Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
PBcastco Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making 35 Whelen from 30-06

Boolit Master

Making 35 Whelen from 30-06

I picked up a Savage 110 that was re barreled to 35 Whelen. I did buy some factory brass , but had some 30-06 brass that my 110 in 30-06 did not like. some thing about the rim would make the bolt hang after firing, broke a bolt handle on the last case. All of the bad brass has a R-P stamp. So I started reading on necking up the brass to use in the 35 Whelen.

I have the Lee 35 Whelen dies and it does have a tapered neck expanded. However no mater what I tried, annealing, polishing and speed, it would crush the shoulder or split the neck.

So fire forming is the trick that worked. I did not do any annealing. Tested on 6 cases, all worked VERY WELL. I used Green Dot for the speed and being able to stand up to packing. 14 grans of powder, paper towel "wad" packed a bit. Now for the funny part, I used coffee as a filler, packed a bit and topped off with Crisco grease to hold the filler in. I fired with muzzle pointing up. This worked for me, not a split case mouth. The report was loud enough to need rear protection. The coffee was heavy enough the make the charge work as it should and the barrel was spotless to boot.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    following closely.........

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Have used cream of weate, part of a cotton ball, smells just like pancakes cooking. Resize, trim to length, enjoy >

Boolit Master

My search tech is not to good, thanks.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Sorry you had to go to all that trouble. I have never had to do anything except use the 35 sizing die with the expander in. I use mica to lube the inside of the necks.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I use Redding dies, clean, then anneal the necks, old way with a shallow pan abd water half way up the body, tun out lights, neck tuns pink tip over, dry, lube the neck, full lengh size, one pass, prep the pockets and flash hole. Fire form with 200s using my regular accuracy load. I do not bother with light loads to fire form. Then trim the case mouth square.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I've reformed a lot of GI -06 brass to 35 Whelen just by first annealing the neck/shoulder area and then running them through a standard FL Whelen resizing die.
    If I have one piece of advice it would be to keep the loaded -06 rounds distinctly separate from the 35 Whelen rounds.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Lubing the inside of the case neck with Hornady Unique lube on a Q-tip works for me going from 308 military to 358 and 30-06 to 35 Whelen. I usually anneal but haven't found annealing necessary. I do anneal after expanding neck. Without the lube I have had some old GI '06 split (60's stuff).

Boolit Master
    I had used 10gr of Bullseye, cornmeal, and a piece of TP to hold it all in place, for making 30-06 cases into 35 Whelen Imp cases. They come out perfect. It is a dirty process, with frequent cleaning of the chamber necessary, to clear the cornmeal grit out. I just shoot into a stack of newspapers in my basement, when fireforming the cases. Ear protection is still a necessity.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Lubing the inside of the case neck with Hornady Unique lube on a Q-tip works for me going from 308 military to 358 and 30-06 to 35 Whelen. I usually anneal but haven't found annealing necessary. I do anneal after expanding neck. Without the lube I have had some old GI '06 split (60's stuff).
    I was looking for this important Tip ! If you don't lube the inside of the neck when trying to expand you will collapse the case . I do it in two steps , first lube and expand with a 8 X 57 Mauser expander .323" ... then lube again and finish expanding with the 35 Whelen expander .
    Doing it this way saves primers ... and you don't usually lose any cases ...
    Inside neck lube is the sectete ...doing the Cajun Two Step helps !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I'm stubborn, and I want me reformed Whelen brass to be the correct length. Using .270 brass gets you real close; using .280 Rem brass gets you there (might need a slight trim); using .30-06 brass leaves you short. Does it really matter? I dunno, but it bothers me.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    ive never gotten any brand shell from 270 to 35 with it cracking. but 30-06 to 35 in one stroke. got to lube the inside neck and go slow. they are a bit short but work very well as for me anyway 35 whelen is not a benchrest competition round

Boolit Master

using .30-06 brass leaves you short. Does it really matter? I dunno, but it bothers me.
    I never had any issues using GI -06 brass that was under the maximum length for a 35 whelen
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    If you will use.270 brass and fire form it to .35 Whelen, the necks don’t split. The brass is long enough to reach the end of the chamber (at least in my rifle) and once fired.270 brass is fairly easy to find. Dried white rice is cheaper than cornmeal and 6-7 grains Unique seems to work fine to expand the cases. As a side benefit, you can remove a large nest of yellow jackets in an astonishing
    ly short amount of time.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Man

I have done around a hundred brass to Whelen. Some were 270 and most were GI 40/50s vintage. One split neck on an apparently reloaded GI. All the 270 survived.
    Just had a batch of 5 or 6 of 10 GI reformed brass separate about 1/2" up from the head upon firing. I am careful about headspace and brass lengths. I only have one Whelen chamber, so no mistakes that way. I haven't gotten to check the other brass inside as they are loaded. Wondering what caused this, other than the obvious longitudinal stretch/oversizing which I am careful to avoid. Oh, and the load does not show any overpressure in any of the surviving brass.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just run 270,280, and 30-06 through my 35 whelen FLS die after annealing the neck and I’m good to go. I since found a new bag of 100 RP whelen brass from a member so I haven’t had to fabricate any in a while.

Boolit Buddy
    I use winchester 30-06 brass, I anneal, lube, form, and shoot

Just a guess but I suspect you annealed before trying to neck up.

Very rarely do you want to anneal before necking up. Annealing before in 90%+ of necking up forming gets you a collapsed shoulder.

I've formed a dozen and more different cartridges from something they ain't and in almost every instance annealing after the necking up was the way to go.

Plus Imperial sizing wax on the ID with going slow and easy on the forming, in an 1/8"(or less), back out 1/4 turn and back in the die again.

Baby steps. And perhaps more sizing wax half way to fully expanded.

But I like fire forming too. KABOOM

Boolit Master
    I lube the inside of the case neck with Imperial, and use a Redding die with the tapered expander. At least when using new Winchester brand .270 brass, no issues. Oh, the Redding expander is rated to go from 7mm to .35, and sometimes .270 brass will work okay and other times the case mouth will get smashed. I've taken to necking them up to 7mm in a .280 Rem neck sizer first.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast