Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Converting NOE Expander to Powder-Through?

Converting NOE Expander to Powder-Through?

I know I know- if we're gonna go that far, why not make the whole thing from scratch? But I'm curious- if bored out properly, will the NOE pistol expander plugs, made to fit the Lee universal expander die, work in a Lee powder-thru expander? Question No. 2: What size plug do I need for .430 boolits? Was thinking the .434-.430? I'm loading Accurate/John Kort .43-215Cs over a case full of black powder in .44-40, and finish crimping with a Redding Profile Crimp Die.
    Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

Boolit Master
    Just my 3 cents
    I try to have the main body of the sizer .002 under the bullet dia. And the flair an easy slip fit over bullet dia.
    Yes I use the NOE sizers in the Lee flairing tool.

Boolit Master

the 434-430 would be for .432” bullets. when choosing the right NOE expanders add .002” and subtract .002” to your bullet size. those two numbers are the sized expander to get. weird that Al lists them that way since the bullet size will be stamped on the head of the expander. so you will need the 432-428 for your .430” bullet.

Edits added below:
    there is are discussion threads about this on the NOE forum but I didn't dig deep enough to find them. http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/board,7.0.html

This guy does a number of videos pertaining to NOE molds and dies/tools. He lives close to the NOE shop and gets his info direct from Al. In his example he is going for .003" bullet grip. I always aim for .002", but NOE apparently recommends .001", So yea it's confusing and I'm still not sure I'm doing it right. I almost always order two or three size expander plugs. Shipping is $7 for one or three and they are only $7.50 each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Qd00uJDMQ

By the way, Al at NOE is a great guy, I recently ordered some sizers and expanders for 45/70 and somehow screwed up and ordered a .468" sizer when I wanted a .458". Al credited me the cost of the first one and said keep it because shipping it back would be cost prohibitive.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-01-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan