Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 suggestions

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My new to me Henry single shot really likes the Laser Cast 300 grain flat point. If you don't pour your own they are a great choice. I poured a bunch of Lyman 457191's last night, really hope the rifle likes them as well. For deer in the woods, heavy boolits and charges are just not needed. I load mine with 12.5 grains of Unique for basically .44 Magnum power level.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

I run a RCBS mold, from a member here, throws a .460-.461 boolet about 420 gr. seems to do fine in my micro groove 1895.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been very happy the the Lyman #457191 45 Caliber 292 Grain cast bullet sized to .459 in my Marlin 1895 with 22-25 grains of 5744.
    I've won or placed with this rifle and load in several state and local SASS matches. Our club ( https://freestaterangers.com/rifle-range-information/ ) long range matches for big bore lever start at 200 yards to 300, and finish at 400 yards. This rifle and loads does very well with most properly sized bullets up to 405 grains. It shoots well with 500 grain bullet too. Pretty stiff recoil and you have to load it singely and the bad news is you can't unload it, it has to be fired.
    TF

Boolit Master
    460 grain WFN running 1200 FPS deadly and deadly accurate.

Second choice is a 325 Grain LFN loaded over Unique to around 1400 FPS.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My new to me Henry single shot really likes the Laser Cast 300 grain flat point. If you don't pour your own they are a great choice. I poured a bunch of Lyman 457191's last night, really hope the rifle likes them as well. For deer in the woods, heavy boolits and charges are just not needed. I load mine with 12.5 grains of Unique for basically .44 Magnum power level.
    My Henry shoots everything very accurately but really likes a lighter loaded 460 grain WFN over Unique 1200 FPS. Love that’s rifle it’s really awesome wood and easy to carry and accurate to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    I am retired from the US COAST GUARD after 20 years, and spent almost 6 of those years in Kodiak, Alaska. I hunted exclusively with a Marlin 1895. Deer, elk , and for self defense against brown bears. I also had a Ruger #1 but always felt more comfortable with the Marlin. I guess cause I knew had more than one shot. I met three or four professional bear guides, and they carried the MARLIN 1895 for insurance. It was always heavy loaded, and they depended on it exclusively. I got into reloading at that time, but honestly never loaded cast bullets. I do not know why, just never did. I always wanted to go moose hunting but never did.

Boolit Buddy
    But is still one of my favorite cartridges, I have a Henry 45-70 and an old H & R shikarh single shot 45-70

Boolit Buddy
    any of yall shoot or have a 45-120? was wondering if I keep the loads down, if I could chamber that H & R in 45 - 120.

Trapdoor speeds tamed the old west and wiped out the Bison herds (what a travesty).
    I guess if you need to fight the Predator like Arnold fought in the movie you may need a magnum 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    My Henry shoots everything very accurately but really likes a lighter loaded 460 grain WFN over Unique 1200 FPS. Love that’s rifle it’s really awesome wood and easy to carry and accurate to boot.
    Is yours a lever action or single shot? My single shot really likes the Lyman 457191 as cast and dipped in LLA over 12.8 grains Unique and an LP primer. Of course, Unique is now on the endangered species list around here so I am thinking about what other powders may work. The GMDR site shows data for Titegroup which looks promising and is easy to find here.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

This is something I am rather adamant about! There is absolutely no reason on this planet to punish yourself with heavier loads and boolits unless you are hunting big game with the gun.

My standard load for my 1895 CB with Serious Recoil Pad and Graycoil Recoil Reducer is,,, 33g r of 5744 with an RCBS .45-300FNGC boolit. Mine come out @325-330 gr. 1550-1600 fps. I can shoot 50 of these in a morning and not have "after effects." My gun weighs 8 lbs. on the nose and with heavier loads will get your attention. If I went Elk Hunting with that gun I would use an RCBS .45-405 FNGC boolit running at the same speed and I could survive a few rounds checking Zero and firing 1-2 rounds at said Elk. If I was going for Cape Buffalo I know I can run the same size Boolit at 2000 fps (or maybe a Belt Mountain Punch Solid/ Replica made by BPM) and be totally fine. That would definitely be very few shots from beginning to end.

All that said my standard load would be fine for anything in N/A so act accordingly.

Your 1886 with the Curved Steel Butt Plate will lower your ability to shoot heavier loads significantly, and anything above Trapdoor level loads will be instantly noticeable.

Just for info The Aug 2007 Handloader Magazine #248 has the definitive article by Brian Pearce on loading the .45-70 for modern guns from Mild to Wild, and is a must have reference for loading this cartridge. Don't be afraid to keep the Magazine in the bathroom for reading there. I have read that article at least 50 times and learn something new every time.

Good Luck

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Para LDA 1640 373.jpg   Para LDA 1640 367.jpg   Para LDA 1640 354.jpg   100464040.JPG   100464006.JPG  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-18-2022 at 05:10 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I have a range of boolits for my Pedersoli 1886 ranging from a 260gn 'squib' to 500gn. Recoil is mild with typical trapdoor loads.

Do you have a real picture of your gun? I've always wanted to see one that wasn't a stock photo

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This is something I am rather adamant about! There is absolutely no reason on this planet to punish yourself with heavier loads and boolits unless you are hunting big game with the gun.

My standard load for my 1895 CB with Serious Recoil Pad and Graycoil Recoil Reducer is,,, 33g r of 5744 with an RCBS .45-300FNGC boolit. Mine come out @325-330 gr. 1550-1600 fps. I can shoot 50 of these in a morning and not have "after effects." My gun weighs 8 lbs. on the nose and with heavier loads will get your attention. If I went Elk Hunting with that gun I would use an RCBS .45-405 FNGC boolit running at the same speed and I could survive a few rounds checking Zero and firing 1-2 rounds at said Elk. If I was going for Cape Buffalo I know I can run the same size Boolit at 2000 fps (or maybe a Belt Mountain Punch Solid/ Replica made by BPM) and be totally fine. That would definitely be very few shots from beginning to end.

All that said my standard load would be fine for anything in N/A so act accordingly.

Your 1886 with the Curved Steel Butt Plate will lower your ability to shoot heavier loads significantly, and anything above Trapdoor level loads will be instantly noticeable.

Just for info The Aug 2007 Handloader Magazine #248 has the definitive article by Brian Pearce on loading the .45-70 for modern guns from Mild to Wild, and is a must have reference for loading this cartridge. Don't be afraid to keep the Magazine in the bathroom for reading there. I have read that article at least 50 times and learn something new every time.

Good Luck

Randy
    The same article appeared in Rifle magazine, I've read it many times!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Good Luck

Randy
    Randy
    the rifle length 1886 is a ten pound gun - that extra two pounds soaks up a fair bit of backthrust. Mine is a Chiappa, pretty much identical ballistics as yours (blackpowder duplex load and cast boolit tho). I am in my 70's and 5'8" - dont find the recoil specially exciting.

The curved buttplate will teach you a bit about anatomy if you hold it wrong but once a feller figures out the hold is a little different? --again not specially exciting at these (modest load) levels.

Heavy recoil like from a 45/120 and on up tends to do unfriendly things to my spine - I am allergic to members of the medical profession and dont like chiropractors that much so I tend to mostly avoid the big thumpers - if I do take an occasional shot of one of those its standing offhand only.

Self protection in the bush might be a different matter but even then - nobody does well with a gun they are scared of , add in a critter they are scared of approaching at high speed .................................................. .......................................

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Randy
    the rifle length 1886 is a ten pound gun - that extra two pounds soaks up a fair bit of backthrust. Mine is a Chiappa, pretty much identical ballistics as yours (blackpowder duplex load and cast boolit tho). I am in my 70's and 5'8" - dont find the recoil specially exciting.

The curved buttplate will teach you a bit about anatomy if you hold it wrong but once a feller figures out the hold is a little different? --again not specially exciting at these (modest load) levels.

Heavy recoil like from a 45/120 and on up tends to do unfriendly things to my spine - I am allergic to members of the medical profession and dont like chiropractors that much so I tend to mostly avoid the big thumpers - if I do take an occasional shot of one of those its standing offhand only.

Self protection in the bush might be a different matter but even then - nobody does well with a gun they are scared of , add in a critter they are scared of approaching at high speed .................................................. .......................................
    Maybe its because my Chiappa 1886 is newer (from 2022) but mine is 9 lb. I'm only mentioning it to you in case you use your gun in recoil calculations you might want to check.

If anyone is curious, I have gotten the formula into a spreadsheet. Instead of using recoil tools online you can now put it in a spreadsheet next to all your loads.

What I do is make a separate sheet in google sheets called "Rifles"

Then I put 2 columns, "NAME" and "WEIGHT"

Then I list all my guns right down there

THen, in my load spreadsheet, I use "data validations" to create a dropdown which lets me select the gun, and it will compute recoil. If anyone wants it I can put it here. I am a spreadsheet freak though so maybe no one cares

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Maybe its because my Chiappa 1886 is newer (from 2022) but mine is 9 lb. I'm only mentioning it to you in case you use your gun in recoil calculations you might want to check.

If anyone is curious, I have gotten the formula into a spreadsheet. Instead of using recoil tools online you can now put it in a spreadsheet next to all your loads.

What I do is make a separate sheet in google sheets called "Rifles"

Then I put 2 columns, "NAME" and "WEIGHT"

Then I list all my guns right down there

THen, in my load spreadsheet, I use "data validations" to create a dropdown which lets me select the gun, and it will compute recoil. If anyone wants it I can put it here. I am a spreadsheet freak though so maybe no one cares

Weighed mine (again) only luggage scale so maybe a tad over
    Chiappa 1886 = 9.8 lb .......(edit).Chiappa website says 9 lb the standard 26" and 10 lb the deluxe
    Uberti 1876 = 10.25 lb ..........(edit) Uberti website still a mess -am sure the 76 was advertised 10 lb neat when I bought it .
    Marcheno Sharps = 10.5 lb

My chiappa has dark heavy wood. I think it and the Uberti are close to spec weight from the adverts.
    If you wanna put that spreadsheet up might be fun
    That sharps used to punish me - little skinny carbine stock, steel buttplate, barrel been cut 4 inches, 535 grain boolit over a full case of FFFg, the gun didnt make 8 pound at the time - I ran the numbers online a couple times ........no wonder it hurt !!!! ....added a couple pound of lead and some stockwork - increased area of buttplate - its not so bad now
    Last edited by indian joe; 10-26-2022 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Weighed mine (again) only luggage scale so maybe a tad over
    Chiappa 1886 = 9.8 lb .......(edit).Chiappa website says 9 lb the standard 26" and 10 lb the deluxe
    Uberti 1876 = 10.25 lb ..........(edit) Uberti website still a mess -am sure the 76 was advertised 10 lb neat when I bought it .
    Marcheno Sharps = 10.5 lb

My chiappa has dark heavy wood. I think it and the Uberti are close to spec weight from the adverts.
    If you wanna put that spreadsheet up might be fun
    That sharps used to punish me - little skinny carbine stock, steel buttplate, barrel been cut 4 inches, 535 grain boolit over a full case of FFFg, the gun didnt make 8 pound at the time - I ran the numbers online a couple times ........no wonder it hurt !!!! ....added a couple pound of lead and some stockwork - increased area of buttplate - its not so bad now
    Oh wow... I didn't even know they made a deluxe model. Crap. Can I see a photo of yours so I can see what's different other than the checkering? If I missed out on a really nice looking wood figure i would be sad

2007 Handloader mag article?

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The same article appeared in Rifle magazine, I've read it many times!

Would anyone be willing to share a copy of the Pearce article on the .45-70? My subscription started after that. Thanks, hc18flyer

https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

This link helps in load development and explains what is happening when your 7.5 pound Ruger #1 in .45-70 Gov’t kicks the **** out you on the bench.

Recoil velocity as well as Foot-pounds of energy.

“Wow!. THAT load hit me HARD and FAST!”

Boolit Buddy
    I just worked a load up for my Marlin 1895. 405 grain jacketed soft point over 43 grains aa2230. very accurate (apple sized groups on steel at 100 yds) and hits like a freight train.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast