RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Subsonic 45-70 boolit options

Boolit Mold

Subsonic 45-70 boolit options

Good evening everyone,
    let me start by saying that I'm not new to reloading, but I am new to using cast boolits. I'm looking for boolit options to load a 550gr+ round around 1050 fps. So far the only heavy options I am seeing in stock anywhere is this one http://www.acmebullet.com/Bullets/45...product_id=537 .
    Does anyone with experience know if I would run into issues using this casting, or have any suggestions for another round?
    I would also be more than happy to a heavy mold or some cast boolits off a forum members hands if they have some they would like to get rid of.
    Thank you for any help.
    Last edited by Rev_DStan; 08-31-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Master

First, maybe tell us what rifle you're going to shoot it in. Then get with Tom at Accuratemolds.com and tell him what you need or pick one from his catalog. You will have a great mold in short order.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    It will be shot from a Henry X model. It will have a can on it, but it is user serviceable, so lead fouling isn't an issue.

Boolit Master

I don't have an answer, but felt compelled to suggest you may be teetering on the edge of soliciting to buy something. Forum rules prohibit buying or selling anywhere except in the Swap and Selling forum. I'd suggest editing that last sentence a wee bit to stay on the right side of things.

You have been a member for quite a while but have only two posts, so I don't know if you are allowed to post in Swapping n Selling or not.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    I am not able to post in swapping or selling since I haven't made 30 posts. I made this account to buy lead back in 2018 and have since turned it into sinkers.

Boolit Master
    If you rifle will stabilize the bullet ?? I started with 35 grs of blackhorne 209 and worked up to the fps I wanted? I shoot a 500+ gr from lee, in my 45/70 with 38 to 42 grs of blackhorn 209 to get me 1200fps or a tad less> no air space in cartage use wads to fill> i use a milk carton cut wad over powder, a cork wad then a plastic coffee can cover cut wad under bullet, a cleaner load with slight compression>> use a mag primer> You will need to stay with pure lead, to plump up and fill the rifling? You will need to find the diameter best suited for you rifle, I have to size and lube at .461>> Your lube will tell its own story, will it lead ?? I could not find one that was on market that would work for me, so I make my own lube now>>>> If you want to pay shipping? I will send you a stick to try?? pm me?? I took about 5 years to get it all to work< Now no problem holding the x ring at 1000 yds if I do my part<< Have fun and keep them all in the center ??
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 08-31-2022 at 10:34 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    8 gr unique and work up .
    My Marlin compatible RCBS 45-500 casts 530 gr in 50/50 .
    The 458132 Postell Lyman , mine is a 460-543 NOE drops 535gr ,it has a long nose and will only single feed and once the extractor clears the rim it's shoot or disassemble the rifle . Not an issue in a single shot or 86 design .

500-525 gr is where the BC vs shape takes over . The BC is about the same on the rn Postell as the TC 45-500 @ 535 gr .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    If you rifle will stabilize the bullet ?? I started with 35 grs of blackhorne 209 and worked up to the fps I wanted? I shoot a 500+ gr from lee, in my 45/70 with 38 to 42 grs of blackhorn 209 to get me 1200fps or a tad less> no air space in cartage use wads to fill> i use a milk carton cut wad over powder, a cork wad then a plastic coffee can cover cut wad under bullet, a cleaner load with slight compression>> use a mag primer> You will need to stay with pure lead, to plump up and fill the rifling? You will need to find the diameter best suited for you rifle, I have to size and lube at .461>> Your lube will tell its own story, will it lead ?? I could not find one that was on market that would work for me, so I make my own lube now>>>> If you want to pay shipping? I will send you a stick to try?? pm me?? I took about 5 years to get it all to work< Now no problem holding the x ring at 1000 yds if I do my part<< Have fun and keep them all in the center ??
    My eyes are bleeding and my brain is seizing. You made about 10 statements, zero questions, and you used about 30 question marks.

Boolit Master
    Since you're using a lever gun, the first thing you have to consider is what nose profile your gun will feed. Chances are, that means you'll have to respect the standard COAL and can't go too wide on the meplat.
    What's the twist rate on your rifle? Once you know that, you can use your target muzzle velocity and some measurements from a candidate bullet design and plug them into a stability calculator online. I would second the suggestion to go to Accurate Molds first, their catalogue is huge and they can accommodate a range of nominal sizes for your alloy.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

Why so heavy??? If they will even feed in the rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    my eyes are bleeding and my brain is seizing. You made about 10 statements, zero questions, and you used about 30 question marks.
    people who live in glass houses, should not throw stones>>>

Boolit Master
    Welcome to our community! I don't have a 45-70 but picked up my Henry BBX two days ago in 45 LC. I function tested it yesterday and it fed smooth as butter with every boolit I cast for the 45.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Since you're using a lever gun, the first thing you have to consider is what nose profile your gun will feed. Chances are, that means you'll have to respect the standard COAL and can't go too wide on the meplat.
    What's the twist rate on your rifle? Once you know that, you can use your target muzzle velocity and some measurements from a candidate bullet design and plug them into a stability calculator online. I would second the suggestion to go to Accurate Molds first, their catalogue is huge and they can accommodate a range of nominal sizes for your alloy.
    The twist in my rilfe is 1:20. The online calculators show that it should stabilize. Right now I'll probably stick to pre cast boolits since I don't have the funds to set up all the casting equipment necessary.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    people who live in glass houses, should not throw stones>>>
    I think you're using an emoji pack of some sort. Anyone who doesn't have the same one can't see the emojis you're using and they show up as ????? >>>>>. Makes it hard to read with those between every sentence.

Boolit Master

I did an article on Castpics years back on "Whisper loads". One of the calibers was the .45/70 with a Lyman #457422. I was amazed at the accuracy I obtained at subsonic velocties. You might look at that and get some ideas. Although I have moulds that cast in excess of 500 grains, I never entertained the idea of shooting anything that big at subsonic./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    The GMDR lever gun load information has up to 500 grain bullets in 45-70 using various pistol or shotgun powders up to about 1200 feet per second.

I would like to know the "can" you are using.
    Just curious as I have a Banish 46 in ATF prison.
    If I ever see it, I may be interested in the Henry.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I would like to know the "can" you are using.
    Just curious as I have a Banish 46 in ATF prison.
    If I ever see it, I may be interested in the Henry.
    I was just able to pick mine up recently. It's a Bushwhacker 46 gen 2.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    The GMDR lever gun load information has up to 500 grain bullets in 45-70 using various pistol or shotgun powders up to about 1200 feet per second.
    That's as fast as any reasonable person would ever need to got with 500 grains or more. At 1400 FPS it knocked some sense into me.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.