WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Kahr K9 bullet lube?

Kahr K9 bullet lube?

Just got an early Kahr K9 new in the box. I've read about the Glocks and the Walthers with the polygonal rifling.
    Can I just use LEE "Shake-N-Bake bullet lube on my 124 grain LEE cast bullets made for the liquid ALOX, or should I Powder Coat them instead?
    If PC'ing is the way to go, should the bullets be sized first and then PC'd?
    I'm concerned about the unsupported 6 o'clock chamber and lead build up / pressures if it were to happen.
    I searched here and found nothing on the K9 nine millimeter pistol with cast bullets.

Vendor Sponsor

You would need to see what will plunk in your barrel. The Kahr barrels just like most other makes, usually could benefit from having the barrel throated to take .358" boolits, which would need to be .358" -after- PC for them to feed, even with the barrel throated to .3585" Half the people here would just seat deeper until it worked but why fight it.

Plus if you are concerned about pressure, seating deeper is just edging closer to the ragged edge, and if you get ANY setback, could get pretty ugly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    Just got an early Kahr K9 new in the box. I've read about the Glocks and the Walthers with the polygonal rifling.
    Can I just use LEE "Shake-N-Bake bullet lube on my 124 grain LEE cast bullets made for the liquid ALOX, or should I Powder Coat them instead?
    If PC'ing is the way to go, should the bullets be sized first and then PC'd?
    I'm concerned about the unsupported 6 o'clock chamber and lead build up / pressures if it were to happen.
    I searched here and found nothing on the K9 nine millimeter pistol with cast bullets.
    A lot of casters here load 9mm. I do, for 3 pistols! I shoot a S&W 5906, a Sig Sauer P938, and a Springfield XDm. All 3 are 9mm.

I size to .357, use a Lee 125-356 RN mold and use Carnuba Red lube through a Lyman 4500 sizer with a pin heater.
    My mold is 6 cavity so, I single stage together about 200 rounds at a time.
    If tumble lube and powder coat suit you , try it out. Everyone does it their own way. Me, I just enjoy my time in the reloading room listening to the radio.

Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    The way to determine which rifling you have is to take it apart and look. If I remember, the Kahr is likely Ballard style rifling, the usual land & groove type.
    The pressure is a concern. I'm using a starting load of 3.2 grains of Bullseye taken from the Lyman manual. I worked it up to 3.8 grains and it just lost accuracy. It also generated way too much recoil. Regardless of whether the chamber is supported or not, the 9mm case is limited on space and prone to huge increases in pressure when the bullet is seated too deeply. Hence, the starting load that shoots good.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    Consider yourself fortunate, I've wanted a Kahr to add to my collection. I'd love to shoot lead through one just because they seem interesting.
    On leading, the only gun I've had a leading issue with was a revolver. I fired a box of factory copper clad hollowpoints through it before trying lead boolits. That was a mistake! The copper fouling proceeded to rip lead bullets apart and string lead ALL down the barrel! It took 4 cleanings to finally get all the copper out.

Now days, I load my nines with hollowpoints, the high-class store bought kind. I won't shoot them unless I need to, a self-defense case. Otherwise, I pop that magazine out and insert one loaded with lead bullets. I keep them very clean and almost never shoot jacketed. It's easier to clean them too.

Ron

The "rifling" in my K9 is polygonal. I shot 50 rounds of my shot-as-cast Lee 124 grain tumble lube and did just that.
    Once you get past the L O N G trigger pull ( smooth as butter ) the pistol is very accurate. No lead fouling what so ever. Kahr did it right, the origin of the rifling is not sharp as it is in a Glock and the like.
    Cast bullets are OK according to Kahr providing you clean after each range session.

Boolit Master
    Glad you aren't afraid to experiment. That's how you get good results. Enjoy!

Poly rifled barrels just need more cleaning to run lubed lead. I prefer coated, just cleaner shooting in any type of rifling.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    When I had my Kahr, it liked the same lube the Glocks liked. Started with Lyman Orange Magic, then moved to WLL Blue Carnauba. No muss or fuss

Boolit Master

I shoot lead bullets 95% of the time from 4 karhs TP45 P45 PM9 and PM380 for years no problems!

Boolit Grand Master

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...p-Cast-Boolits discussion on cast in poly barrels. I have only one gun with a poly barrel, my 9mm Masada. I have fired a few 125 gr RNFP with Speed Green, and Carnauba Red, and a bunch PCed. I slugged the barrel when I first got it and as close as I can measure the "groove" diameter is .356", so I size my cast to .357"-.358". No "dangerous" leading and what little fouling I see is easily removed with normal cleaning...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Thank you for the info.