WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Modern Appliances. Don't make them like they used to.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yup, Speed Queen states they will last 30 years but the downside is they are 3 times the money. I just replaced a dead dishwasher, a dying washing machine and the drier.
    Bought a Speed queen washer 20 months ago. The price was middle of the road not nearly high end. Stay away from bells and whistles on appliances. It's the electronics in them that are failing.

Gas water heaters used to have a pilot and a high temp safety (ECO). Then Congress mandated electronic ignition, ignoring that the pilot was only heating the water, along with vent dampeners and side power vents they have a lot more stuff. They also have about 1/3 the life but it is no longer the tank that leaks mandating change. The electronics are 65% of the cost of a new water heater and the labor to replace is almost the same so yo ugo with a new heater.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Our Samsung dishwasher was good for 7 years, and then the electronics crapped out. It won't even start now, and never did do as good a job of getting the dishes clean as we would have liked. We made the decision to NOT replace it.
    If you do replace it, look at Asco a Swedish company.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's good stuff. I had a buddy who thought you could make a boat trailer out of it if you wanted to.
    Working on the third load, and is working perfectly. Not much area to fill, but so far so good

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    If you do replace it, look at Asco a Swedish company.
    Asko has changed ownership and is no longer made in Sweden.

Boolit Buddy
    We had a Maytag washer we got as a wedding present that lasted 43 years. The only thing that had to be replaced was a thermal overload switch. Eventually the tub rusted and began to leak. Since I replaced it with top of the line Maytag. It began throwing out error codes and had to replace a dispenser motor. It keeps throwing code which magically disappear if you unplug the machine and reset it.If I had to replace one now I would search for an old machine I could fix instead of buying new. I just repaired an old Kenmore for a friend and replaced the transmission and coupler. Parts were $17 and it runs like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Couple Whirlpool plants near me. Talking to some of the employees, it seems that these products are designed to crap out in 5-6 years. Couldn't get a reliable name for a refrigerator but everyone said Speed Queen if you want a good washing machine. Allegedly, Samsung is the very worst, don't know for sure, never owned one
    Samsung is the worst and I vowed not to buy one but bought a Sears brand instead. It has a label in it that says "Made in USA" but when the compressor line started to loose the refrigerant, the service man looked at the serial # and sure enough, it is a Samsung piece of crap. The CEO's sell the time honored name to the manufacturer of junk and pull the wool over our eyes and our politicians love it, evidently.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Asko has changed ownership and is no longer made in Sweden.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

We have a Maytag dishwasher that quit washing effectively yesterday. It's at least 10 years old, probably a fair amount older- came with the house.

Yep, I knew exactly what to do, done it many times before. I do it at least once or twice a year. I showed my son how to do it so he can try next time.
    The kids aren't careful loading it, so little bit of plastic and whatnot end up down in the little orifices of the spinners and impellers. I take a screwdriver with various bits, and take the innards apart and clean them up. All kinds of nastiness comes out. Then I carefully reassemble all the bits and pieces, and it works like a new one.

I wonder how many appliances get thrown away every year, that really just need cleaned up or very minor repairs.

We had an AC unit at work that quit working. Our HVAC people gave us a $2k quote to replace it. It was only a year or two old so I took it apart and took a look at it.

I found a small relay on a control board that was bad. I couldn't find a replacement board, but I did find a replacement relay on Amazon for something like $5. I had to un-solder the old one and solder the new one into the board, but it's still working great, several years later. They were going to scrap a $2,000 AC over a $5 relay. It amazes me that manufacturers will cheap out on components even on more expensive units. They probably buy those relays for 75 cents each, by the thousands. The bean-counters save 50 cents per unit by not buying a better relay. That tiny savings per unit adds up into many thousands for the manufacturer, more profit for the bottom line, and what do they care if some of them fail prematurely?

Worst part is, I didn't get much credit for a cheap, easy fix. My employer does not encourage repairs on a component level. They would have been fine with just replacing the whole unit.

Yeah, last company I worked for was like that. I would change out lower fluorescent tubes for free, but manager wanted me to call for the lighting techs. Pay them, always 2 guys, a couple of hundred, always one hour minimum, to change out a handful of bulbs. Yes, no issue if a ballast. But just bulbs? Nah.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I've never bought a new appliance.
    after reading this thread, I can say that my thriftiness has blessed me with not having to replace appliances very often in the last 30 yrs of living in this house.
    On the plus side our house came with a dryer that was old 15yrs ago when we bought it. Replaced a belt and heating element is all and still going but we hang our clothes outside 95% of the time
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I wonder how many appliances get thrown away every year, that really just need cleaned up or very minor repairs..
    A bunch.
    Usually a washer goes out before the matching dryer does. Then an amazing number of people buy a new set.
    I'd see several at the dump. One time I took my dead washer to the dump on the way to buy a new one.
    My buddy that managed the dump told me one time,
    "Take that one over there. It's new but the guy's wife said it was too loud, she didn't like it, and wanted a new set".
    I went home with a almost new mid level Maytag that lasted me another 6-7 years.

I was about 50 when I bought my first lawn mower. When I bent the crankshaft on one mowing over a rock or something-
    I'd just find another one set out in the trash. For about 5 bucks, I'd change the oil & spark plug,
    the little diaphragm between the carb. and gas tank, maybe get a new air filter, and it'd last another few years.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Its about sales. If you make it last last too long you lose money.
    Where that line is that makes it no longer acceptable is yet to be determined but we are getting closer and closer.
    As far as planned obsolescence goes, its in everything we use and i would say that firearms are probably one of the only lasting exceptions.
    Cameras are good example of how they sucker you, phones and computers are another. The further you keep away from tech, the better as far as this goes. I am no fan of modern electric cars that is for sure, they will be as prone to replacement as cell phones. The modern integral batteries in electronics are sold as being so much better and convenient but when they die, the whole thing is scrap.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    Sears Kenmore Washer and dryer. The washer died at 31. The replacement lasted 3 yrs. The dryer is 36 and still going. I weep when I think what a replacement for the dryer is going to cost!
    Ole Jack
    Yep Kenmore, my wife has had hers since we got married and I worked for Sears delivery, that was 39 yrs ago yesterday, her washer regularly cuts off the lovejoy coupler (which I keep a spare) and has smoked two timers, which I now keep a spare (super easy to fix machine) her dryer has burned up 3 elements and 4 drive belts (like the washer, she really over loads them, think 60lbs of wet bath sheets) but they keep on ticking like a Timex watch, I'm scared to replace because of the junk out there now!!
    Last edited by brass410; 09-11-2022 at 01:27 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    I'm scared to replace because of the junk out there now!!
    I think the only way to get a heavy duty, old school washer is to find out where to buy the commercial, coin operated ones.
    We had some in the barracks at Quantico. They had the coin slide thing removed and worked like a normal washer.
    They'd certainly be expensive, but it might also be a one time investment.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    My 5 year old tank water heater on it's 2nd Honeywell thermostat which didn't last 2 years and is overheating again.

When Unitrol made the controls they lasted the life of the tank. Got over 30 years out of one.

It pains me when we lose the ability to produce good quality products.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I think the only way to get a heavy duty, old school washer is to find out where to buy the commercial, coin operated ones.
    We had some in the barracks at Quantico. They had the coin slide thing removed and worked like a normal washer.
    They'd certainly be expensive, but it might also be a one time investment.
    Small appliance shop in nearest town, carries them. They are Speed Queens. This is a resort are........ the resort owners purchase them for their clients use.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    Not sure when this trend of every appliance being junk started. Washer and dryer set we got in the early 90's lasted over 20 years. Picked up an extra fridge for garage beer and such about ten years ago. It's a mid-late 90's model and has been running like a champ.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234