Thread: Todays project for the shop

Boolit Grand Master

Todays project for the shop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	303830

Today I shortened a 24" stainless steel scale 1/4" made a mount and installed it on the back of the vertical cut off saw. I can now measure to 24" cut with a hand free for the vise. By shortening the end by 1/4" it dosnt rub on the blade. Set it so the center of the line is +.010 inside edge is 0 and outside edge is +.020. This will change some with the blade or new blades as the kerf varies.

Boolit Master

Great idea! I have a piece of tape measure that I can use for that!

Boolit Grand Master

Just remember to shorten the 1st inch by 1/4" so it dosnt rub on the blade.I used slots to mount so it could be adjusted easily

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Just remember to shorten the 1st inch by 1/4" so it dosnt rub on the blade.I used slots to mount so it could be adjusted easily
    Thanks for the advice!

Boolit Grand Master

It is a simple modification, a length of 1/8" X 3/4 x 3/4 or 1" X 1" 2 foot long. slots to mount to the table ( mine were 1/2" each way of center) this gives adjustment to fine tune the scale when installed. 4 drilled and tapped hole to mount the scales to the angle mount. This could be replaced with epoxy and the scale glued to the angle. There i a lot of surface there for the glue. Also the scale need to be slightly below the table for protection.

On my vertical saw the scale and mount is 3"-4" past the table but still inside the lower guards. so it is protected from getting banged into. On a horizontal saw it may stick out in the open where it can be bumped and banged.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	303893

Here is the saw mod finished and all installed extended to stock stop to sit over the scale. Very easy to read and "shade" if needed. Or can be read with the corner of the stock for 1 cut

Boolit Master
    Good job. The other day I was trading stuff at the scrap yard and found an aluminum carpenters square, I think that is what they are called, you know the big ones with no adjustments. It was in the aluminum scrap, it had a little paint on it. I got it at the scrap aluminum price. At that price I could put it on a saw bed.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Ive only made 4-5 cuts since the scales went on yesterday, and a couple today but is it easy now. No hunting for the scale in m shirt pocket or fiddling with a tape measure,

Boolit Master
    Biesemeyer makes fences for cabinet saws (table saws and miter saws) they make a flat tape with adhesive on the back and a clamp on stop check them out i have used one on various table saws for at least 25 years.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen and used the stick on scales on wood working equipment and at work in dry environments. This is a metal cutting vertical cut off saw with coolant. Not sure how well it would hold up to the sharp fine chips and wet environment.

Actually would have been done yesterday but I made the stock stop extension the mirror to what I needed.

Sounds like a great application for these.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=starrett+...l_6y5v0j45b3_e