Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 48th Load Data Question For 44 Magnum

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 48th Load Data Question For 44 Magnum

I have a batch of new Blue Dot, AA#9, & W296 powders currently in my stock with both large pistol and large pistol magnum primers. I am loading a plain base 245gr SWC-HP cast from an MP mold with a mixture of 94/3/3 lead, Bens Red, and it roughly has a 12BHN . These loads will be my standard woods loads for both hunting and self defense versus medium sized game or smaller when aloft. If I am correct I need 900fps or more for expansion but will test this information once loads are developed. The firearm is a S&W Model 69 with a 4/25" barrel.

The Question: Can I safely use Lymans 48th edition load data from 2002 safely with today's powders ? I noticed that the old data shows a difference in weight when comparing H110 & W296. Since this is pre-2008 (a date from other sites about powders changing) load data would it be a safe load to starting at 5-10% max with AA#9 and large pistol primers ? What if I substitute W296 powder and large pistol magnum primers for the older H110 using the older data if I start at the starting load and work my way up ? Thanks for your opinions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220828_153400.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	303599

Name:	20220828_153150 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	303600

Boolit Grand Master

The Lymans 48th edition load data from 2002 is still valid with today's powders

The claim is H110 and W296 are the same powder.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...59-H110-vs-296

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    They are both made by St. Marks Powder Company, which I believe is owned by General Dynamics. Since Hodgdon bought the rights to the Winchester line of powders, they have standardized the loading date for both H-110 and Winchester 296 at exactly the same in current data from Hodgdon.

They are the same powders now.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Hi M-Tecs. I had read that they were the same but that long ago they might not have been so similar hence why I asked. I also read that some powders were changed in 2008 hence why I was wondering if the manual was "current". Thanks

The H110 data from Lyman for 429421 looks exactly same to me between volume 48 & 50 (2016 publish).

I wasn't aware of any stated powder changes in 2008, but maybe I missed something. I stopped reading most of the glamor mags a while ago.
    I will say though, any significant change in powder (outside of prior specification) would generally make for a name change or suffixing like was done with the short cut powders.

If you are looking to use published data for your cast bullet in a pistol for which there is no published data, it's a wise thing to measure the case intrusion depth on the bullets and match that as well as the weight. If there is less case space (volume) remaining after seating, and you swap data w/ same bullet weight, it can bite you. I learned that > 25 years ago myself without thinking first. Blown primer in a Marlin 1894, when a 240gr 44 did nearly 1900 fps...

Boolit Master
    4.25 barrel? H110 is going to be a flamethrower. AA9 will get you Mag velocities. Blue Dot, medium velocities.

2400 is the same as it's always been going back to Hercules except for lot to lot variation.

H110 and W296 are the same except for lot to lot variation. They used to test them separately, not so much anymore.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded up some 44 magnum rounds today using W296 in .2gr increments and some 44 special rounds with Blue Dot from 7.8-9.0gr in .5gr increments using the same bullet. Once I get the chance I'll load up some magnum rounds using AA#9 also. I'll have to keep my eye open for some 2400 locally to try later on. Hopefully I can get to the range on Wednesday.

Name:	20220829_083635 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	303687

Boolit Master
    I would suggest that everyone ignore the unsubstantiated rumors, BS, that powder formulas have been changed. Powder charges may be changed in new data because of different/better testing. Manufacturers go to great effort to keep results of powder the same from lot to lot. They do not want you blowing up a gun or have guns that don't go BANG. Also get new manuals periodically. Use the new data with old powder. It will work and not blow up your favorite gun.

Boolit Master
    I've loaded my 4" model 629 with H110 using the somewhat similar shaped 245 grain semi-wadcutter from an RCBS mold. 24.0 grains is as hard as I'd push it, and that's not an everyday use load. It's a good hunting load, but you can use the muzzle flash to send Morse code to another planet. Because the recoil is a little brisk with the shorter barrel, a good crimp is necessary to keep the slugs from getting tugged out of the case and sticking their noses out of the front of the cylinder. For mid-level general purpose shooting rounds I load 13.0 grains of HS-6. This is a good powder for cast bullets in the 44 mag, and should be in the ballpark of around 900 to 950 fps with the 4" barrel.