP round with a FMJ bullet.

Now I’m kind of curios what kind of velocity could be obtained with a 308 case filled with BP.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the information! I have heard that you could load straight wall pistol rounds and obviously straight wall rifle rounds. Just never heard it being done with bottleneck rounds in rifles before. Also, yes I agree. It would be interesting to see what type of velocities you could get with the black powder in 308. Good evening, interesting to see what it would do in a 223. Maybe you would make a good subsonic load for a suppressor? Or maybe not cuz I'd hate to clean that out of this suppressor..

Boolit Master
    Your 30-30, was a black powder cartrage, there are many if you go back in history<

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Your 30-30, was a black powder cartrage, there are many if you go back in history<
    https://winchester.com/Blog/2016/05/...ough-the-years

The first M94s to roll out of the factory in 1894 were chambered for two black-powder rounds, the 32-40 and 38-55. It wasn’t until the next year that a Model 94 with a stronger, nickel-steel barrel was offered in the brand new .30 Winchester Center Fire. But that wasn’t all. A simultaneous release was the same rifle chambered for the .25-35 Winchester, which also burned smokeless.

The 30-30 designation came later because non-Winchester ammo brands didn’t care to advertise .30 Winchester Center Fire on their products. The new round burned 30 grains of smokeless powder, so they went with the traditional black-powder nomenclature that listed caliber followed by the powder quantity, even though the 30-grains of smokeless powder spit out a lot more energy than 30 grains of black-powder. That probably confused a lot of shooters in the early years, but they eventually figured out this new round was a barn burner.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-03-2022 at 06:10 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    How many 308 have you seen use BP?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    I was reading an article about making your black powder as I was interested in finding out how to do this and in the article, the author talked about using black powder to reload 223, 308 along with other rifle calibers that I have only seen smokeless used for.

I'd like to know if has anyone used black powder for a caliber that was made to use smokeless powder. Is it even advisable to do this? It just got me thinking so I have come here to ask. Thanks!
    Blackpowder can and probably has been loaded in almost every cartridge that has be around any length of time.

Can it be done safety yes. Fouling increases greatly and velocity may suffer greatly if its used cartridges like the 223 and 308. Same for function in SOME autoloaders.

The 303 Brit was first loaded with blackpowder.

https://www.blackpowdercartridge.com...d-black-powder

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-g...he-lee-metford

The 30/40 was not loaded with blackpowder despite claims to the contrary.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/30-40-krag/

Like the .30-30 Winchester, the .30-40 Krag used the black powder naming convention in common use at the time that consisted of the caliber of the cartridge followed by the standard load of powder in grains. Since the new Army cartridge used a .30 caliber bullet (.308″ diameter) propelled by 40 grains of smokeless powder, the cartridge received the designation “.30-40.”

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ack-powder-308

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...d%20experiment.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-03-2022 at 08:12 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Blackpowder can and probably has been loaded in almost every cartridge that has be around any length of time.

Can it be done safety yes. Fouling increases greatly and velocity may suffer greatly if its used cartridges like the 223 and 308.

The 303 Brit was first loaded with blackpowder.

https://www.blackpowdercartridge.com...d-black-powder

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-g...he-lee-metford

The 30/40 was not loaded with blackpowder despite claims to the contrary.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/30-40-krag/
    Now just need to find how to make my own primers and I'd be set! Thanks!!

What M-Tecs was talking around and didn’t quite say definitively, the 30-30 was originally a smokeless cartridge, not black powder

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    What M-Tecs was talking around and didn’t quite say definitively, the 30-30 was originally a smokeless cartridge, not black powder
    I added more underlining and bold font for the folks that thought the history from Winchester was talking around the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    https://winchester.com/Blog/2016/05/...ough-the-years

The first M94s to roll out of the factory in 1894 were chambered for two black-powder rounds, the 32-40 and 38-55. It wasn’t until the next year that a Model 94 with a stronger, nickel-steel barrel was offered in the brand new .30 Winchester Center Fire. But that wasn’t all. A simultaneous release was the same rifle chambered for the .25-35 Winchester, which also burned smokeless.

The 30-30 designation came later because non-Winchester ammo brands didn’t care to advertise .30 Winchester Center Fire on their products. The new round burned 30 grains of smokeless powder, so they went with the traditional black-powder nomenclature that listed caliber followed by the powder quantity, even though the 30-grains of smokeless powder spit out a lot more energy than 30 grains of black-powder. That probably confused a lot of shooters in the early years, but they eventually figured out this new round was a barn burner.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-03-2022 at 06:09 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Then throw the 32 Win. Special in the mix which was created to use up the 32 cal. barrels that Winchester had lots of. It has been suggested the 32 Special was a transition smokeless cartridge factory ammo but could be loaded with b/p using 32-40 dies. Early 32 Specials have reversible elevators on the rear barrel sight for b/p and smokeless.

Is it even advisable to do this?
    You wouldn't shoot your eye out, but there's no reason to.
    Especially in shorter barrels-
    BP pressures won't generate the speeds that smokeless does, and you have the fouling issues.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

We have a local rifle match conducted every month by the Queen Victoria Rifle Club. The rules are simple competitors rifles must be stamped "VR" as made during the reign of the good lady.

Of particular interest is the 303 Black powder match which is shot with Martini Enfields and early Lee Enfields. The match comprises 7 rounds at each of 50, 100, 200yards: Best 5 rounds counted for score.

Other events for even older guns like the bottle-necked 577/450 this target at 200yds

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Then throw the 32 Win. Special in the mix which was created to use up the 32 cal. barrels that Winchester had lots of. It has been suggested the 32 Special was a transition smokeless cartridge factory ammo but could be loaded with b/p using 32-40 dies. Early 32 Specials have reversible elevators on the rear barrel sight for b/p and smokeless.
    It was claimed that earlier 32 win specials has a slower twist to facilitate cleaning the fouling of black power, but it could as someone said that the winchester had a lot of pre-existing barrels so rifled.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the information! I have heard that you could load straight wall pistol rounds and obviously straight wall rifle rounds. Just never heard it being done with bottleneck rounds in rifles before. Also, yes I agree. It would be interesting to see what type of velocities you could get with the black powder in 308. Good evening, interesting to see what it would do in a 223. Maybe you would make a good subsonic load for a suppressor? Or maybe not cuz I'd hate to clean that out of this suppressor..
    if your supressor comes apart (like the ones they advertise as oil/fuel filters) cleanup would be simple, just unscrew it, dunk it in water, swish it around and dry it. Blackpowder cleanup is a cinch if you do it soon after use, and employ plenty of H2O.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    ... Blackpowder cleanup is a cinch if you do it soon after use, and employ plenty of H2O.
    So very true ... it's amazing how many folks just case up a black powder gun that's been shot a bunch, with no thought about keeping the BP residue soft ... just takes a minute or two and will save much time when doing a full cleaning.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    I stand corected> thank you.

Boolit Master
    Ive fired a Garand with black powder 30-06 loads and 303 military bullet.......you get 3 to 4 shots before the gas cylinder fouls and stops the bolt from closing.......Ive also loaded a 300 Mag with blackpowder.....why ?....why not?........incidentally ,est around 1500ft sec from a 30-06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast