RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any of you a fan of Worlds Finest Trimmer?

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Giraud tri way trimmer. It trims and deburs and chamfers. Indexes off the case shoulder. It's fast.
    https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I bought lee quick trim dies several years ago.

Yes the cutting edges get dull fast. Plus it is a bit of a pain to screw the holder off and tighten for each piece of brass.
    That's not a Lee Quick trim. The quick trim is a die for a press, and a cutting head. You put the brass in the shell holder, raise the ram, and hit the trigger on the drill. No threading at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Trim It II works well.
    https://www.blackwidowshooters.com

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

If it really cant hold better than .003 as one user suggests, its not for me. I use the Wilson trimmer with micrometer adjustment. It is repeatble over and over and over with less than .001" variance and that variance is induced by the operator. Calibers each require a holder. However, if you require volume and can accept a little variance and dont mind the expense, I think you're on the right track.

Boolit Master
    The brass chunking firearms extraction can be hard on the base . So if you're experiencing erratic over all lengths take a look at the base .

Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    I’ve been using these. He calls them the WCT… worlds cheapest trimmer. They are pretty cheap, and once the depth is set, they do work well. With his prices, I bought them in sizes for all of the bottlenecks that I do. They are cartridge specific, so not changing depth setting…
    If I have one complaint about them, it would be that they leave a burnishing on the brass, from spinning.

http://www.newhighpower.com/brass-trimmers.html
    I have used them. I don’t like it. The screws strip out easily and it will crack if it’s dropped or rolls off a bench.

I have an many different trimmers. I like the wft. It’s not my favorite. The tri-way is a tremendous upgrade from the wft ( in my opinion, of course).

I mostly use the Lee trimmer that fits the press. It is fairly fast but unless you get the blade holder that can take an electric screwdriver attachment to replace the hand crank it isn't ideal for large volume brass trimming at one time, there is a limit to how long I'm going to sit at a bench doing the hand crank.

A member was kind enough to loan me his WFT and I went through a large amount of .223/5.56 brass with it. Was very easy. Harbor Freight cordless drill sitting on its battery on the bench with WFT in it. Trigger held with thumb of one hand, other hand fed brass into the cutter. Ended up with about a large shoebox full of brass in short time.

So the WFT was faster but didn't chamfer the edges which the Lee trimmer does if one has the deluxe cutter. I don't like trimming brass. I'm inclined to set up for trimming and do it in smaller batches over a period of time. Once I have several hundred cases for a bolt action or a thousand cases for semi auto prepped and ready to load I generally call that good.

I do tend to make a regular chore of prepping brass with an eye toward having most of the brass I have on hand cleaned and trimmed. The .223 or 7.62x39 stuff is the exception, want more brass on hand than I'm willing to trim. After I have several hundred cases on the shelf trimmed and ready to load I figure I'm good for inventory.

The Lee for the price does a really good job. The WFT at least in .223/5.56 is much faster even if one has to handle the brass twice to use the Lee to chamfer the brass after the WFT trims it to length. This thread is a good resource for what is out there for trimmers, I have added a couple of bookmarks from the links posted. Might even want to try an X die in a caliber, pretty sure if I like the X die I will not have too much trouble selling my existing die set it is replacing

For the price I'm willing to try the WCT to see how it works and how sturdy it is. I have a hard time justifying high priced tools to speed things up I guess I don't have enough brass to prep that the time saved justifies the expense of a high end tool, at least not in most calibers. Once wife gets ahold of the TV remote I may as well head to the reloading bench anyway given a choice between trimming brass or a watching a dance or singing contest.... I guess I can go crank out another 50 or so cases.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Getting back to a known reasonable reality, trim range on most brass is spec'd at a .010" total length variation. Most chambers run longer than spec because they put the variation in chambering in the plus direction on purpose. You need to measure your chamber to know what you are really dealing with.

Firing the brass one time will put more change into some of the brass than the .003" error folks are discussing here.

There is a large variation in "best methods" comparing a precision rifle guy's mindset and the mindset of a normal AR15 autoloading guy who commonly loses more pieces of brass over the years than a precision rifle guy ever owns.

A By the Way Thought, Any Moderation style that deletes entire posts because the Mod disagree with the points raised might tend to explain the entirely too many "I no longer contribute to this forum" notes on now emptied threads.

Self-lubricating Delrin plastic (the body material used for the worlds cheapest trimmer) is also used in rotary hammers to absorb the excess hammer blow forces. Sorry, simply falling off your reloading bench isn't going to hurt it at all. My most used World's Cheapest Trimmer model has 10's of thousands of trims on the shoulder surfaces with no appreciable wear on the plastic body and has dulled and "grooved out" the original HSS steel cutters and that caused me to upgrade to four flute carbide end mills for cleaner more burr free cutting.

You only need two WCT bodies for most of the common rifle rounds (these use the shoulder forms of the308/30-06 family and the other uses the .223/5.56 shoulder form for the smaller cases. I got me a 308 body and a 223 body from Holub and I made up a shoulderless .350 Legend set up that uses the face of a keyless chuck as a transfer datum. Since the outer third of the tapered shoulder is the only brass contact area (area that both stops and centers the trimmer) you can see how just a very few plastic bodies that do an entire case family are all that are really needed.

Clean your brass really well as embedded grit is your main enemy and remember to full length size your cases before trimming. After trimming, put the brass in a soapy water vibratory bowl to blunt out and remove the wire edges and you are ready to rinse and dry and prime your bulk trimmed and deburred brass.

Next, Holub will provide replacement bodies for very reasonable if you do manage to screw yours up somehow. Just email him on his order page and web pages and talk to the man. I found him very personable and very helpful.

I gritted up a body once by being just plain careless and lazy -- my bad all the way.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 09-16-2022 at 07:39 AM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I honestly might go this route
    I bought one. You have to really push hard to overcome the spring and it's not reliable enough to not measure every case. The Lee 3 in one press mounted thingy is the best. I've got a graveyard of case trimmers in my garage. Anything to save me time I'm down for. Trimming is the worst part of the process.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Trim It II works well.
    https://www.blackwidowshooters.com

Shiloh
    I got one of those too and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    If it really cant hold better than .003 as one user suggests, its not for me. I use the Wilson trimmer with micrometer adjustment. It is repeatble over and over and over with less than .001" variance and that variance is induced by the operator. Calibers each require a holder. However, if you require volume and can accept a little variance and dont mind the expense, I think you're on the right track.
    I'm not looking to pick a fight here.....but I'd love to see real data points where .002 in brass length shows up in performance or on paper. I'm not being an ass...actually looking to get into the long-range game and this level of precision in brass length is not one of the issues I've seen much chatter about. So....school me. I genuinely wish to learn all I can...
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of the WCT trimmers and I'm pleased with it. It scuffs the brass a little, but I'm not going for looks. It gets the brass within a couple thou, and I don't see any difference in accuracy even if I sort the brass afterwards to get within .001. I bought it because I had one of those hand-crank Lee trimmers and a full kitty litter bucket of 223 range brass. I chucked up the WCT in a benchtop drill press, put on a glove, and went through that bucket of brass at light speed.

Boolit Master
    I put mine in a battery-powered drill mounted horizontally in a bench vise, super fast, super accurate. As noted earlier, use a 4-flute carbide cutter for neater cuts. Rubber gloves make the task easier unless you have tough calluses on your fingers.
    Loren

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123