MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Lowall Project

Lowall Project

I was given a Leatherwood 8X USMC scope that was in very poor rusty condition. A few hours in the workshop and I had it fixed and thought I might fit it to my Lowall project which will be chambered for the original 22 WCF.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Mr Bad Ass sir, that picture shows a high wall. Did your low wall project involve building up the side walls, or is that scope just being displayed on a different rifle? Either way, that is a highly desirable scope, and looks good right where it is. Most of my long tube scopes came from Lyman, but that Leatherwood scope raises the bar for cool!

Froggie from “Up Over”
    "It aint easy being green!"

Picked up the little Winchester Lo-wall today and find that it has a Hiwall breech block, very unusual?

Boolit Buddy
    The first Low Walls produced had the tall breech blocks.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can tell it’s a correct high low wall block because the back corners are more rounded than those of a regular high wall. The early low wall receivers I’ve seen all had the flares like yours, and probably a slightly thicker stock than the later, smooth side actions. Those transitional low wall actions seem to have only been made for the first couple of years of LW production.
    Does yours have a #2 barrel? It looks like it’s filling up that low wall action nicely.

Froggie

By the serial no. it was made in 1887 and yes it does have a #2 x 24" barrel that I'm going to resleave to 224 1:14" twist

Boolit Grand Master
    Making a 22 Hornet or a 222 R out of it? Either way, it should be a winner. Many years ago I had a high block low wall in 32 RF. We bushed the block and rechambered it to 32 H&R. Bore was kinda mediocre, but it shot those little half jacketed bullets designed for M-1 Carbine plinkers pretty well. Kinda wish I’d kept that one!

BTW, what’s the story on the high wall pictured in your first post up there? That looks pretty nice with that long tube scope on board. Is that the deluxe, checkered stock? I can’t make the image large enough to tell.

Froggie