RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Heavy 45 Colt loads

Heavy 45 Colt loads

Good afternoon to the group. I would like your thoughts about an idea I've been rolling around. Here's the basics. I have a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. The older, stronger version. I have several hundred 300gr. Jacketed flat points, also 100+ new and once fired pieces of 454 Casull brass. The 45 Colt case holds 41.6gr. water and the Casull holds 45.5 since I sold my 454 and I was thinking of trimming the brass to 45 Colt length and using the stronger brass for the Ruger T/C only loads. I do have LabRadar for tests. What's your thoughts on the safety of working up loads in the shortened 454 brass?

Boolit Master
    I would be concerned with the thickness of the shortened brass being able to chamber with a 300gn jacketed bullet seated to fit the Blackhawk cylinder.
    Load up a dummy round and see it it will fit in all 6 chambers, then start low and work your way up.

Another thing to check would be, if you shorten the brass, and the brass gets thicker, will this swage down your cast bullets?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

As pipefitter mentioned I'll try a dummy round. I have a ball micrometer so I can check shortened brass width at the depth the bullets will be seated. I know this is a cast bullet forum but these 300gr. bullets are jacketed and just left over from the 454 days. Just a lot of friends here so I thought I'd ask. Gp

Boolit Master
    I've shortened 454 cases and never had any trouble using them in a Ruger 45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I've shortened 454 cases and never had any trouble using them in a Ruger 45 Colt.
    Thanks for the reply. Could have tried the suggestions above but sometimes a thought comes into my mind and out my mouth it comes. LOL As I have lots of components for the 454. Bullets, brass and primers, I just looking to use what I have. Gp

I too have shortened 454 cases with no issues.

Banner Sponsor

The trimmed 454 cases will probably have less internal capacity, so you won't be able to use a full Ruger load in them.
    If you shorten one, you might measure the water capacity to see how much difference there will be.

Boolit Master
    I'll suggest a different route.

Why not swap the 454 brass, for 45 colt brass. That way,, you have the correct headstamped ammo & less work?

Boolit Master
    With the shortened 454 cases, could you use 45 magnum data.....might be a workable option.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    I'd just use the .45LC cases. The modern ones are more than enough for the Ruger only book loads.

One of the reasons I traded off my BH was the damage to my finger. When gripped high (so the gun will rotate in the hand) the trigger guard hit the second finger hard enough to make a bruise and sometimes draw blood. Maybe just cause I have larger hands, but, it was not pleasant. Added to the tendonitis that developed in my wrist from the heavy loads and I waved good bye to the Ruger.

I would caution against the idea of using .454 brass to go a bit 'over' the book loads. .454 and other hotter rounds are meant for 5 shot cylinders, the ones that do not have a bolt notch right over the chamber.