RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won my first C&B revolver on GB

Boolit Master

Won my first C&B revolver on GB

Just won an auction for a 2nd edition Colt Signature Series Gun. An 1862 Pocket Police.

I have no caps but I did purchase a cap maker from 22lr Reloader and I've got some home made black on the shelf. Lee .380 ball mould on order. I had to pay $42 for a cheap two cav mould. I used to get them for less than $20. Oh well.

Seller says it's never been shot. That's about to change. I don't care if it loses value. When I'm worm food I won't care if there's an extra $100 in my pocket, I want to shoot a genuine licensed COLT!

Very nice. Don't forget to clean it after shooting!

DG

I’d take it apart, clean the existing oils and lube with either Ballistol, jojoba oil or even olive oil before taking it to the range

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    I’d take it apart, clean the existing oils and lube with either Ballistol, jojoba oil or even olive oil before taking it to the range
    I use Jojoba oil on my beard, but never heard of using it on guns? Great looking Colt BTW and Police version as well!

Boolit Master
    Good looking Colt revolver.
    I sold my Colt Second Generation 1851 .36 Unfired from back in I think 1971 a year ago.
    I love the looks of those models of pistols.
    But I only sold it because I didn't shoot those revolvers.

Congratulations! That is a beautiful piece. I would love to own a Colt someday. I make my own caps and am pleased with how they work. However, they are much dirtier than commercially manufactured caps. Clean that baby good!

Jojoba oil is a wonder lube. Long shelf life, not prone to oxidation, doesn’t dry out or leave a filmy residue, and stable at high temps. Chemically similar to Sperm oil and works well in those applications. I use it on my smokeless rifles and pistols as well as my black powder guns.

Boolit Master
    Be very, very careful because it can and will multiply. One day you will think to yourself an 1860 would be a nice addition, a big brother shall we say. Then well, I have a couple open tops I think I would like to maybe get an 1858. Then an 1847 to round out the collection, wait a minute, Jose Wales had two, just one more of those. Well I have a Colt, a couple in Uberti and an ASM. Gun show in two weeks, uh-oh, looks great, smooth, timing is really good and it was cheap! Welcome to the Enablers Club.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Jojoba oil is a wonder lube. Long shelf life, not prone to oxidation, doesn’t dry out or leave a filmy residue, and stable at high temps. Chemically similar to Sperm oil and works well in those applications. I use it on my smokeless rifles and pistols as well as my black powder guns.
    Thank you for the information, and I learned something today. It does work good for dried out beards and doesn't leave oily feeling left behind. I will have to try it out on my muzzleloaders as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Be very, very careful because it can and will multiply. One day you will think to yourself an 1860 would be a nice addition, a big brother shall we say. Then well, I have a couple open tops I think I would like to maybe get an 1858. Then an 1847 to round out the collection, wait a minute, Jose Wales had two, just one more of those. Well I have a Colt, a couple in Uberti and an ASM. Gun show in two weeks, uh-oh, looks great, smooth, timing is really good and it was cheap! Welcome to the Enablers Club.
    I am afflicted with a condition/syndrome that my friends call "GAS". It has plagued me for most of my life. I can't get a pill or a vaccine for it, it just comes and goes based on my bank account! GAS stands for Gun Acquisition Syndrome.

Boolit Master
    My "GAS" syndrome kicked in about three weeks ago when I bought 20 guns from a late friend's estate.
    Lucky for me,
    Two were BP revolvers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    My "GAS" syndrome kicked in about three weeks ago when I bought 20 guns from a late friend's estate.
    Lucky for me,
    Two were BP revolvers.
    We need a 12 step program or something, but since retirement, I have been controlled by the Bank Account.............

Boolit Master
    Sorry I side tracked your thread and back to your nice score. Curious as to if you have slugged bore and measured cylinder? I have several "Colts" and was a little disappointed in their dimensions (barrel/cylinder gap, cylinder bore to groove and arbor), worked to better but not what I expected. If you go looking for caps online, careful as there are a couple known scam sites.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it's addictive. The Colt replicas do need work right outta the box in most cases. Lately I've been flooded with the pocket pistols. Last 5 through the shop were pocket models. All had the short arbor, several had issues with cylinder carry up. I still have one that's being very difficult to get timed and have the cylinder rotate without binding. I've heard the Colt signature series need work on the internal pieces as fit and finish on those parts was neglected, most of the effort went into the exterior finish.

Boolit Master
    I won't have gun in hand for quite a while. I had to mail this guy a check and he's got to mail me the gun back.

I was hoping the Signature Series guns would be slightly better quality than a Uberti or Pietta. I don't want to spend a lot of time tinkering with it.

Boolit Master
    From my experience.
    The second generation Colts were a better quality than factory Pietta or Uberties.

The Colt parts were made by an Italian company for Colt.
    But the 1851 Colt that I had , looked and felt better than other imports.
    That is why,
    When I sold my Colt Navy , I got a Way Higher price than other Italian made pistols.
    Plus , Mine too was still Unfired.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Nice! But it looks like a "breeder". Keep it away from the 1851 Colt Navies or you just might be pushing a Colt Pocket Navy around in a stroller . . . .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Nice! But it looks like a "breeder". Keep it away from the 1851 Colt Navies or you just might be pushing a Colt Pocket Navy around in a stroller . . . .
    Well, it looks like I'll be having twins. Since the "Colt" is a little too pretty and perfect, I wanted something to mess around with and not worry about holster wear or swapping parts on so I bought a Cimarron 4" 1862 to go with it. I tried pricing out just the barrel but after adding the loading lever and parts I was only $100 away from just buying another pistol so I did.

Boolit Master
    Having now what appears to be movement into the rationalization portion of the disease, there will be swift and prolonged attacks on your wallet. Breathing exercises and online research is you best hope and chance of a positive outcome. Most of all, have fun!

Boolit Master

Congratulations! nice find.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast