Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Sharps Newbie Questions: Which Front Sight Insert? How Do You Sight A Peep Sight?

Cool Sharps Newbie Questions: Which Front Sight Insert? How Do You Sight A Peep Sight?

Acquired a Pedersoli "Q Down Under" Sharps in .45-70, with 34" barrel, Davide Pedersoli tunnel front sight, and Pedersoli rear Vernier peep sight. I believe it's the "medium" range size, whatever that means.

Fell in love with the Quigley concept after watching the movie, having not seen it all these years. Watched it five times since. Bought the Blu-ray.

Question #1:
    What is your favorite front sight insert from the following selection?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharps fron sights IMG_2512.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	303638

I'm leaning toward #5 on the upper six or #1 or #2 on the lower six (left to right). My vision stinks. I need high contrast and fat lines.

Question #2:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharps Tang Peep Sight IMG_2525.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	303639

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you begin to get the peep sight on target? Start at 50 yards? Closer? Giant target? If you're not on the paper at all, it's really hard to know how to adjust.

Where do i begin? I don't think I can lower the block and look down the bore because the tang sight is in the way.

How much do you move the sight to compensate for bullet drop? I know it's calibrated in minutes, but what does that mean? How do I know the bullet drop for various weights and loads?

I have variety of Trap Door (around 1,200-1,300 fps) loads prepared with:
    - 300 gr (Speer JHP, bought for my .458 SOCOM)
    - 350 gr (Berry's Plated conical flat nose, designed for .458 SOCOM)
    - 405 gr (Bear Creek moly coated cast -- a basic .45-70 bullet)
    - 420 gr (Cast Performance Gas Check hard cast lead)
    - 460 gr (Cast Performance Gas Check hard cast lead)
    - 500 gr (coated Acme round nose) on order, because the 500 was once considered the best .45-70 bullet by "experts" I've read

Powders include
    - Accurate 5744
    - IMR4198
    - H4198
    - Reloder 7
    - Varget
    - Trail Boss, if I want.
    - Goex FFg and Pyrodex, if I want to go black powder.

No idea what the "ideal" 45-70 Powder/bullet/weight load is.

I have a Lead Sled, if that helps.

I have a 100 yard and a 300 yard rifle range at my disposal. I've never shot long range before.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 08-29-2022 at 12:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    I prefer aperture inserts. Be wary of making the front sight too tight on the bull as it will cause eye strain.

For loads with smokeless in .45-70, I've found "trapdoor" load levels using H-4198 with magnum primers to work well with heavy bullets.

With aperture sights the size of the bull you use has to fit the sights. Usually a 6 minute of angle black bullseye is around what you'll want. Start at 50 yards and it should be easy to get on paper. The JBM Ballistics web site has a calculator that will allow you to get drops in MOA at various distances.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I like the type just to the left of your sight tube, with the smallest aperture on the card. The one I have can still subtend a flock of turkey silhouettes. I don’t shoot formally at bullseye targets though, just use them for experimental load development.

You need to get your “mechanical zero” for starters. Set up a bullseye at the bottom of a long sheet of paper with a vertical line at 25 yards. Set your rear sight to zero windage and elevation, and see where it shoots. Drift the front sight as needed to get the shots on the vertical line. Then go to 50, 100, and beyond, moving the staff to hit the bullseye and marking your sight settings down in a notebook.

There are reference diagrams on this site and others on how to read a vernier sight. I think Montana Vintage Arms has one on their website.

You are going to complicate your life needlessly by loading all those powders and boolits, though. The optimum combinations are not going to shoot the same, either windage or elevation-wise. Find one optimum load and set your sights to that.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can usually fit 2 inserts in the sights slot allowing some customization. As an example for awhile I used number 5 on top and number 4 on bottom for a duplex reticle.
    I also when I started shooting BPCR silhouettes I used the post (number 4 bottom row) as being a long time service rifle competitor I was used to the post. I did modify mine to around .100 wide.
    With appetures I prefer about 1 "ring" of white between the bull and appeture, This stands out well, makes favoring for conditions easier and works well for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post

You are going to complicate your life needlessly by loading all those powders and boolits, though. The optimum combinations are not going to shoot the same, either windage or elevation-wise. Find one optimum load and set your sights to that.
    Agree on complication with too many loads. My goal with that list is to ask you guys which combination you found to work best in a long barrel falling block Sharps.

As stated, the lighter 300-350 bullets are for my .458 SOCOM, but fit the .45-70.

Of that list of bullets, which have you shooters found most accurate and consistent?

Boolit Grand Master

I compete in BPCR silhouette 45 caliber rifles normally are loaded with 500-550 grn bullets. My rifles are all 1-18 twist.

Your question #1 was about a favorite sight. Depends on what you’re shooting at. The round apertures are for different sized down range targets and or existing light conditions. The tendency of new shooters is to not leave enough “white” around the black bull. The posts or cross hair lend themselves to hunting. As far as row 1, insert # 5, I use it to frame a target board when shooting 600 yards, similar to the round inserts for bulls eyes. Not sure exactly what the real purpose is but that’s how I get use of it. Not sure of row one, sight one but someone here will know.

Boolit Master
    YOU HAVE TO SIZE THE APPATURE SIGHT FOR TARGET AND DISTANCE< FRONT AND REAR APATURES MAKE SIGHTING EASY ON ROUND NRA TARGETS>> FOR COMPITISITION I USE A 45/70 ROLER< 500+ GRAINE LEE BULLET< PURE LEAD< I MAKE MY OWN LUBE< NONE ON MARKET DID WHAT I WANTED< I USE ONLY BLACKHORN 209 POWDER< 38 - 42 grs TO GET 1200fps OR A TAD LESS> VERY CONSISTANT< VERY ACCURATE< 100yds TO 1000 meters< MAG PRIMER< MILK CARTON PAPER CARD WAD OVER POWDER< IF THERE IS AN AIRSPACE A CORK WAD< A COFFIE CAN COVER PLASTIC WAD OVER ALL THAT AND UNDER BULLET< SOME COMPRESSION< A CLEANER LOAD< WORKS GREAT FOR ME< 8/10 X RING AT 1000< I DO NOT SIZE BRASS< I ONLY BELL TO CENTER< NO CRIMP> BULLET JUST SEATED TO OL TOO JUST CHAMBER< YOUR GUN WILL TELL YOU WHAT IT LIKES< YOU WILL SEE ON TARGET< DO ALL YOUR SHOOTING AT LONGEST RANGE YOU CAN GET OUT TO>> I HAVE A BIG SOFT RECOIL PAD ON BACK< CHEEK RISER< FOR LONGER RANGES, A FOLDED TOWEL OVER RISER> TILT SIGHT FORWARD SO YOU CAN SEE THROUGH< I SHOOT OFF STICKS, SITTING< NOT A POWDER PUFF< A STOUT RECOIL< I HAVE A BAD BACK SO IF I CAN, YOU CAN>> HAVE FUN< KEEP THEM ALL IN THE CENTER>>