Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Can my TC Contender Frame be made to open easier?

Can my TC Contender Frame be made to open easier?

I have a T/C Contender action that according to the serial number was made in 1979. I bought it new & it is in great shape. But I guess it would be described as a "Hard-to-Open" (HtO) model. Can this be fixed to be an "Easy-to-Open" (EtO) model? If so, is that a hard or easy project? Is my model less desirable & less valuable because it is HtO?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, advice & comments.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master

Mike Bellm used to do the conversion and he also sold a kit to do it but I believe he is out of the Contender business.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

T/C used to do this conversion too. I've been shooting Tenders from the mid 70's when there was no other option available. You just have to develop the strength in your middle finger to "snap" the trigger guard open by giving it a quick, sharp tug.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I had an old, 2nd gen as far as I know, Contender that was hard to open. It had the cross bolt safety. It turns out that the locking bolts on the barrels are not all interchangeable. Once I got the right locking bolt in, my contender could be opened with a pinky. I've shot the newer models plenty, and I couldn't tell any difference. Nothing significantly alters the value of a Contender frame other than condition. Some guys like the old ones for the adjustable trigger (which really isn't even that fantastic), and some guys like the newer ones for the better selector. The newest ones, G2's are usually the ones sought after since they are stronger and fix that stupid recocking issue.

Unless you need two hands to open it like mine did, I say just leave it be.

Thanks for your replies. At one time, I had a half-dozen barrels & now I have sold them all except one .22lr, 10" bull barrel. Opening & closing the HtO action was never a problem for me, but I was really wondering if the older action was more or less desirable & if that hurt or help the resale value.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.