Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger 5.56 AR issue any AR experts?

Ruger 5.56 AR issue any AR experts?

Well, I picked up a new Ruger 5.56 AR the other day. I've a couple of 80% that I've built in past, but I wanted a good put together gun that was a better quality than my builds. Put a decent scope that i got on it and then cleaned it up, oiled it down well and took my handful of factory ammo and a few reloads out and sighted it in. Was loading a couple of rounds at a time and walked it in at 75 yards. 5 shots was pretty good for me. (About as far I can reasonably shoot here).

Started shooting a few more and and started getting hangups. Though it might be my reloads being low power and bolt bot getting back, but even by hand it jams. I used my last couple of factory rounds to test. Gun will pull rounds from left side of magazine well, but from the right, it will strip off and nose will not chamber. Mainly riding up just not getting into the chamber. I only had 55gr and I picked up some 68gr 5.56 ammo and it does it with it also.

I don't see any issue, but I don't really want to polish it or tinker much as it is new. Send back?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Get a different mag.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Get a different mag.
    Did you try other mags?
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Oh heck. Yes, I tried 4 different magazines. One old metal, pmag, a hexmag and another brand. All failed same way

Boolit Master

If it were me before I sent it back. I'd clean the gun, Try a New P-Mag and a box of factory ammo. But I've sent back quite a few Rugers. They always come back perfect. The way it should have been the first time.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

Mine did the same thing, 100 rounds later, it was just fine.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Mags sometimes need to be tweaked to the gun. Or the extension cuts are clocked wrong. Right side often gets override as it's lower in the mag.
    Whatever!

I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can get a few more rounds through it... bcg is plenty loose, falls free to lock up on its own, so it isn't binding that I can see....
    Otherwise, a call and a return... I had to send back my last handgun due to almost no primer strike on everything, even factory ammo.
    Must have been bad gun as they didn't repair, they replaced. (Or just no parts) a Rock island armory STK100. Don't buy one.

falls free to lock up on its own not supposed to do that. Set on bolt head and should NOT drop on it's own. The gas chamber is between the rings and the back of the carrier.
    Whatever!

Can't get out to shoot, but took bcg apart, wiped down, lightly oiled and put back together. Everything looks OK, there is a minor step at both ramps at barrel and lower joint. Might be causing some issue, but not all. I thought the magazine catch was looser than my other gun and I took it off, it has small cutout at top, and a spare I had doesn't, so it tried that, and while it keeps the magazine tighter, with less vertical movement, it didn't help, bcg is just not stripping the case off the right side at all and only a couple of magazines work from the left. Found another magazine brand and it was just the same fail.
    Gonna give them a call.....

Boolit Master

I know you said you didn't want to polish, but the feed ramps need that every now and then on different rifles/pistols I have owned. Some ARs also like to run wet, so grease areas that are metal to metal and oil the BCG real well, that may do the trick.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

I'll bet it's a simple matter of the extension not timed right to the upper receiver. There are basically 2 small feed ramps at the bottom of the extension with a solid triangular portion between them. Sounds like the barrel extension is sitting at about the 5:30 to maybe 5:45 position. That is causing the rounds feeding out of the right side to not hit the feed ramp on the right like they should.

Simple fix is to loosen the barrel nut with a proper wrench and turn the barrel a tudge (easy to do by hand), hold it in the proper position and retighten the barrel nut.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I'll bet it's a simple matter of the extension not timed right to the upper receiver. There are basically 2 small feed ramps at the bottom of the extension with a solid triangular portion between them. Sounds like the barrel extension is sitting at about the 5:30 to maybe 5:45 position. That is causing the rounds feeding out of the right side to not hit the feed ramp on the right like they should.

Simple fix is to loosen the barrel nut with a proper wrench and turn the barrel a tudge (easy to do by hand), hold it in the proper position and retighten the barrel nut.
    It's a little more difficult than that. The index pin is part of the barrel extension and can't "clock" it. If that is the issue, I'd send it back to the Mfg to have them fix that.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Many times the slot in the upper is wider than the index pin allowing the misalignment.

Over the years I've corrected the alignment on numerous of various make.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

When I tried yesterday, the bcg went over most of the rounds. Wouldn't even strip them off slightly with another pmag. Called ruger, when I told her 4 different magazines (actually 5 now), she said send back. It's on its way.....
    If it wasn't new, I'd have take. Apart, polished the ramps and that might have helped. But I think that isn't all the issue.

If none of that helped it then the lower may be milled/ broached out of spec. Could be an issue with the bolt. Since you checked the basics it could be many things! Right choice letting them figure out their foul up!
    Last edited by kfd518; 09-02-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Brand new gun. Send it back to Ruger before you void the warranty.

Never mind the fix it guys here send it BACK you paid for a working firearm!

Yep. And the thing that ticks me off is this isn't one of their $400 low end guns, it is a $1100 list gun. I've probably got more ruger guns than any other brand, but this puts me off them a bit... we'll see what comes back.

Well got it back yesterday afternoon. Yep, Sunday fedex delivery. A couple of days early... didn't have time to go out and shoot, but it did chamber 2 different rounds when bolt was dropped. Note said they replaced the bolt carrier. Looks like the whole bolt carrier and the bolt itself. And then ran 20 rounds through it with no issue. Got the scope back on and I'll go out after lunch and see what it does. Quick on Ruger's part, but it shouldn't have had to go back.....