Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Krag Cut-Off Question

Boolit Grand Master

Krag Cut-Off Question

On my 98' Krag, The cut-off has some play in it. in the up "On" position, it flops around a little.
    There is plenty of tension on it so it won't fall to the off position.

Any of you Krag shooters notice this?? The cutoff plunger is captured, as it has been peened on the side.
    I don't know what the arsenal length is supposed to be, bit it looks about .060-.065" short.

It would be nice if it was snug.
    Let me know folks!!
    Thanks,
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Hard to say for sure without it being on my bench, but (1) there are two different lengths of cut off levers-- maybe you need the longer one.(2) The little plunger and spring in the lever are held captive in the lever, usually by the plunger's hole being deformed a bit, so the possibilities arise that perhaps it is staked too hard and not allowing free movement of the plunger, not allowing the plunger to come out of the hole and push hard enough against the little ledge on the receiver to maintain tension on the lever, or wrong plunger, or weak spring.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    My observation as well.

When I acquired the rifle, the cut-off was missing. There was a Redfield target sight anchored in the cut-off bore, and it was missing the aperture peep.
    I ordered a cut-off lever, not knowing at the time there were different lengths. Other than the bit of slop in the on position,
    It works just fine.

Shiloh

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Hard to say for sure without it being on my bench, but (1) there are two different lengths of cut off levers-- maybe you need the longer one.(2) The little plunger and spring in the lever are held captive in the lever, usually by the plunger's hole being deformed a bit, so the possibilities arise that perhaps it is staked too hard and not allowing free movement of the plunger, not allowing the plunger to come out of the hole and push hard enough against the little ledge on the receiver to maintain tension on the lever, or wrong plunger, or weak spring.

DG
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Well, here's what we can do. If you want to PM me your mailing address I'll send you a long cut off (right?) via US Mail. You can install it and see if it works better, then mail me your shorter one which I'll put in the parts drawer to help out the next guy who needs a short one. No charge for the part, and we should come out close enough on the postage to call it even.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm up for that.
    Let me see what the current length is the one in place now.
    The way I understand it, the shorter one was for the '98 Krag, and the longer ones for the 96' Krag.
    sounds lie they are interchangeable for the 98's and maybe not so for the earlier Krags.

Shiloh

Well, here's what we can do. If you want to PM me your mailing address I'll send you a long cut off (right?) via US Mail. You can install it and see if it works better, then mail me your shorter one which I'll put in the parts drawer to help out the next guy who needs a short one. No charge for the part, and we should come out close enough on the postage to call it even.

DG
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Buddy

As an aside, this puts me to me mind of two Krags I acquired, both of which had cut off levers which were actually cut off. Yep, the cylindrical shaft was cut off so that it had no effect on the top most cartridge in the magazine regardless of what position the lever was placed. The lever was still there for presumably cosmetic reasons. Must have been a practice of sorts back in the day, because when I saw a few parts dealers at various gun shows, they had cut-off cut offs in their containers in addition to both short and long cut offs.

A sporterized Danish 6.5x55 Krag I picked up had a US cut off fitted, which would not allow a cartridge to feed with the cut off in either position. Effectively the rifle was a single shot. I used one of the cut-off cut offs in the Dane and it fed fine from either lever position.

Noah

As a further aside, I had to cut off the cut off and capture the rod in place so that the gun would feed correctly with the Redfield 102K installed( on my 98 Springfield).
    Krags are amazing.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

DG
    Things like that are one of the reasons this place is one of my favorite forums online Good karma there