MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil soaked gun stock problem

Oil soaked gun stock problem

A very close friend has a CMP M1 .30 cal. carbine. He is in the 1st. stages of Parkinson disease. He is concerned about the stock leaving oil on his clothes every time he handles or shoots it.

I volunteered to refinish the stock. I stripped the original finish & have attempted to degrease with: 1. Greased Lightning 2. a citrus based product & 3. Purple Power. My best results so far are with Purple Power. I did try spot applications with acetone (outside use only). The acetone vaporizes very quickly.

I get the best results so far with Purple Power, but only if completely submerged. I tried a 5 gal bucket with PP + water solution which allowed submerging up to the lower part of the wrist (grip). The stock soaked in that overnight. I hosed it down with water & It looked good (slightly purple), but the purple color left as it began to dry in the morning sun (it get hot fast in Georgia). When I left it in the sun to make sure the core was dry, a slight oil residue rose to the top.

The end where the hand guard is secured was left overnight in a 303 can of full strength PP: same result.

I then considered letting the outside dry in the sun & let the core drying take place inside. This looked promising, but after a few days very slight oil residue appeared in several spots. 90% of the surface is OK: it's the other 10% that I'm trying to solve.

A son-in-law refinishes floors. I posed the question to him: if I sealed the stock with urethane before it rose to the surface, would the urethane keep the oil below the surface. He says not. He has that problem with heart pine floors. The leakage always appears by a window that allows direct sun light to shine on the floors. He always warns customers about this. After they wipe the residue with a clean cloth every time it appears, it eventually goes away.

I have Tru-Oil sealer & am thinking about trying it hoping it does a better sealing job & follow up with MINWAX Helmsman urethane.

I have an aluminum bluing tank & could submerge the entire stock in any solution that may completely remove the oil, but do not want to risk ruining the tank for bluing.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Henry

I wouldn't put anything on it that makes sort of a hard shell.
    They chip too easily. Plus, it looks out of place on a military rifle.

I'd go with something that dries, but doesn't stay wet or sticky.
    Heck, once you've got it dried out, even Pledge would probably do a good job.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can still find real MEK that will do what you want without damaging your bluing tank during the soak. I use it for removing both oil and epoxy finishes. For just oil acetone should work also but I have not tried it.

I've done 30 or 40 heavily oiled stocks this way with excellent results. The really bad ones needed to soak for a couple of days.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-31-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Soak it in a bath of acetone this will remove all grease and oil. If heavy you might need a day or more.

I have used acetone, heat, whiting or oven cleaner and just the hot sun. It is a long, tedious, dirty job but can be done effectively.

One hardly knows where to start.....first, I've never heard of an aluminum bluing tank. If the owner of the tank uses hot caustic salts they would immediately be ruined and the tank would begin to dissolve. Bluing tanks are commonly made from sheet steel. If you fire them up and inadvertently put in an aluminum part the part will completely dissolve and not be there when you seek to remove it from the tank, and the bluing salts will be of no further use. If a different bluing system other than hot salts is being used these comments may not apply--but I don't know what that system might be.

Next, yes, the oil will seep through almost any stock finish you care to use. What I would recommend is that you try Easy Off Oven Cleaner from a spray can. The stock must be completely stripped of all metal. Spray a coating of Easy Off on the stock. It will appear white, but after a couple of hours the white will have turned brown, which is the oil being pulled out of the wood. Wipe it off with damp paper towels, and repeat until the coating remains white. Even the most oily stocks usually require no more than four applications over two days. If you find that some areas are brown, like the wrist of the stock right behind the receiver or the sides of the stock just above the butt plate, and others aren't then you can just apply the oven cleaner where the problem persists. In other words, application can be spot or area specific. Be sure to spray the inside of the stock as well, and wipe the results out. Sometimes it looks like mud! After all the oil is out you may find that the color has bleached a bit, which is easily solved with an application of stain. Some claim that Easy Off, which contains lye, harms the wood, but I've never found that to be the case. Sanding to your satisfaction and application of TruOil should give you a very presentable stock. If, after several coats, the TruOil is too glossy for your taste you can rub it back with 4-0 steel wool, then sparingly apply a coat of carnauba paste wax.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    For cosmolene soaked stocks I've used a couple of treatments with oven cleaner. Strip off all metal, spray on the oven cleaner (use PPE as its caustic and do so in a well-ventilated area!), let work for 30-45 minutes, and using a scrub brush rinse with water. Allow to air dry and repeat. The stock will come out very bleached looking and the feather raised. Knock down the feather, stain to your desire, and finish with your desired finish (I'm partial to boiled linseed oil). The oven cleaner is harsh but will degrease well.

Boolit Master
    been there done that, your gonna have to cook it out with low heat, it will take a long time.

If your kitchen oven is big enough and your wife leaves for long periods of time, stick it in the oven on an old pan at 200-225 deg, it will not damage the wood. take it out every few hours and wipe up the pooling oil. Also every time you have to stop cooking it, you should spray it with degreaser and rinse with water. What your doing is letting the clean outer shell pull the oil from deep in the stock out. Its a repetitive process.
    A former co worker made a cooking oven. Had some sheet metal bent into a box just big enough for the stock, added an incandescent lightbulb inside, and stands it up. He just plugs it in and cleans it our until it stops dripping in a few days or weeks.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    On most of the mil surp stocks that I have done , or am planning to do.
    I strip off the finish with paint stripper.
    Then I use a heat gun to warm the stock and bring the oil to the surface of the wood.
    Don't Overheat the wood with the heat gun.
    It will burn the wood.
    I then just wipe it off with a paper towel.
    Then I keep repeating the process until the oil is mostly removed.
    If the oil on the stock isn't too bad.
    I put the stock in a black plastic bag , fill it up with Cat Litter or oil absorption powder from an Auto parts store.
    If you leave the bag and stock out in the sun and move it around every so often , the powder will absorbed the oil when the stock gets warmed up out in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    One hardly knows where to start.....first, I've never heard of an aluminum bluing tank. If the owner of the tank uses hot caustic salts they would immediately be ruined and the tank would begin to dissolve. Bluing tanks are commonly made from sheet steel. If you fire them up and inadvertently put in an aluminum part the part will completely dissolve and not be there when you seek to remove it from the tank, and the bluing salts will be of no further use. If a different bluing system other than hot salts is being used these comments may not apply--but I don't know what that system might be.

Next, yes, the oil will seep through almost any stock finish you care to use. What I would recommend is that you try Easy Off Oven Cleaner from a spray can. The stock must be completely stripped of all metal. Spray a coating of Easy Off on the stock. It will appear white, but after a couple of hours the white will have turned brown, which is the oil being pulled out of the wood. Wipe it off with damp paper towels, and repeat until the coating remains white. Even the most oily stocks usually require no more than four applications over two days. If you find that some areas are brown, like the wrist of the stock right behind the receiver or the sides of the stock just above the butt plate, and others aren't then you can just apply the oven cleaner where the problem persists. In other words, application can be spot or area specific. Be sure to spray the inside of the stock as well, and wipe the results out. Sometimes it looks like mud! After all the oil is out you may find that the color has bleached a bit, which is easily solved with an application of stain. Some claim that Easy Off, which contains lye, harms the wood, but I've never found that to be the case. Sanding to your satisfaction and application of TruOil should give you a very presentable stock. If, after several coats, the TruOil is too glossy for your taste you can rub it back with 4-0 steel wool, then sparingly apply a coat of carnauba paste wax.

DG
    I should have explained: I only do the slow rust process. My tank only uses distilled water heated to change Fe3 into Fe4.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Soak it in a bath of acetone this will remove all grease and oil. If heavy you might need a day or more.
    I use this method, using a 6 inch PVC pipe one end capped one end with screw fitting made up. Put stock in pour full of acetone from gallon cans. I wait a full 24 hours then drain the acetone out back into the cans it came from. I leave the wood hang outside under cover for another 24 hours. Not oil free another soak in the acetone repeat.

Thanks to everyone for the quick & valuable response. It is good to know that it's not a 1 shot process: perseverance is the key. I'll start the over cleaner process.

I love this forum........such a wealth of knowledge.

Henry

Most folks look for an instant result, no such thing, slow and dirty, repeat and repeat again. Do not get oven cleaner in your eyes.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

after stripping wrap it in absorbent paper towels , place it in large black trash bag , + tape it tightly - place it in hot sun [ car dashboards work well ] - every few days remove it , wipe down w/acetone + replace with new clean paper towels - might have to repeat several times if badly oil saturated - when no more oil seems to leech out ,wash with hot water + detergent , rinse + then let bare wood dry completely before refinishing -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Similar to above for decades started back in the Mil-Surp glut, cosmo, oil, grease, whatever. Paint stripper a couple times then two wraps of paper towel tight in tight wrapped black bag in truck bed on bedliner, in Florida that is hot enough. Every day change wrap till seems to stop leaching. Acetone in spray gun with stock vertical flushing off to bottom. Stain to medium or dark walnut (Minwax) and then a couple coats store bought Tung oil (yes the commercial big box kind with polymers from the guy with glasses leaning over the table) as final. #0000 wool as needed throughout, NO SANDPAPER! Bunches done this way and as stated patience is a friend.

Boolit Master

If the oil/cosmoline is deep into the grain of the wood, it will take deep cleaning to get it out. Not just an overnight job. Once you have the stock pretty well done, wrap it in an old towel and put it in an oven for 8 to 12 hours with the heat no higher than 120 degrees. You will be surprised at how much oil/cosmoline will still come out. I have done several and some were stored for years in arsenals and the grease was deep into the wood. Perserverence is the key. BTW, you will probabaly never get it all out. james

Boolit Master

Use vinegar in the hot sun to remove the oil coming to the surface. As mentioned it will probably be a slow process.
    Rick

Boolit Master

I recently worked over an oil-soaked Enfield stock using a harbor freight heat gun. It cooked the oil out very well and I was impressed. Whenever I had a stock like this I had a hard time getting out all the oil and was never very satisfied with the results when I used various cleaners and solvents. The heat gun did the best.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I refinished an old NR Henry for my bil. It was his grandpa's gun. I kept wiping the stock with a rag soaked with alcohol. Kept repeating it, until the cloth did not pick up any more oil. Let it dry for a few days, then finished with Lin-speed.

Boolit Master

Warm it up good, wipe off the surface oil, then spray on the oven cleaner. It you can, keep it warm after spraying the oven cleaner.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast