Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I ship a pistol back to the manufacturer.

Boolit Master

How do I ship a pistol back to the manufacturer.

Well the title says it all I know there’s been enough folks on this forum that have shipped pistols from one place or another. I’m trying to find out the procedure for shipping a pistol back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will not pay for shipping but will replace my broken firearm. I made the mistake of calling UPS. When I finally convinced a recording that I needed to speak to a representative i got transferred to some guy in the Philippines. He put me on holt for 10 minutes. When he finally came back on the line, he informed me I had to completely disassemble the pistol, bring it to a Ups Facility and they would pack it up for shipping! Oh yeh I almost forgot it was gonna cost me $150 to ship a pistol from Virginia to Florida.
    I can’t tell you my response as o would be permanently banned from this forum if I did!

So hopefully someone here can fill in the blanks for me cause it seams that ups ain’t got a clue!
    Thanks
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Vendor Sponsor

The easiest way is to take it to a local gun shop or FFL holder and let them ship it for you. Other than that, UPS has to come pick it up from you, you have to verbally tell the driver the box contains a handgun. I never heard of having to disassemble it for shipping.

UPS regs have changed a LOT since jobama was installed.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Some states require you to go through an FFL. Did you ask the manufacturer for instructions?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Some states require you to go through an FFL. Did you ask the manufacturer for instructions?
    They are in Florida I’m in Virginia. They don’t issue a shipping label. Shipping is my responsibility.

Boolit Master

Dealer time go to the guy you bought it from he can ship it USPS flat rate, Pay him for it. Way it is you are not a dealer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The easiest way is to take it to a local gun shop or FFL holder and let them ship it for you. Other than that, UPS has to come pick it up from you, you have to verbally tell the driver the box contains a handgun. I never heard of having to disassemble it for shipping.

UPS regs have changed a LOT since jobama was installed.
    UPS now requires all firearms and related parts be shipped by a FFL dealer. FedEx has a similar rule. So only choice I am aware of is for an FFL to do it.
    https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/sh.../firearms.page
    East Tennessee

I agree with the others. Find an FFL and have them take care of it for you. If you mess with firearms very much I'd work on establishing at least a bit of familiarity with an FFL near you. You'll be seeing him much more often in the future.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Dealer time go to the guy you bought it from he can ship it USPS flat rate, Pay him for it. Way it is you are not a dealer.
    Nope that ain’t gonna work. If I went back to the place I bought it from I could just go around the corner and drop it off at the manufacturer. Lol I bought it when I lived in Florida. Now I live in Virginia. Lol

Boolit Master
    " So only choice I am aware of is for an FFL to do it"

Wrong.

As noted,, a FFL can ship a handgun easily via USPS. All they have to do is have their FFL on file at their PO. Handguns can easily be shipped for under $20 generally.
    As noted above,, make friends with a LOCAL to you FFL.

Boolit Master
    When I returned my Taurus PT-92 for repairs the Taurus people told me to put it in a Fedex box and just drop it off at Fedex. I did that, and it cost $20 to ship, and came back from Taurus the same way. My understanding (and I am not a legal guru on this) is that an FFL is not required because there is no transfer of ownership.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Considering how often regulations change, it is best to call the BATF and ask. Be sure to keep the name of the agent you talk to.
    651-726-0220 is the St. Paul Regional office, and I have had the best luck dealing with them over the years. Our Montana office didn't know much.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    UPS now requires all firearms and related parts be shipped by a FFL dealer. FedEx has a similar rule. So only choice I am aware of is for an FFL to do it.
    https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/sh.../firearms.page
    Ruger used to send the brown truck with a pre printed shipping label in hand, you box it up, the driver sticks the label on the box and physically takes it from you at your residence, they return it the same way. As mentioned earlier, there is no transfer and no FFL involved. Now you are saying Ruger can't even send a call tag for a repair?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Watching. I need to send a 3 screw Blackhawk to Ruger.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Watching. I need to send a 3 screw Blackhawk to Ruger.
    Ruger is easy! Call them and they will send you a shipping label to be printed. Then you call the shipper to come and pick it up! They use FedEx if I remember correctly. Now mine was under warranty so I didn’t have to pay for the shipping you might have to pay the shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

For a handgun you need to go to an FFL dealer. They can ship it cheap, you can't. Or at least I haven't found a way, but the dealer can.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    "Watching. I need to send a 3 screw Blackhawk to Ruger."

What's wrong with the Ruger?

Moderator Emeritus

When I had to return my Kimber 357 for warranty work, I had to take it to a UPS center. Closest to me was in Cumberland, MD. Here is a portion of the instructions and I needed an RMA number:

Important: A firearm can only be taken to a customer counter at a UPS Customer Center. Do not ship through a UPS store or drop box; such returns may be subject to penalty. For more information, contact UPS regarding their procedures for shipping firearms. Kimber assumes no responsibility for damage resulting from improper packaging and/or shipping.

Please note that upon completion of service, Kimber may require proof of eligibility regarding the return of the firearm. Once service has been completed and, if applicable, Kimber has received any and all documents and/or information it requires, a UPS email notification will be sent indicating that the firearm has been shipped. Please note that someone age 21 or older must be present to sign for the delivery.

Returns are also subject to the applicable Kimber warranty terms and conditions, and such terms are not modified by this letter. For additional information, contact the Kimber Customer Service Department at customerservice@kimberamerica.com. Please include the RMA number in the email.

No idea how to handle things now with the current UPS bull. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Ruger is easy! Call them and they will send you a shipping label to be printed. Then you call the shipper to come and pick it up! They use FedEx if I remember correctly. Now mine was under warranty so I didn’t have to pay for the shipping you might have to pay the shipping.
    +1 Ruger is easy. It's been a year (and thing might have changed) but Ruger emailed me a shipping label, I pasted it on the box and dropped the box off at the local FedEx pick-up location.....no fuss no muss. Ruger did the warranty repair and returned it to me.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

Individual shippers' policies have changed recently. It's not the BATF. You will probably have to have the help of an FFL holder who, as far as I know, can ship it USPS.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    The UPS rule is new. The FedEx is recent but not as new as the UPS policy. My point is most of us used both of them to ship handguns in the past. So did manufacturers such as S&W and Ruger.
    The rules from both UPS and FedEx say no more. How companies performing warranty repairs will handle this is anyones guess.
    East Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast