Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Need Pointers for Lee Quick Trimmer

Need Pointers for Lee Quick Trimmer

Been upgrading my gear, as I get more and more into the reloading and casting.
    I’m in the process of upgrading my case trimming process. I purchased the Deluxe hand powered trimmer, that trims, and chamfers. I also purchased a couple die’s for some cartridges that I use, frequently.
    I read the directions, and watched a couple utubes. I randomly grabbed the 45 acp die, so I put it in my press, threaded all the way down, until knurled knob reached press threads, just as per instructions. I installed my shell holder, and placed a 45 acp shell in it. Idr off top of head, what my case length actually was, but it was > TTL and < stated case length.
    I took the little bushing off of the cutter, because my .45 acp case is < 1.25” as per directions. I turned the black collar clockwise ( from cutting end ) as per directions, to get my longest length, minimal trim. I inserted cutting head, raised shell into die, and cranked the handle.
    My case came out WAY under TTL, and chamfered inside and out, sharp enough to use as a leather punch.
    I created an unusable case. I said that can’t be right, and tried again, with new case, same result.
    I switched out to the .223 die and shell holder. I put in a case that was just about at max length. I put the little bushing , back on the cutter, and double checked that the black collar was still turned clockwise. Raised the shell, cranked the handle.
    Case was still of usable length, but it too, has been chamfered, inside and out to a knife edge.
    Having had a bad day, not understanding where I’m going wrong, and not wanting to wreck more brass, I walked away.
    I have since watched a few more vids, and been through the directions several times…..

Can anyone help me figure out where I’m going wrong?
    Thank you everyone.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Master
    What does TTL mean? I have been loading .45ACP since 1983 and never have trimmed a .45ACP case, they get shorter as they are fired.

If you want to upgrade your reloading gear, you need move on from Lee stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    What does TTL mean? I have been loading .45ACP since 1983 and never have trimmed a .45ACP case, they get shorter as they are fired.

If you want to upgrade your reloading gear, you need move on from Lee stuff.
    I would suspect it meant "trim to length", just my guess.

Hi, yes i meant trim to length. I’ve never had to trim 45 either, just tried it for test of function.
    I’m glad I did because , I know now that I’m doing something wrong.

I could never get my Lee trimmer consistent enough to have confidence in it. I no longer use it.

Boolit Grand Master

They might not be as consistent as a Wilson, but they are at least as consistent as an RCBS. They can vary in length about .002", which is more than acceptable to me.

If the 223 die trimmed a good length, the only thing I can think of for 45 acp is that you have a bad die. I've never had one over chamfer. First I would make sure the blades aren't bound up. If the move free, then the only thing I can think of is you are running it too long. It should only take about 3 seconds to trim a case with a low speed drill. Now that I think of it I wonder if you are trimming your 45s at all. I wonder if you are just chamfering them that short.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    They might not be as consistent as a Wilson, but they are at least as consistent as an RCBS. They can vary in length about .002", which is more than acceptable to me.

If the 223 die trimmed a good length, the only thing I can think of for 45 acp is that you have a bad die. I've never had one over chamfer. First I would make sure the blades aren't bound up. If the move free, then the only thing I can think of is you are running it too long. It should only take about 3 seconds to trim a case with a low speed drill. Now that I think of it I wonder if you are trimming your 45s at all. I wonder if you are just chamfering them that short.
    I believe it is just chamfering short, as the result is a knife edge, that’ll cut ya.
    Going to try again tonight….

Boolit Master

KRH1326, you might want to check your dimensions. "Trim to" on a .45 ACP is 0.892" with a max of 0.898". COAL is 1.275" for the original FMJ; around 1.25" for SWCs. I've measured a LOT of .45ACP cases and never have seen one that was too long.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I have read that people put a smaller ball bearing in the Deluxe quick trim assembly to adjust the nature of the chamfer. I have a 9mm trim die that cuts to short also, not sure what is going on here.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I also have inconsistent results from my Lee trimmer. I quit using it.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    Well the first thing to do is quit trimming 45acp! Then I might suggest, depending on how many rifle calibers you plan on trimming, getting at least a Lyman universal trimmer. I have and use quite a lot of Lee equipment but I’ve never had much luck with their trimmers.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

As for the OP, I suggest you adjust the black collar all the way to the other end, and check again.

I use the Lee trim dies in all the rifle calibers I shoot, and that they are available for. I prefer one tool that cuts, chamfers and deburs. I do have one each of the Forster and Hornady trimmers, for the calibers Lee don't make a trim die for.

I've never trimmed any pistol brass, ever.

I've never trimmed revolver brass either, but I shoot special brass in magnum cylinders.

Boolit Grand Master

I use mine all the time. The Deluxe is designed to chamfer both inside and outside. You can buy Value Quick Trim blades if you do not want this.

Not sure why the negatives, I've had very good luck with mine and have them for almost all the calibers I shoot.

I've never trimmed any pistol brass, ever.

I trim all used brass I get to uniform length when I get it and not often after that. Get a batch, find the shortest in the batch within specs and trim all to that length. Easiest way to get a consistent work up when loading I think.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    I use the Lee quick trim dies quite a bit, with their drill powered cutter. You have to develop a technique, but once you have it they are very consistent. I really like the system and have purchased trim dies for all my common calibers. I have done 45 ACP and can't say I had any issues like the OP is having. I do sympathize with the sharpness when done, they are like razors. I have started chamfering and deburring separately after trimming. The Lee cutter is ok for those functions but it doesn't do the best job.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk