RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of you a fan of Worlds Finest Trimmer?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I like the idea of setting it up once and not having to mess with it again. With the WFT2 each time you change calibers you have to re-adjust it.
    That's why you save that perfect piece of brass, so its easy to set up every time you switch. I simply put that piece of brass in, set it to the shoulder, and lower the cutting blade to the top of the brass. What's hard about that?

Moderator Emeritus

Don't fault me for the skeptical. But trim .223 brass one time and shoot it through an AR and reload it until the brass has a defect? While never having to trim it more than once?!
    My experience is with 30-30 only, but yea.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of trimmers. The best bang for your buck is the Lee press mounted all in one trimmer with an electric screw driver on top. Keep the chamfer/debur parts clean and they do the trick.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, this is the first time I've ever heard of a RCBS X die. In looking at the instructions, it appears to have a special mandrel that has a step on it that mechanically blocks the case neck from stretching. It is a very neat looking design, and it makes me wonder why it's never talked about. It appears to have no drawbacks and a lot of positives over a standard expander ball die. The price is comparable. It makes me wonder why RCBS still makes their standard sizing dies. Why not ship the X sizer with every set?

I’ve been using these. He calls them the WCT… worlds cheapest trimmer. They are pretty cheap, and once the depth is set, they do work well. With his prices, I bought them in sizes for all of the bottlenecks that I do. They are cartridge specific, so not changing depth setting…
    If I have one complaint about them, it would be that they leave a burnishing on the brass, from spinning.

http://www.newhighpower.com/brass-trimmers.html
    Last edited by Krh1326; 08-29-2022 at 10:17 PM.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    I’ve been using these. He calls them the WCT… worlds cheapest trimmer. They are pretty cheap, and once the depth is set, they do work well. With his prices, I bought them in sizes for all of the bottlenecks that I do. They are cartridge specific, so not changing depth setting…
    If I have one complaint about them, it would be that they leave a burnishing on the brass, from spinning.

http://www.newhighpower.com/brass-trimmers.html
    So they are twice the price of Lee quick trim dies, and don't even chamfer or deburr the cases at all? Hard pass.

Boolit Master

For any of the trimmers that use an end mill as the cutter, replacing the factory high speed steel end mill with a carbide end mill vastly reduces (possibly eliminates) the need for inside/outside chamfering. Carbide leaves a much cleaner case mouth.

Around 2008 I bought 3000 pieces of surplus military 5.56 brass. I already had a paper grocery bag full that needed processing as well. Of course, it had been fired in automatic weapons and left in the weather until it was all dark brown. That was my introduction to citric acid, the miracle worker for weathered brass. After it was sized and polished I think I tried every trimmer I could find short of the RCBS and Giraud out there at the time. I tried the Lee, Possum Hollow, Forster (which I already had for other calibers) and finally the WFT. I got it shortly before the WFT2 came out, which would be my preference over the single caliber WFT. Of all that I tried the WFT was the most productive and my favorite until I got a Dillon RT1200.

I set the Dillon RT1200 up on a 650 toolhead with two other dies (FL size before going to the trimmer and neck expansion after the trimmer) and it gives me ready to load ammo. I do have to run it through the polisher after trimming to get the alcohol/lanolin case lube off but other than that, nothing else is required. The carbide cutter in the RT1200 leaves a very clean case mouth unlike the other trimmers.

The RCBS X dies seem to work well. I bought a set for my 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridges and they've performed as advertised. One of my Swedes is a nice original; the other is a hand built 6.5x55 hunting rifle built on a Mauser 98 action. I think the hunting rifle loses a small amount of accuracy with the X die but it's still a sub-moa rifle.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Trimmers that index off the shoulder work great as long as all the cases are full length sized prior. I have the FA universal trimmer and the world's cheapest trimmer for 300 blackout. They both work the exact same and one is no more precise than the other.
    90% professional 10% mature

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    So they are twice the price of Lee quick trim dies, and don't even chamfer or deburr the cases at all? Hard pass.
    Wish I had seen the Lee quick trimmers, before buying wct , lol
    Last edited by Krh1326; 08-30-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Lee quick trim is trash. Die gets dirty inside, blades get dull FAST, and you have to handle the drill.

This setup can be put on a bench grinder and you only handle the brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee quick trim is trash. Die gets dirty inside, blades get dull FAST, and you have to handle the drill.

This setup can be put on a bench grinder and you only handle the brass.
    It's not trash, it's the best reasonably priced case trimmer I've used. The only other one I'd rather have is the Giraud. I suppose dirt gets inside the die, so what? Blades do not dull fast. Mines still going fine. I've never even heard of anyone dulling one. You don't really handle the drill, it just sits there. All you do is pull the trigger.

I have the original WFT (little crow) for 30/30 someplace. Worked fine. Haven't seen it for several years.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post
    I chuck mine up in a mini-lathe.
    One of my favorite YouTube machinists, This Old Tony, who bought one, calls his the "Minila The" based on Chinese punctuation.

First off, I own a World's Best Trimmer, but it's only for a single caliber, 223 in my case. It's okay. For one caliber.

My new favorite trimmer, for certain calibers, is the Lyman.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman case trimmer Midway.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	303836

My old reliable is the Forster. It always works.

Name:	Forster Case Trimmer crank.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	303837

My mod is to add an adapter that lets me use a right angle battery drill to power the thing and lose the crank.

Name:	45 Forster Pilot in Trimmer IMG_0533.jpg 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	303838
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 09-01-2022 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    My new favorite trimmer, for certain calibers, is the Lyman.

Name:	Lyman case trimmer Midway.jpg 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	303836
    I honestly might go this route

I honestly might go this route
    The Lyman only works with shouldered cases.

The Forster works on all cases. Then again, only shouldered cases seem to "grow."

The Lyman is great for
    .223 Remington
    .300 Blackout
    .308 Winchester...

...for sure
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 09-01-2022 at 11:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    I used and still have a Lyman Universal with the drill attachment. It is slower than the WFT. With the Lyman, you load it into the trimmer, lock it, then rotate forward, and trigger the drill. With the WFT, chuck into the drill and keep the trigger pulled. Feed it brass by hand. It's easily 3 times faster, if not more.

Boolit Master
    I would reload .223 more if i had a match rifle. Just as with my 9mm, i shoot ball ammo through my AR's.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

I bought lee quick trim dies several years ago.

Yes the cutting edges get dull fast. Plus it is a bit of a pain to screw the holder off and tighten for each piece of brass.

I just bought a WCT in .30-30 and ran 20 pieces of brass through it.
    Most it barely touched but I would expect that most were once fired and would not need much.
    2 out of the 20 cut deeper. One pulled up a burr with the cutter and I could not hold it. So I simple switched the drill into reverse and fixed it. No sweat no hassle.

Then spent maybe 4 minutes with a lyman chamfering tool working the insides mostly with just a touch on the outside. Was not a long hard miserable process at all. And now I know I have 20 pieces of brass of uniform length ready to prime and load.

For the price, seems like a win - win solution.

Right now I am not shooting a lot of centerfire bottleneck ammo so I do not know if I will be buying more in the near future or not.
    But I am happy with the one I got.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

For volume trimming I like the honey badger trimmer adaptor to bosch router set-up on one of my progressive presses with a case feeder. Use spray lanolin/alcohol mix and you can take that trimming mountain and make it into a mole hill. The powderful router never bogs down and you can run the press at least as fast as you can while loading or faster. Only downside is they don't have trim dies for every cartridge. I wet tumble the cases afterwards with pins and that seems to remove any sharp edge left by the carbide endmill. For smaller volumes of cases I used either a lyman or forster trimmer hooked up to a drill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast