Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 30" Barrel in an 1873 Uberti Winchester.

30" Barrel in an 1873 Uberti Winchester.

Hey Gents, a quick question, I have obtained a near new Uberti 44 WCF ‘73 which has a 30” barrel. I have been using 26gns of Rel 7 in my 1873 (1892)Winchester rifle behind a 200 grn Winchester bullets. My question is this, whilst there is a quantity of unburnt powder in the chamber and barrel would there be a chance of burning that extra powder and increasing the pressure due to the extra length of the 30” barrel.

Hope someone can help in this regard.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

The peak pressure will not increase. That maxs out in a relatively short distance. I do not have a clue if the additional pressure duration of the longer barrel will add in a cleaner burn. I do know some bullets don't carry enough lube for 30" barrels for real black but that should not be an issue with reloader 7.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

M-Tecs, Thanks for the reply. I will have to see if John Korts accurate mold will carry enough lube in the 30" barrel sufficiently enough to stop fouling out. Thanks again for the info.

Bob.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BobInAus View Post
    Hey Gents, a quick question, I have obtained a near new Uberti 44 WCF ‘73 which has a 30” barrel. I have been using 26gns of Rel 7 in my 1873 (1892)Winchester rifle behind a 200 grn Winchester bullets. My question is this, whilst there is a quantity of unburnt powder in the chamber and barrel would there be a chance of burning that extra powder and increasing the pressure due to the extra length of the 30” barrel.

Hope someone can help in this regard.

Bob
    I use this same load with a 240 cast rnfp boolit in my Marlin 1894 CB. I switched to magnum primers and the unburned powder went away and i am getting 1350+fps. The mag primers added 50 fps. The accuracy also improved. Super great low pressure load that insures your cases last a long time.

Boolit Master
    Rel 7 also tends to leave more residue than some other powders. I load the 44-40 with a variety of powders and Rel 7 leaves the most residue - although it still isn't like black powder. Every shot tends to blow out the last one so the leftovers don't get worse over time; the first shot looks just like the last one of the day.

However, I don't use magnum primers, and that is a good suggestion to possibly overcome the problem.

Yep, magnum primers are the way to go. Also a little tighter crimp may help. I have the same gun in 45LC. I have shot nothing but black powder in it, mainly at cowboy shoots. No lube problems with SPG. I swabbed after every station, 10 shots. Dirty as all get out after 10 shots but no leading.

Boolit Master
    I generally use Winchester pistol primers, which are labeled for either Standard or Magnum loads. I might try Federal or CCI Magnum LP for Rel 7 loads in the future.

As mentioned, a heavier crimp and a magnum primer, but a heavier bullet would also help