Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Appliances. Don't make them like they used to.

Boolit Grand Master

Modern Appliances. Don't make them like they used to.

Yesterday our 10yr old freezer stopped working. In less than 15yrs we have bought 2 freezers, a washing machine, 2 stoves and 3 fridges.

It took 50yrs for my Serval fridge to die and the 50yr+ Magic Chef gas stove with pilots is still going strong.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

They're all like that.

We live in a throw away society. We don't fix much of anything any more.
    We throw everything that doesn't work right----- including each other.

If you get more than 4-5-6 years out of a refrigerator bought in the last 10 years or so, you're doing pretty well.
    Washers, dryers, dish washers, ovens, and micro waves with a circuit board and electronic brain ain't much better.

Neither are outside units for home air conditioners.
    Ours is barely 3 years old, and I got the replacement condenser fan motor for it in today.
    It hasn't burned out yet, but it has a death rattle from the shaft's sleeve bearing trashing out.

I like replacing sleeve bearing motors with the next size bigger, and with ball bearings you can oil periodically.
    But ball bearing motors in the smaller sizes are hard to find now days.
    Now, instead of oiling the bearings- you get to change out a $100.oo motor every few years.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-30-2022 at 06:00 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Couple Whirlpool plants near me. Talking to some of the employees, it seems that these products are designed to crap out in 5-6 years. Couldn't get a reliable name for a refrigerator but everyone said Speed Queen if you want a good washing machine. Allegedly, Samsung is the very worst, don't know for sure, never owned one
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Allegedly, Samsung is the very worst, don't know for sure, never owned one
    That's been my experience with them, and a neighbor buddy who got one of their really expensive ones.
    We got right at four years out of those two.
    We have a niece that has worked at one of the big box stores for several years
    and she says Sam Sung leads the parade for returns.

EVERYONE!

Samsung is the very worst Yup, exploding washer, 2 yr fridge.
    It's the labor that sets the price point. Same with repair. Too expensive, if under a warrantee, throw some parts at it until time is up.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Maytag used to make good stuff now I guess its the same old thow away junk just like the rest of em, not worth repairing if they go bad.
    whatever did happen to the Maytag man

Boolit Master

Samsung makes really good computers and phones. Appliances, not so much as far as I am concerned.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Couple Whirlpool plants near me. Talking to some of the employees, it seems that these products are designed to crap out in 5-6 years. Couldn't get a reliable name for a refrigerator but everyone said Speed Queen if you want a good washing machine. Allegedly, Samsung is the very worst, don't know for sure, never owned one
    Yup, Speed Queen states they will last 30 years but the downside is they are 3 times the money. I just replaced a dead dishwasher, a dying washing machine and the drier.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Maytag used to make good stuff now I guess its the same old thow away junk just like the rest of em, not worth repairing if they go bad.
    whatever did happen to the Maytag man
    Maytag is Whirlpool!
    I just replaced one with another brand and it is the same thing underneath, it was too much trouble to bring it back. The old one only lasted 4 years!

[QUOTE=farmbif;5450975]Maytag used to make good stuff now I guess its the same old thow away junk just like the rest of em, /QUOTE]

If you try to repair something, you'll see listing for the part you need applies to several other brands & models too.
    Most individual appliance components are like that.

You'll only see a few that are unique to one brand--- if it's one you need, it's probably discontinued too.

EVERYONE!

There are 5 dominant major appliance manufacturers. Panasonic, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE and LG.

Nearly every brand you see is manufactured by one of these 5 companies. The one's that are left are in niche markets mainly.

Mom and Dad had a whirlpool washer dryer set they bought when they got married. I was born in 52, set was still working well past the 2000's.
    So when I got married I bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer. Ten years later washer quit, we had the service guy out. He looked at it, told me I was better off buying a new one. Then he showed me in his service book the expected life span. Eight years, he said you got lucky, got an extra 2 years.

We live in a disposable economy, appliances are designed to fail and be replaced.

My main freezer, big upright type was in my parents house in the early 80's. It is at least 40 years old, had Freon added once that I know of.
    Its on my porch now and is solid as a rock. If it fails I'll have to replace it. But I would not expect to get more than 10 years out of a new one.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

We haven't bought a new appliance, other than a water heater, in 20 years. I don't know how many times I've repaired washers, dryers, and the dishwasher. I've replaced a couple freezers with used ones.

A few years ago my wife really wanted to replace the ancient washer/drier set we bought used for $180 when we got married, so we went down to Lowe's to price them. I'm just too cheap to pay new price, and the sales guy irritated me. I asked him what the expected life span was; he said typically six or seven years, but since we have such a huge family, we should expect four or five years. We have four kids, not considered "huge" by any measure I'm aware of.

So anyhow, we found a much nicer, newer set at an estate sale shortly after that, for $100. They've been working great ever since.

I am getting tired of tinkering with the dishwasher, but again, too cheap to replace something that I can fix. A while back a coworker mentioned that his dishwasher had a problem, leaking or something, so he called Lowe's to bring them a new one and haul away the old one. I asked him why he didn't take a look and see if he could fix it, probably an easy fix, and he works on much bigger and more complicated machines at work. He just didn't want to mess with it. I guess he has a lot more disposable income than I do, probably because of my huge family.

So my question is about the environment, and our "carbon footprint". Where's the outcry about all the waste of throwing away millions of tons of appliances every year?

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    So my question is about the environment, and our "carbon footprint". Where's the outcry about all the waste of throwing away millions of tons of appliances every year?
    You've stumbled onto the dirty little secret:
    It's the same as why cars have a planned obsolescence, where they reach a point and are beyond economical repair.
    It would threaten way too many employment opportunities and job security.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Sears Kenmore Washer and dryer. The washer died at 31. The replacement lasted 3 yrs. The dryer is 36 and still going. I weep when I think what a replacement for the dryer is going to cost!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It would threaten way too many employment opportunities and job security.
    And the economy as a whole. If everyone in the US lived like I do, the global economy would collapse overnight.

Boolit Buddy
    A man comes out to fix my cloth washer and he sets up his tablet to watch how to fix it video on U tube .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    A man comes out to fix my cloth washer and he sets up his tablet to watch how to fix it video on U tube .
    Well don’t that just inspire all sorts of confidence?

Good grief!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

I went to an Emerson appliance motor plant in 2000, was there 5 years. We were making all the motors for Whirlpool and Maytag washers and many for dishwashers. the motors had an expected life of about 5 years more than the appliances they went in. I was working in the shaft department, making all the shafts for our product, and many that went to another Emerson plant in Mississippi and one in Mexico. Waiting a conference call meeting to commence, one of our people asked one of the mexicans why they got their shafts from us instead of producing them in Mexico, he said they could not make them as cheap as we could. Within a few months the factory in Mississippi was closed and a few months later Emerson started having the Chinese produce some sample shafts. The first couple of shipments were junk. After prodding from Emerson they made some better ones and Emerson committed to buying shafts from them and reducing the size of out shaft department. The chinese shafts were nearly a penny cheaper than the ones we were producing, ours were an average of 10 1/2 cents each. Within 3 weeks of starting the switch, shipping costs nearly doubled.

Also during that switch, Whirlpool bought Maytag and reduced the numbers of motors they were buying, causing us to greatly reduce production. From day 1, Whirpool and Maytag were demanding lower prices and we were constantly making changes to our processes to reduce materials use and labor of production. I believe the motor quality remained high but it was getting harder and harder to do that.

When I started in 2000, that plant had just celebrated 50 years of production and had about 1700 employees. 5 1/2 years later they were down to about 350 employees and had just been sold to a Japanese company.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    I went to an Emerson appliance motor plant in 2000, was there 5 years. We were making all the motors for Whirlpool and Maytag washers and many for dishwashers. the motors had an expected life of about 5 years more than the appliances they went in. I was working in the shaft department, making all the shafts for our product, and many that went to another Emerson plant in Mississippi and one in Mexico. Waiting a conference call meeting to commence, one of our people asked one of the mexicans why they got their shafts from us instead of producing them in Mexico, he said they could not make them as cheap as we could. Within a few months the factory in Mississippi was closed and a few months later Emerson started having the Chinese produce some sample shafts. The first couple of shipments were junk. After prodding from Emerson they made some better ones and Emerson committed to buying shafts from them and reducing the size of out shaft department. The chinese shafts were nearly a penny cheaper than the ones we were producing, ours were an average of 10 1/2 cents each. Within 3 weeks of starting the switch, shipping costs nearly doubled.

Also during that switch, Whirlpool bought Maytag and reduced the numbers of motors they were buying, causing us to greatly reduce production. From day 1, Whirpool and Maytag were demanding lower prices and we were constantly making changes to our processes to reduce materials use and labor of production. I believe the motor quality remained high but it was getting harder and harder to do that.

When I started in 2000, that plant had just celebrated 50 years of production and had about 1700 employees. 5 1/2 years later they were down to about 350 employees and had just been sold to a Japanese company.
    The University degreed bean counters have been waging war US businesses for a long time. The rot in the higher education system has an issue since the 70's. Most people have not been aware of it until todays woke culture has pushed things too far. Executive Order 12850 signed in 1993 EO changed the way the U.S. made trade deals with China and led to the loss of tens of millions of American manufacturing jobs
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-31-2022 at 12:21 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast