WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass receivers and copper removing bore cleaners!!! Help

Boolit Master

Brass receivers and copper removing bore cleaners!!! Help

Yesterday in preparation before slugging a friend's 45-70 Henry H010B with brass receiver, I slid my Teslong bore scope in the barrel to get an idea what it looked like. He has been shooting Precision-One trapdoor ammo that has what appears to be copper plated bullets. Although the copper fouling was far from bad I was going to clean it out. Then it occurred to me how do you keep the copper removing bore cleaners from getting on and messing up the shiny brass receiver (both inside and out). So I stopped right there.

I have zero experience with Henrys and am pretty close to clueless on how to proceed. This is a like new specimen and I have no desire to be the one who mucks it up.
    Last edited by oley55; 08-29-2022 at 04:12 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Years ago, I got a CMP M1 Garand that had been shot without cleaning the bore until the barrel was 'ruined'.
    Just for a project, I wanted to see how just wet patches and Hoppe's #9 would do.

I wasn't in a hurry, so every other day or so, I'd run another wet patch through it.
    No bore brush, just the patches.

In 2 months, they quit coming out green, and the barrel looked new.
    Granted- using a nylon or bronze bore brush would have turned the project into a couple of scrubbing sessions,
    but I just wanted to see how the Hoppe's would do all by itself.

It's your deal, but I tend to gravitate away from the real harsh, 'miracle' bore solvents.
    And also be careful about wiping the excess Hoppe's off the outside.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    might try just using a brass brush with regular old hoppes #9 and then clean up with regular cleaning supplies and see what that does.
    Henry uses a very hard brass formulation might contact them and see what they recommend if regular cleaning supplies dont work

Boolit Master

To be clear I know how to remove cooper fouling from a barrel, but am way nervous about the mostly enclosed brass receiver. I can see cleaning with the muzzle down but pushing the patches into the receiver will still have to fall through the ejection port and get stuff where I don't think I want it.

Besides Hoppes #9, I was considering Pro-Shot Products: Copper Solvent IV. It does not seem to be aggressive like Sweets or other ammonia based products. The Pro-Shot has a pleasant odor and seems more like a liquid detergent than a solvent.
    Last edited by oley55; 08-29-2022 at 05:22 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    seems more like a liquid detergent than a solvent.
    Blasphemy !
    Burn the witch!

Hoppe's smells so good, it should be offered as air freshener and deodorant.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    where's the like button. hoppes #9 cologne would be a big hit

Moderator Emeritus

I would call the Henry people....I have been wondering the same thing for my Golden Boy. I think I will just take the brass cover off of the weapon before I use any cleaning products.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Finally! Some one beside me that thinks Hoppe's #9 Smells good!

Boolit Master
    My girl friend used hoppes as prefume?? Drove the guys nuts !!!!!!

Boolit Master

It would me!

Boolit Buddy
    Another #1 on the Hoppes. In the top five of mine, right up there with garlic bread in the oven. I'd be first in line for #9 soap.
    That is the smell I remember 50 plus years ago going with my dad to the local gunsmith/used gun dealer on Saturday mornings. Loved that place. Sorry to the OP for the thread drift but a nice mental trip down memory lane.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Blasphemy !
    Burn the witch!

Hoppe's smells so good, it should be offered as air freshener and deodorant.
    It is:

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-No-Air.../dp/B01AYEJK1Q

https://www.humphreyshandmade.com/co...spray/hoppes-9

Boolit Buddy
    NyFirefighter357, That is too funny. How do you guys find this stuff. I need to get out of my cave more often.
    Tony

Boolit Bub
    Just plug the chamber and dont run the patch all the way through

Boolit Master
    Friend of mine had a 7x57 Mauser with a horribly copper fouled bore. He put a rubber cork in the muzzle and filled the entire barrel with Hoppes #9, which is not as much liquid as you might think. He dumped it every few days and wiped it until the green disappeared. I don’t recall how long it took but the bore was clean within a few weeks.

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar
    Yeah, but it has to be the old Hoppe’s before they took the stuff out that could give you cancer. Now that stuff smelled good!
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    where's the like button. hoppes #9 cologne would be a big hit

Boolit Master
    I think that the receivers are bronze, naval bronze, or maybe naval brass, but whatever they are it’s a copper alloy and so I’d avoid strong copper solvents.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang View Post
    Yeah, but it has to be the old Hoppe’s before they took the stuff out that could give you cancer. Now that stuff smelled good!
    Yes it did and it worked way better. It was Nitro benzene that was removed.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Ed's Red.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    Hopper’s #9 brings back memories of gun cleaning with my dad. I agree it should be made into an air freshener along with PVC glue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast