WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: my first attempt at casting

Boolit Man

my first attempt at casting

This is my first attempt at casting bullets. I don't have an experienced caster to hold my hand so I'm basically fly by the seat of my pants here. What little I do know I've learned by reading this forum. I used my plumbers pot and propane stove and was constantly adjusting the temp. I did preheat the mold and at one time even had it to hot and the sprue took a while to set.I will use my Chromalox 50 from here on out because it holds a steady 730 degrees. I noticed some bullets came out shiny and most have a frosted look to them. What is the cause of this? Attached is a pic and any input is welcome. I need constructive criticism its the only way I've ever got better at anything. Thanks, RobClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1415.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	303802

Boolit Master
    Good job. And you must have a very clean "cut" from the sprue because many times that little bump will not allow a long bullet to stand on the base. Looks like well filled casting and no obvious creases in the bands to leak gas past the bullet. The reason you have a different surface appearance is due to temperature fluctuation of the melt, as you already noted. That is not a big issue until you are shooting long distances with rifle bullets. This is due to the presence of antimony in your alloy. The minor difference in appearance can indicate a slight fluctuation in bullet weight and size. For me at my skill level these days, it is meaningless.

Many of us started out as you have, but without the benefit of the internet and only what could be gleaned from books and magazines. You seem to have a good grasp on the basics and understand what you need to improve in the future. You should be proud of your efforts to this point. Now you can practice and have fun.

And post where you live, there may be someone on here that is nearby that could help.

Over the years I've had a number of newbies in my shop to learn how to reload. Up to this point none for casting, but a couple have asked about it.

As for frosty boolits, temp is too high.

But frosty boolits shoot pretty good also. As long as I get good fill out and no wrinkles they get loaded. I don't shoot my cast boolits in competition so accuracy isn't as important as fun. For me, if the load rings a dinger reliably, it gets used.

If you're not a member of a gun club, you may want to look into membership, I belong to three and go to a forth on a weekly basis.
    The active reloaders at all of them are swapping, loaning and selling reloading and casting supplies and equipment continuously.

I'm currently resisting a Lyman 429303 four cavity for $50. Don't need it, don't even own a 44 but it's such a nice mold.......

I've got two boxes of 350 Legend brass in the truck right now to give to buddy who just bought a 350 Legend.

Biggest problem is convincing Joe he doesn't owe me anything for the brass.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-01-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Man
    15meter, I'm in Northeast Ohio a little town called Ravenna. Thanks guys for the input. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobP1 View Post
    15meter, I'm in Northeast Ohio a little town called Ravenna. Thanks guys for the input. Rob
    If I recall the story correctly, the Ravenna arsenal was put there because it has one of the highest percentages of cloud cover in the US.

Makes it tougher to bomb with WWII era bomb sights.

Don't know if it's true, but it makes a great story.

Anything left of the arsenal? I haven't been through there in years. Used to call on Lordstown GM in a prior life. Went past the arsenal several times on my way to the next customer.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-01-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Boolit Man
    Oh you know it well! Yes that story is true. Its one of the cloudiest places in the country. There has been a lot of activity there in the past few years. And as you know no one knows what goes on in there. All I know is don't get caught in there without permission, they shoot first then ask questions. I live about 5 miles from the main gate.

Boolit Master

Nicely done. Double check, by eye, the flatness and sharpness of each boolit base and its driving bands. Flat and sharp edges are desirable. Rounded base edges go back in the pot.

How much "roundness" can be tolerated? Are frosty boolits OK? Do boolit wrinkles and dimples affect accuracy? Only your barrel can "tell you" these. Shoot some. See what the target "tells you".

Spru cutting can leave a divot in the bottom of a boolit base, allowing comparable differences in weight from one boolit to another. Consistent cadence, heat, solidity of spru, others (more reading), can help.

Your target will tell you if the primer+powder+case+boolit+seating+barrel+shooter combination is accurate. So, in those, you can see accuracy is an equation in MANY variables, one of which is the cast boolit.

Your barrel will tell you if it likes the velocity and fit of your cast boolits. Barrel leading is undesirable (meaning more reading)...

If you have not already, download and read this castboolit Sticky, most of which is also applicable to RIFLES:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...or-Handgunners

Check out ALL of the other castboolit Sticky's too...found on EVERY castboolit Forum...for the wealth of information already gathered in this hobby within the realm of shooting hobbies...and don't stop asking questions. We were once where you are now.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 09-01-2022 at 09:36 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    I've been going to a public range here locally but its limited to 200yd. I'm seriously thinking about joining the Thunder Valley Club, its a little drive from me but their range goes from 100yd. to 1mile.

Boolit Master

cool the mold a hair and the frosting will stop. the alloy temp staying up a hair is good.. helps fill out.. but too hot a mold will frost..

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	303804Land Owner, Thanks for the advice. The sprue seemed to be cutting pretty well. Here's a pic what do you think? Rob

Boolit Grand Master

RobP1

While you can pick up quite a bit of information on this forum and a lot of help you'll be better off in the long run to read, studyand learn the basics from a more comprehensive source with all the basics information in one place. I suggest you down load the Lyman #3 Cast Bullet Handbook then read, reread and study the informational "how to" section and articles in the front half. That's how most of us old pre internet casters learned. May seem so "last century" but it's still the best way.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Larry, I just received that book yesterday and I also have " The Paper Jacket" on the way.Rob

Boolit Master

Also read the book from ingot to target by Applegate and Fryxell.

Boolit Grand Master

"Frosty" is my indication the mould and alloy are getting at the right temperature . I like to cast mine at barely/slightly frosty ...
    You get good fill out and a slight frost will help powder coat stick to boolit better .
    I use a 20 pound Lee Magnum Melter 120v. electric pot and a Lyman Ladle , with the little side spout , to pressure cast .
    A large electric pot is the best way to go ... and the Lee Magnum Melter is a great value . I never could master the bottom pour pot and just seemed to cast better boolits with a ladle and pressure casting .
    Good Luck ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man

Name:	00H0H_3kcgKSm8stUz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	303816
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    "Frosty" is my indication the mould and alloy are getting at the right temperature . I like to cast mine at barely/slightly frosty ...
    You get good fill out and a slight frost will help powder coat stick to boolit better .
    I use a 20 pound Lee Magnum Melter 120v. electric pot and a Lyman Ladle , with the little side spout , to pressure cast .
    A large electric pot is the best way toClick image for larger version. 

Name:	00H0H_3kcgKSm8stUz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	303816 go ... and the Lee Magnum Melter is a great value . I never could master the bottom pour pot and just seemed to cast better boolits with a ladle and pressure casting .
    Good Luck ...
    Gary
    Gary, I cast these with my plumbers pot and a propane stove. I was constantly adjusting the temp. From here on out I'll use my Chromalox 50 64lb pot it holds a constant temp of 730 degrees.

Boolit Master
    You didn't come and ask why your bullets were wrinkly. That is a huge win alone as most people really struggle with a cold mold when they make their first casts. Well done for avoiding that trap.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Very nice first attempt, Get a handle on the tempt and your on your way!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Beautiful boolits! you are doing everything right. Next will be figuring out the correct load formula for your particular rifle. I had to try five or six powders before I settled on H4895 for my Interarms 30-06.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobP1 View Post

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	303804Land Owner, Thanks for the advice. The sprue seemed to be cutting pretty well. Here's a pic what do you think? Rob
    Sprue cut looks good, base is way too rounded for me to accept. I would melt those and try again. A larger puddle on the sprue plate may help.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Those are better than my first casting. Read the books you mentioned and have fun. Frosty bullets shoot just fine, but a little reduction in the temperature will get rid of it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast