Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 38-357 rat shot loads

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    That might be a bit rough on the garage!
    OYes! The owner of a nursery's son invited me to go rat shooting in their barns with him one night. We used our. 22 rifles. We saw one large rat perched on a red wall-mounted First Aid cabinet. He shot, the rat disappeared, but there was a round .22 caliber shot pattern on the cabinet. I don't know what he told his dad, but the invitation was not repeated.
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master
    Wear eye protection for sure.
    If there are no pets around like cats or dogs; poisons will work. There are even some poisons that are dog and cat safe that consists of corn(maize) products that rats not being ruminants cannot handle in the GI tracts.
    Powdered Corn Cob (PCC) is marketed as a natural and environmentally-friendly alternative to anticoagulant rodenticide. The preparation was approved in July 2013 under the European Biocide Directive Program (Annex 1/1A BPD 98/8EEC) . It works by causing acute and ultimately lethal dehydration.
    History

Formulated and manufactured by Zea Sciences[1] over 15 years, PCC was granted EU under the European Biocide Directive Program, known as Annex 1/1A BPD 98/8EEC, in July 2013.[2][3] The patent covers the principle of using any suitable natural dehydrant to kill rodents.[4]
    Effect

Similar to other rodenticides, the preparation requires 3–7 days to be effective. Rather than killing rodents through internal haemorrhaging as anticoagulants do,[5] PCC affects a rodent’s digestive system, causing acute dehydration due to its extremely absorptive nature (corn cob has been used in applications such as oil spills in water bodies, seed drying and de-icing).[6] Physiological digestive pathways are disrupted, preventing normal regulation of water and salt levels, leading to hypovolemic circulatory shock through reduced blood volume and blood pressure, oxygen deprivation of the blood, and ultimately death.[7]

It is by nature biodegradable, thus not an environmental pollutant. It poses no risk of contamination to crops, nor to the food chain. There is little threat of toxicity to children, pets, livestock or birds—including through secondary poisoning.[8]

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 357 max cases trimmed down to fit cylinder length. Load with 3 gr. bullseye, a card wad on top of the powder, then fill the case with ancini de pepe pasta. Card wad on top and crimp. Use on snakes, maybe 5 ft. at the most. Hits the ground, the pasta will shatter probably. Might try some black peppercorns. Use eye protection

You might try barley seed or rice

Boolit Master
    I have used No.6 shot and 4 or 5 grains of Unique in .357 cases and gas checks to control rats in my barn around my feed bins. Be SURE to wear good eye protection because shot bounces back into your face!
    Adam

Boolit Master
    Unless you have a dirt floor, ricochet can easily blind you.
    Wax slugs using primer power will kill rats as will hot glue bullets but they also tend to bounce.also primer powered.
    But. Much safer and quieter.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 11-17-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Having been near a pig barn in the past... I learned that a 357 "rat shot" will Not down a rat (squirrel either) it will roll em over, and when they escape, the others will Canibalize him...quite satisfying really!!!
    .44 will anchor Rats with Lead... Nothing I have tried besides Lead will. I do Use Rice for Birds, in the Barn.. again .44. Sometimes 38/357 if Close.
    Feed 'em Double Bubble Bubble gum...If they will eat it (don't even need to unwrap) they Will Die!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Having been near a pig barn in the past... I learned that a 357 "rat shot" will Not down a rat (squirrel either) it will roll em over, and when they escape, the others will Canibalize him...quite satisfying really!!!
    .44 will anchor Rats with Lead... Nothing I have tried besides Lead will. I do Use Rice for Birds, in the Barn.. again .44. Sometimes 38/357 if Close.
    Feed 'em Double Bubble Bubble gum...If they will eat it (don't even need to unwrap) they Will Die!!!
    I never heard of the use of Bubble gum, great idea . Thanks also for what you found of what you have used .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Bubble Gum...The Cheapest you can find, works best on WoodChucks.. but, other critters that eat it suffer the same Fate...Dead!!!
    have had all manner of critters sample such bait!!! Betting Rats will Love It.
    My Best "Rat Shot" in the pig Barn.. 44spl, with Speer shot capsules loaded to end of Cylinder..filled with #7-1/2, Thinking 8 would be fine but Not Smaller. Don't need to be loaded very heavy at all to be effective. If I owned a 45LC, I would Blow out some 303 brass..Cut to cylinder length, and Make up loads with Wads. Gots me thinkin now...Dangerous stuff

Boolit Master

I have my own iteration and find the gas check covers a bother.

I made a couple videos.

https://youtu.be/M3Ry9IV4ttQ

I make more of these for my 327's then 357. But they work really well for me!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Bubble Gum...The Cheapest you can find, works best on WoodChucks.. but, other critters that eat it suffer the same Fate...Dead!!!
    have had all manner of critters sample such bait!!! Betting Rats will Love It.
    My Best "Rat Shot" in the pig Barn.. 44spl, with Speer shot capsules loaded to end of Cylinder..filled with #7-1/2, Thinking 8 would be fine but Not Smaller. Don't need to be loaded very heavy at all to be effective. If I owned a 45LC, I would Blow out some 303 brass..Cut to cylinder length, and Make up loads with Wads. Gots me thinkin now...Dangerous stuff
    Thanks Now you got me thinking also on my 44 mag , and about Bubble Gum for what you look for and have it on hand when needed .

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have my own iteration and find the gas check covers a bother.

I made a couple videos.

https://youtu.be/M3Ry9IV4ttQ

I make more of these for my 327's then 357. But they work really well for me!!

CW
    I watch your video , give me a different way to load them, it is interesting to use a ball on top then a card or GC. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I watch your video , give me a different way to load them, it is interesting to use a ball on top then a card or GC. Thanks
    But... Too destructive to the Barn!!!! Goal is to Shoot Inside, without undue damage to Walls etc!!
    The pig barn we were de-Ratting, had wooden short walls inside a Pole Barn. The floors were slatted, (I believe concrete, but never saw it Clean).. afraid a Ball would have Not been kind to the wooden walls, 60/40 Chance of Not hitting the Floor!! Our Loads worked exceptionally well, and No Destruction... But, again Nothing smaller than 44Spl, which was Ideal. Considering no one had a .45... Wish It would have been an option.
    Last edited by racepres; 11-18-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Short barrel pistols seem to work best for shotshells.
    Even a Derringer works as well.

But... Too destructive to the Barn!!!! Goal is to Shoot Inside, without undue damage to Walls etc!!
    The pig barn we were de-Ratting, had wooden short walls inside a Pole Barn. The floors were slatted, (I believe concrete, but never saw it Clean).. afraid a Ball would have Not been kind to the wooden walls, 60/40 Chance of Not hitting the Floor!! Our Loads worked exceptionally well, and No Destruction... But, again Nothing smaller than 44Spl, which was Ideal. Considering no one had a .45... Wish It would have been an option.
    In the barn I understand , you do not want to use a ball . For all the problems that come up. Just the use of shot is best for what you looking to use it for how it looks.For not use in any building then go the other way if that will work . I remember being told by a gunsmith that he take out the rifling out of a 22 . that way they can use the 22 lr shot shells in hog buildings to take out the birds because of the problems they cause.

Boolit Master
    In the barn I understand , you do not want to use a ball . For all the problems that come up. Just the use of shot is best for what you looking to use it for how it looks.For not use in any building then go the other way if that will work . I remember being told by a gunsmith that he take out the rifling out of a 22 . that way they can use the 22 lr shot shells in hog buildings to take out the birds because of the problems they cause.
    Yea... birds are easy to kill... I use Rice... 22's are too expensive for that puny "birdshot"..

Reminds me... I gotta go check My barn!!!!

Boolit Master

cream of wheat works great one shoot @ 25 ft. killed the rat that moved in to my Kitchen, No damage to the floor or wall just a little clean up with the broom.
    I've also took out a mouse on the front porch, again cream of wheat I used bullseye.and cardboard for a wad over powder and over shot/Cream of wheat.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    cream of wheat works great one shoot @ 25 ft. killed the rat that moved in to my Kitchen, No damage to the floor or wall just a little clean up with the broom.
    I've also took out a mouse on the front porch, again cream of wheat I used bullseye.and cardboard for a wad over powder and over shot/Cream of wheat.
    I never killed nuthin with COW... must be Much Courser where you are... Again, our barn yard rats are large, and Tough.. 38/357 shot loads will Not anchor them... Our Birds are the whimpy ones...Rice wrecks em... Maybe you should try the Rice Uncooked???
    Last edited by racepres; 12-29-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is ok for 18 inch or longer barrels. Do it in a pistol;, the ATF may declare it to be a sawed off shotgun. At one time there were smooth bore .22 rifles sold for use with shot like just for the purposes you discussed.

Boolit Master
    I think Henry use to sell a smooth bore .22 rifle and called it a “garden gun”.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast