Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else notice a decline of recreational shooting?

Boolit Master

Here the availability and cost of components is a real barrier to shooting. Primers are simply not available, Guys are starting to shoot much less and make every shot count.
    There are many here who have no components and can not afford the price of powder and primers when they are available.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I live in a rural area, the county population is roughly 37,000 people spread out over the 2nd or 3rd largest county in Oklahoma (McCurtain). I live in the county seat, a small town of 7,000 in population.

When the weather permits, I enjoy sitting on my back deck, watching squirrels, etc. The police range is roughly 1.3 miles to the south of me. I can easily hear when the range is in use, which is outside of city limits. There is a good deal of private property and it wasn't uncommon to hear a few shot's now and then out in the country. This is on a 3 to 4 times a week basis. I have heard fewer shots fired in the past year, than I once heard used to hear in a week's time. And yes, the price of ammunition being what it is, has brought a lot of shooting 'for fun' to a halt.

How is the situation in your area? Just curious.

Murphy
    Pretty much as you described. The mountains carry sound and was very common to hear folks shooting much more than they are now. I know for me the work around here plus projects have been occupying a lot of my time. Keep saying soon when I can start reloading again. Soon...

Boolit Buddy
    Our local range is doing well, they just purchased a 9mm Tippman Gatling Gun to rent and they're well stocked on ammo. The range seems to be picking up since ammo is more accessible and affordable.

As far as backyard plinking goes we used to hear the occasional 22lr or 410 on a snake or squirrel but since our small town of 7k jumped to 7k + 8k illegal aliens we hear gunfire pretty often...
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master
    I live in a rural area surrounded by State land. There has been less shooting.

Still no primers at the LGS 25 miles away but that would not have affected the people who shoot around me as no one reloads. IMO the cost of factory ammunition has had the most effect.

I do not go to public ranges anymore so cannot comment.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    In general, looking at the big picture,, yes,, recreational shooting has declined somewhat.
    With Covid,, many places (regulated) ranges have either shut down, or limited hours etc. And the ones that stay open struggle to pay the bills.
    And with Covid,, the panic pandemic, causing many people to just stay home or whatever,, reduced activity in general.

Then, throw in the politics where there's been a shortage of ammo & handloading components all while combining the fact that there was a rush on the supplies by all shooters. We had an influx of around 8 million new gun owners in a short timeframe. They bought ammo,, NOT understanding the sudden increase in cost due to this crap. Many new gun owners just thought that $1-$2 a round for ammo was "normal." AND they still pay it.

Casual shooting due to the lack of supplies,, AND the increased expanse has declined.

Throw in the loss of places to shoot,, along with the "woke" crowd & such trying to vilify gun owners has not helped. The media, the politicians, etc all have pushed an agenda of a negative stigma associated with shooting.

My local range saw a hard drop in USPSA competition due to the lack of supplies & the covid crap.

Luckily,, the owner is stubborn & will not give up & close down,, so that his "Grandfather Clause" of having the range active won't expire. Fewer places to shoot, and the anti's gain ground against us.

Out in the rural areas,, it too has declined due to the lack of ammo or supplies. But it's also gotten to where even casual rural plinking causes somebody to call the police,, and create some hassles.

But one of our worst enemies is in our own camp. Vista Outdoors. They have 3 of the 4 manufacturing plants for primers. A monopoly. And they would much rather build & sell ammo than reloading primers. And they also look at the big contracts from the military, the government agencies, and the state & local LEO agencies. Why bother trying to sell small quantities of product to normal gun shops,, when compared to selling big contracts. Handling the sales stuff for the average gun shops out there costs them in the number of employees, the handling & advertising, & all other ways required to service such places.
    It's business economics 101.
    Sell to a lot to a few big places,, instead of trying to sell a little to a lot of little places.

Vista Outdoors has us by the short hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Haven't stopped my recreational shooting, just changed to smaller guns, 25/20, 32/20, 218Bee and 22 Hornet that give more bang for your buck.

B.A.-- that's an interesting photo. What's going on there? Could you identify the cartridges for us.....and what's the story on that first casing with the double shoulder or ring around the neck?

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    ...as is in upper, upper NYS ! Not to mention the new LAWS in NYS requiring such that it now is a chore (cased arms in one compartment of vehicle; all ammo in a separate, LOCKED case in another; NO firearms on any private property; "safe zones"; etc.) to go... Not that long ago I'd gently lay down a rifle or two behind seat of my pick-up; ammo in a coffee can or two on floor-board (passenger side) -- my box with glass, stapler, 'ears', and targets kept in rear) -- and off I'd go...
    While the NRA touts a big victory from their support of ruling re handguns in New York City -- that decision resulted in Governor enacting some really excessive laws affecting ALL firearm owners -- 'special emphasis to pistol permiters -- since. (Thank you, NRA! You'll never ever again see as much as a penny from me!)
    That’s a pretty long jump to blaming the NRA for your Governor's idiocy.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

I noticed the start of a decline of recreational shooting at my Private club since the 22LR shortage of 2014. Then the decline of recreational shooting sharpened in months after the St George Floyd riots, which is strange, because there was a reported nationwide increase in first time gun owners during this time...but I suspect my rural area isn't represented in that statistic.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    With Covid and ammo shortages, saw a big drop off at our range. Many a time that I went, nobody to be seen but now, might be one or two at the range. Now that ammo has come back somewhat and prices come down, it seems there are more shooters, but not near as many as pre-c and cheaper ammo. Ammo dumpers might fire off 100-200 rounds, where before it might be 3-4 hundred. A lot more 22 rimfire shooters

Boolit Master
    Almost 20 years ago I bought forest property in northern ca. Any time I shot my 44s someone in the valley would start shooting too. I never met them but we a lot of range days like that. It's been dead quiet for a few years now and I miss it.

My local range has been closed for weeks due to the annual Car Week. Now the the Ferraris and touring cars are gone we get the range back. I'm headed there NOW!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Thanks for the replies friends.

My shooting dropped off tremendously several years back. The closest public range is 35 miles away. It's a decent place and I really shouldn't complain, it beats no place at all to shoot. I guess I became spoiled years ago when we had a private club in our area. I spent many days there, a lot of them alone. Then due to mis-management we lost the land we were leasing. Some time passed and a public range opened about 15 miles from me. Sadly, people abused it to no end. Broken beer bottles, etc. And then there were the bad actors (druggies) who seemed to always show up. It was a crap shoot every time I went there. May not be anyone there, may be a few actual shooters who practiced safe gun handling. Other times, I'd have been better off just turning around and coming back home. Kind of hard to focus on shooting in a setting like that.

I do have one place I can get to within 15 miles behind a locked gate, thank goodness. On the other hand, getting to it depends a lot on the weather. My friend had a good backstop built 200 yards out from his shop. Now the bad part, getting to it at times. It's pasture land and gets slippery quick after bit of rain.

Now the good news. Hopefully between today and tomorrow I'll be checking out a couple of places friends have offered to let me shoot on. A good friend and I will be going to take a look at them. With a little luck, I'll finally have a place I can once again practice shooting in private and not be concerned with yahoo's showing up.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

The Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club is about fifteen minutes from my house, and is a fine facility with pistol, rifle, and trap ranges. There used to be several nearby unsupervised ranges on State Gamelands near here, but most were closed down and demolished a few years ago. The Game Commission still maintains a very nice rifle and pistol range at Gameland 203, which is supervised and maintained. Game Commission regulations forbid shooting at random on any gameland, so unless you have permission to use private property, or are near a range operated by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, you are out of luck.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Out in the country where I live shooting is very common, but is not as common as it was in years past.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Out in the country where I live shooting is very common, but is not as common as it was in years past.
    My experience also
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I shoot here at home, but I've only been out once in a while, I try not to be out shooting when I have any customers due and I've been fairly busy along with avoiding the 100 degree heat in July and early August. Spring was actually really wet and kept me inside.
    Neighbor and at least a couple of friends have fired off ARs magdumping in the past, I hear them once in a while, last weekend for sure, but over past 2 years, less often and less rounds, most probably due to prices... got a newish neighbor that has a couple of young adults that picked up a couple of handguns and have shot near their home a few times. I can easily hear them as it is straight line pasture between us.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    I have not gone to a pistol range in ages - used to shoot with the East Arkansas Peace Officers Assn. Now I shoot off my porch steps, or other spots on my place, or over at cousins' backyard ranges.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'm shooting about the same , whenever I feel like it . I can't answer for anybody else around here since I have only been here about nine months and don't know what normal here is . I hear plenty of shooting so I'm thinking those that want to shoot have figured out how to be able to do it.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

The range is only about 3 miles from my house and I can hear the shots when the range is being used. I have noticed a decline in the amount or recreational shooting. Guys who were regulars at the range I don't see anymore. I can also tell that much less shooting is taking place as range brass has pretty much disappeared.
    I too have both cut back and also got into more shooting with my smaller caliber rifles.
    I still have a decent supply of primers and powder but I am not burning through it as fast as I used to.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I live in a small Nh town of about 3500 people. Lots of open land out here, and I can hear people shooting a LOT on the weekends, and sometimes weekdays too. Occasionally someone must shoot with their morning coffer at 9 or so.
    Haven't noticed a slowdown at all.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    My range closed most on 2020 and part of 2021. Open again but not as much shooting.
    Covid forced most of the ranges and clubs near me to go private. Fort Dix has a decent setup and I get a military retiree discount but it's about an hour away. For most of the last two years attendance was down but the last two months it seems to be picking up a little.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I've heard of one club cancelling their action pistol events due to low turnout, was told it could be the cost of fuel and ammo/components.

One club I belong to is 6 miles away and there's a few regulars there for a couple hours on Sunday am. I've not been there at other times so unsure on usage then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast