Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making 35 Whelen from 30-06

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I never lube the inside of the case necks. I’ll have to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I never lube the inside of the case necks. I’ll have to start.
    Took me awhile to catch on to this, it does help.

Now I even do it during normal resizing and recapping. I use Imperial wax wiped in the neck ID with a Q-tip. About every 5th case gets lubed. Seems to make make pulling the sizer plug out easier.

M-dies benefit from a it also.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-01-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Have used cream of weate, part of a cotton ball, smells just like pancakes cooking. Resize, trim to length, enjoy >
    This is what I do...works fine.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ve also tried to anneal before sizing and wrecked cases. Tried to neck down 308 down to 243…doesn’t work for me…crunch!

Boolit Buddy
    15 Meter hit the nail on the head..."Plus Imperial sizing wax on the ID with going slow and easy on the forming, in an 1/8"(or less), back out 1/4 turn and back in the die again" is exactly how I do it also. I just finished sizing 1600+ rounds of 358 Win from commercial 308 Win brass. I only lost seven due to split necks. I also use 243, 22-250, & 7-08 to make 358 Win brass with zero issues. Once I get the sizing die I will also use all 30-06 based cases to make my 358 Win brass just for fun. I make the 35 Whelen brass for my buddy's rifle in a similar manner.

If you are casting bullets, you should be well past reloading 101.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Reading the comments in this thread leaves me a bit surprised. I have not loaded for. 35 Whelen but did so for. 338-06. Before beginning to make brass I read all I could find on the subject. Everyone said neck 30-06 brass up in the 338-06FL die load and shoot so I did. At the second firing a bright ring appeared on the case at front of the solid web. Dearing a case separation I regrouped.
    About then I read Ken Waters article on. 338-06 and found that he had the same issue. His solution was to neck up to. 35then back to. 338 leaving a false shoulder. Following Waters lead I did the same, setting the false shoulder so the bolt closed with resistance. When the cases formed in this manner were fired, regardless of headstamp, they worked perfectly. The cases were annealed after forming.
    Why I am surprised by the comments is that the. 35 Whelen has less shoulder for heads pacing than the. 338-06.

Boolit Master

I took the advice and sized up with a tapered die that Lee uses. I did not anneal before and things went very well. I did lube before, then I "bell" the necks, backed off and re-lubed and used a steady push to finish the necks. This process worked great on some 270 cases I picked up from a member here. Out of over 100 cases only 4 split necks and 0 crushed shoulders.
    Thanks to all that helped!!!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12