MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: O3-A3 load

Boolit Mold

O3-A3 load

I'm a new guy and realize if I had patience I'd probably find multiple threads on what I'm doing. But I am using the materials I have on hand- 170 gr. flat nose from a LEE LH 309-170 mold I bought to experiment with 30-30 loads.I had limited luck with those because I was using hytec coating and it was building up after 6-8 rounds and causing difficulty chambering. I went back to just casting from straight wheelweights and running them through a .310 sizer to seat a gas check and rolling in ALOX lube. they seem to be doing fairly well in my old rifle with a 2 groove 1943 barrel I bought in the cosmoline years ago and installed. anyway I had very little 2400 that I saw reccomended in an article by C E Harris saying 16 grains worked well,and my local supplier says they can't get any Alliant powders in. but I have an old can of 3031 that he says 24 grains will work pretty good. I fired some today along with a few unique loads. the 3031 grouped better considering my 74 year old eyes. fairly stout recoil but better than full house. anyway I have a reduced range high power match ( 100 yd. ) Saturday and I want to use the rifle.I am thinking about reducing the loads to 22 grains. I really don't have time for any more testing and I need to get 50 rounds loaded. anybody have thoughts on whether there is any drawback to going that light? Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Drawback is likely your accuracy. Without testing I would use what I have that is accurate for a match.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Well I did get time to test another load today. went down to 22.5 grains of 3031 and it grouped better and recoil was milder. had to raise the rear sight 2 clicks to center the group. I hold a 6 o'clock hold on the bull anyway. works better for me.

Boolit Master

When Alliant comes back into stock, 13 grains of Red Dot is also a winner with that boolit.

Boolit Master
    If you put a pinch of dacron under the bullet, you may get better ignition. I had some hangfires with light charges of 3031 and 4895 until I followed Larry Gibson's advice on using the dacron. Good load 13gr Red Dot.

Moderator Emeritus

For 170gr FNGC bullets in my '06 03-A3 I have used a similar load with an even-Steven twenty-four grains of (my all around favourite rifle powder) IMR3031. Works well for my 74 year old eyes...*BUT* I must confess, partially vis the eyes compounded with a bum leg -- I do 99% of my shooting at only 75 yards range.
    gep

Also recommend the load, 13 grains of red dot. I have the same two groove rifle and use the Lyman 311334 or rcbs 165 sil boolit sized to .311
    Loads will do about 1.5" @ 100 yards or a bit better. It is one of my favorite rifles.

Boolit Master
    Don't think you could find a really bad load with most bore riders in an A3 barrel.

Boolit Master

Need a manual IMHO

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Need a manual IMHO
    Two, more like. Lyman's #3 Cast Boolit book, and a more current book for J-word thingies.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome new guy!
    Your rifle should be an easy one to get accuracy out of. A good cleaning, and start playing.
    My rifle shoots the Lyman 311-466, 311-291, and RCBS 30-165 all pretty darned good.
    My accuracy with all my cast loads in several guns, has been on the slower side, and with small charges of Pistol Powders, such as 12 - 13 grains Red, or Green Dot, or Unique. 2400 will work ok, at about 17 grains for me, but my accuracy has not been as good with it as with others. Maybe a little crimp would have helped with the 2400?

My experience with 3031, and 4895 is limited, but I have not had good luck. I think with a filler, and a light consistent crimp it would work better, but I have not tried that. I am a little spooked of fillers, and so far have not used them.
    Larry Gibson has proven that they are safe if done correctly, but I dont care to use them.

I have also had good accuracy with 20 grains of 4227, but I have a consistent crimp. So case length has to be uniform, so that you can maintain a uniform crimp. I use a Lee collett crimping die for this.

Lots of ideas out there. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Grand Master
    16 gr of 2400 gave soot all over the necks in two rifles. Increased charges ended the soot and accuracy improved.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Here's a pic of a group I shot last weekend.
    Load was 7.5 grains of red dot
    Noe 156 pb, Eastwood ford light blue
    Fed pistol primer
    Measured 1-1/8" at 100 yards
    1903a3
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220905_144332.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	304097