RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Casting Bass Jig heads

Boolit Buddy

Casting Bass Jig heads

Anyone casting bass jig heads here?

I've just started doing so and find it fun to do.
    I have been using several Do-It molds and have had good success.

Initially I had some incomplete fill outs using my bullet casting alloy but learned that soft pure lead was the way to go.
    I have had no issues since.

I also learned about painting them with a Powder Coat paint named ProTec.
    They have lots of colors and using what is called a Fluid Bed is a great way to dip them into the powder paint. The Fluid bed can be built out of a couple of PVC pipe fittings and a short piece of PVC pipe. I used 2" pvc pipe.

To finalize the process, the powder painted jig heads need to be cured in a toaster oven.
    I do this at 350 degrees F and for 20 minutes.

If you already cast bullets, then you only need mold(s), which are $40 to $50 each.
    Powder paint is about $6.00 for a 2 oz. jar, and then the cost of the hook which can vary from $.04 to $.50 depending on what hook you use.
    The molds show what hook and size to use on them.
    I have found that you can experiment and use a larger hook size and still pour a decent jig.

These days jig heads are over a dollar each, so I feel that you can recover the cost of the materials in a short time.

Anyway, there is more to discuss but I'm interested in reading your experiences and any questions you may have.

Perhaps this may lead to a Jig Casting sub forum if it gets enough activity.
    1A - 2A = -1A

I cast a lot of sinkers and a few spinner/lure bodies that are round, about 1/4" dia. and a couple inches long.

I use more or less pure Lead with just enough wheel weights to get a quick fill out.
    Pre heating the mold helps a lot too.

I don't powder coat. I dip them in a can of Rust-O-lem and hang 'em up to dry.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have also cast a few jigs with Do-It molds, My observations:
    Yes pure lead works, but you need to keep the pot hot (750F or so) and a SMALL amount of tin helps with fill out (maybe 4oz of tin in a 20#pot).
    Powder paint is amazing on fishing jigs! Just remember to keep the hook eye clean before baking, otherwise it takes some special magic to bust the paint out of the hook eye after the curing process.
    I also make "Roadrunner jigs", with a swivel under the hook eye for a small spinner blade, (crappie lures).
    I get a handful of coffee stirring straws from the local gas station, cut them into roughly 3/4" chunks, and slip them over the swivel before painting with a Harbour Freight airbrush for the base coat. A pencil eraser dipped in white paint for the eye background color, and a tiny spot of black for the pupil completes the paint job.

I get my moulds, hooks, swivels, and other supplies from Jann's Netcraft in Ohio, good prices and quick shipping.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    I have also cast a few jigs with Do-It molds, My observations:
    Yes pure lead works, but you need to keep the pot hot (750F or so) and a SMALL amount of tin helps with fill out (maybe 4oz of tin in a 20#pot).
    Yes, regarding the temperature, I also went higher (740F) from my normal 720F bullet casting temperature.
    I got better fill out doing so. I do not use tin though.
    When I was using my bullet alloy, I kept adding more tin for better fill out but it did not happen.
    So, I went to pure lead and haven't looked back.

Powder paint is amazing on fishing jigs! Just remember to keep the hook eye clean before baking, otherwise it takes some special magic to bust the paint out of the hook eye after the curing process.
    Good point on the hook eye. That powder paint cures the paint hard.
    I have read where some used a small drill bit to open up the hook eye when clogged, but to me that would leave a rough edge that would be abrasive to the fishing line.
    I use 3/32" heat shrink tubing for the hook eye. (Amazon has it for $10 or so for 100' roll)
    When I first started doing that I would still get powder paint on the hook eye because although the heat shrink snugged up around the eye after heating it, the top of the heat shrink was still open and when I dipped the jig head into the paint some would find it's way down to the hook eye.

What I did was to cut some 1/2" pieces of weed trimmer line and insert a piece on the top of the heat shrink and then it all snugged up nice for a good seal.

I also make "Roadrunner jigs", with a swivel under the hook eye for a small spinner blade, (crappie lures).
    I have not made any of those......yet.
    My fishing buddy uses a similar jig head with the under spin blade on it (for bass) and is always catching fish with it.
    I looked up Roadrunner jig to see what it looked like and see that Do-It sells a similar mold called Do-It Horse/Pony Head mold.
    Hmmm....looks like a new project for me.

I get a handful of coffee stirring straws from the local gas station, cut them into roughly 3/4" chunks, and slip them over the swivel before painting with a Harbour Freight airbrush for the base coat. A pencil eraser dipped in white paint for the eye background color, and a tiny spot of black for the pupil completes the paint job.
    Good tip! I'll remember that when I make some of those.

I get my moulds, hooks, swivels, and other supplies from Jann's Netcraft in Ohio, good prices and quick shipping.
    Barlows Tackle, Zeiners and TJs Tackle are other sources as well.

Thank you for your input and tips Pipefitter.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    I also cast jig heads and sinkers. I have found out that casting lead into sinkers instead of ingots raises the price of it from $1.25 lb. to $2.00-$2.50 lb. when I put them up for sale on Facebook auction sites. Mostly, I cast sinkers for friends and coworkers and give them away.
    My pet peeve is buying jig heads that have the eye closed with paint. This is one of the reasons I cast my own, although the better jig head manufacturers have the eyes cleared.
    I do have some problems casting 5 oz. round sinkers and having an uneven surface. I am not sure if my pot's spout isn't big enough. I don't think it is the lead temperature or the mold temperature, because it seems to be the same even after the mold becomes hot.