MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: 7.62 X 39 AR Upper

Boolit Buddy

7.62 X 39 AR Upper

I've been sitting on a Rock River lower for maybe twenty years. Looks like if it is ever going to be turned into a rifle I'd better get on with before Biden makes it impossible. I don't know what I don't know, so I seek advice as to who's barreled upper to use. Something in a flat top, reasonably accurate that will feed 150-160 grain lead bullets from a ten round mag. I have had good luck using 1 in 9.5 with the 7.62 X 39 so would like to stay close to that.

Is .308" the norm in a deal like this or is .313-.3135" used (like the SKS and maybe AK) to accommodate mil spec?
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 09-02-2022 at 04:12 PM. Reason: language censor violation

I've used Anderson and Palmetto barrels and was very pleased. I believe that they both were .308" 1-10" twist.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Use an enhanced firing pin if you plan to use Russian ammo and asc mags are the most reliable in that cal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I've used Anderson and Palmetto barrels and was very pleased. I believe that they both were .308" 1-10" twist.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I will check them out, thanks!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Use an enhanced firing pin if you plan to use Russian ammo and asc mags are the most reliable in that cal.
    Is a non-enhanced pin okay with standard primers in the AR, or would you use it regardless? Thanks for the tip on the ASC mag's. With regards to them, is it the hi-cap mag's you're referring to when saying they are more reliable? Are there ten round 223 mags that are okay?

Boolit Buddy
    You will probably be ok with a standard pin . 223 mags won't work You need 7.62x39 mags. I've been told by many users on ar15.com asc are most reliable in that cal. They also recommend a extra power hammer spring for the milspec primers.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know about the mag's. You know what they say about assuming - and I was assuming .223 mag's would work. I'll keep the stronger spring in mind but gonna stick with handloads for the foreseeable future.