Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Thunder Ranch Anti-aircraft gun

Boolit Grand Master

Thunder Ranch Anti-aircraft gun

As the title suggests, my newly acquired "Pocket Pistol" (just ask Clint Smith, or any baggy pants clown) shoots way high. I suppose that a 150 grain boolit at 1300 FPS might hit closer to aim, but my 200-240 grainers at normal special velocities don't make the cut.

all kidding aside, does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier of a ~.325 replacement front sight for the 21-4 Revolvers?

Otherwise, I'll have to see about having this one welded up and then spend an evening or two filing and sanding and then bluing.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

SDM Fabricating makes .250 and .300 gold bead and fiber optic front sights. I don't know of any higher offhand.

Before welding and recuting the original front sight; I would make a new one out of 1/8" steel with a hacksaw and file. I've made a couple that way. The little half moon on the bottom is easy enough to fake with a file. I cut the bottom first, just keep trying and adjusting until the flats are on equal level. I leave the half moon as a rectangle until the flats are done, then round it over. Then cut it to the height and shape you want. I've even drilled and installed 3/32" brazing rod for a gold dot.

Slughammer

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    I have a 21-4 that my buddy gave me for letting him and his son fill their mule deer tags on the last day of the last deer season last year off of our corn field.

It was unfired in a presentation box with glass lid.

I couldn’t find my 44 spl brass so I ordered 44 Russian brass from Starline and loaded LBT 432-250 LFN (sized to .430) boolits to approx 700fps. At about 35 yards, it seems to shoot right to the sights.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master
    The one on there now is a .250, and it shoots just about 12 inches high with a 200 grain SWC, even more so with a 250 grain MP HP.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    As long as its a pinned in front sight, I would do as slughammer suggests and just make a new one. I had to do the same thing to my Model 25-2 so I could shoot 230 grain hardball to POA/POI.

Making a Patridge style front sight isn't too hard, its when you want something different that it becomes difficult.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, that trick didn't work.

I had a piece of 1/8" x 1" flat steel left over from repairing a yard sale wheel barrow, so I thought to myself, "I've done this before, I'll just make a front sight."

I spent two hours cutting, grinding and filing, only to discover that the "1/8" steel I had was actually .113" not .125. It slops around in the slot on the barrel. Grrr--back to the drawing board. Any body got a 1' square piece of 1/8 inch thick steel that is actually .125 thick"?

What kills me is that these were premium guns when they came out, the list was nearly 900 dollars--half again what a decent shooter Hand Ejector cost. You'd think with 140 odd years experience, S&W would be able to provide a front sight that was more closely suited to the "normal" ammunition for that caliber in a revolver.

My nickeled 21-4 doesn't have this problem, because the sight is just about 5/16" tall, not .250". Still waiting on a reply from S&W.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	303656
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-29-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Aim at the belt buckle. Tokarevs are like this, on purpose.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Buddy
    I had a target pistol that was that way once upon a time.

My cure was to solder a small sliver of steel on the top of the front sight, then file to suit my needs.
    If it doesn't suit you just heat it up and it'll come right off.

I just used soft plumbers solder and flux.

You can take the sight that you made and take a center punch and punch some on the fitment area, that will swell it up to the point you have to tap it in the slot and it will be firm, at least thats what I would wager.

Boolit Master

"What kills me is that these were premium guns when they came out, the list was nearly 900 dollars--half again what a decent shooter Hand Ejector cost. You'd think with 140 odd years experience, S&W would be able to provide a front sight that was more closely suited to the "normal" ammunition for that caliber in a revolver."

I've bought more than my share of limited production guns in .44 Special. About half of them have come with front sights that are too short for factory 240 grain ammo, let alone Skeeter or Keith loads. I'm pretty sure that the designers for these limited runs pick out the front sights based on what's already in stock in the parts bins, and if more than one part is available, they then use a part that "looks right" on the drawing board (as if anybody still used drawing boards.) I suppose the solution, making a toolroom prototype and actually trying it on the range with a multitude of shooters and ammo types before settling on a sight height, is not economically feasible.

As for learning something in 140 years, I'm reminded of the Corps of Engineers slogan: "Two hundred years of tradition, unimpeded by progress!" Yeah, I know, you heard it first in the Army, Navy, or Marines.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    …What kills me is that these were premium guns when they came out, the list was nearly 900 dollars--half again what a decent shooter Hand Ejector cost. You'd think with 140 odd years experience, S&W would be able to provide a front sight that was more closely suited to the "normal" ammunition for that caliber in a revolver…
    You do, of course realize that this company that is using the S&W name is not the same as the original company? Or any of the several in between? Same with Colt, Winchester, Remington, L C Smith, …

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, both Horace and Daniel have been dead for low these many years, and the business has passed through at least five sets of owners since World War II, and they have been making plastic pistols for years now, but they still allege to be revolver makers.

"Since 1852 Smith & Wesson has empowered Americans with the freedom, equality, and security promised by the Declaration of Independence and guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. It is this sense of safety and security that frees us to pursue our goals and dreams, define our future, and fulfill the promise of America" Taken verbatim from their website.

And what your snide comment has to do with a formerly premier manufacturer bone-heading something as simple as front sight design I can't guess.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    You do, of course realize that this company that is using the S&W name is not the same as the original company? Or any of the several in between? Same with Colt, Winchester, Remington, L C Smith, …

Kevin
    The saying goes, when Bangor Punta took over, S&W went from a gun company, to a company that sells guns.

Boolit Master
    My 24-1 is nickel, that’s crazy how the blues ones seem to have different front sights.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    tongue in cheek but half serious . . . .
    check the coins in your pocket . . . you certainly must have a denomination that will give you the heat you want . . a fine tooth hacksaw . . . a small file . . . amazing what can be made from a coin . . . .

Name:	EEBBCB80-DA58-40CA-9F25-C02B159F9FDF.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	303827My .45 acp TR shot low and left. Had to get Smith to install a lower front sight and get the barrel clocked correctly. No charge but shouldn’t have been necessary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wish they still had sights available for them. I heard back from S&W, but they no longer have the higher half moon sights. One of our members, Mr Slugghammer (Thanks and a tip of the hat), is sending me a piece of 1/8" steel and I shall have another go at it.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-04-2022 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo--what else?

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I had a chance to run my revised sight and was quite pleased at the results. It has a few dings on it from the vise and pliers as I filed and ground it into shape, and for bluing it has magic marker, but it shoots reasonably close to center now.

It is shorter than I originally estimated it would be--replacing the oddball wooden grips with a set of Hogue's made a substantial difference in my grip and also brought the point of impact down several inches, even before the new front sight. IIRC, I originally thought I'd need .3125-.325, but this one is about .280 and works fine with my 215 grain boolits, though it's still about 6" low with the 429-421 250 grainers. When I find my camera, I'll put up a pic.

Boolit Buddy
    I used JB Weld to build up the front sight on my SAA colt clone. I now used a standard load of Trailboss in it and it shoots accurately and on point of aim. If you need to switch powders, loads, you can file off the JB and be back to factory.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well here we go.

Note the poor man's sight insert--Blaze Orange Nail Polish over white. Not super durable but easily renewable. This gun shoots very well for me in close combat range exercises and seems to be more accurate than some of the older 44 Specials I have known. Also, I particularly like those "round-to-square-butt" grips from Hogue. The square butt, N-frames are just a shade too large for me, but the round frame works out to be just right.

Name:	IMG_3836.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	304515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3837.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	304516
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-15-2022 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add info.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Well here we go.

Note the poor man's sight insert--Blaze Orange Nail Polish over white. Not super durable but easily renewable. This gun shoots very well for me in close combat range exercises and seems to be more accurate than some of the older 44 Specials I have known. Also, I particularly like those "round-to-square-butt" grips from Hogue. The square butt, N-frames are just a shade too large for me, but the round frame works out to be just right.

Name:	IMG_3836.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	304515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3837.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	304516
    Ah gee whiz, you probably just cost me some money. I have owned or shot several N Frames over the years and was never really satisfied with whatever grips they had. Now I may have to find one of the round butted models to try.

On a more serious note, I am glad you got yours shooting to your satisfaction.

Robert