Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple Marlin Ballard rifles.

A couple Marlin Ballard rifles.

Along with my recent Darr Rolling Block, I also picked up a couple Ballard barreled actions, and some parts. In looking through the parts I discovered one of the Ballard rifles, a #2 in .32 Long, was a complete rifle with matching numbers on the parts. So I set to putting it back together today, and darned if it wasn't actually a decent old Ballard!
    The other was a Ballard #3 with no wood, and missing the lever. Not a bad looking rifle, but what to do with it? I scrounged through my parts and discovered several levers, and one buttstock that happened to be a very high grade pistol grip, checkered stock, with Sharps style buttplate. And it was made to adapt to a straight grip receiver! Looking at my levers, I found one that was bent, and reshaped for the same purpose! Maybe they came off the same gun back when I got them? Can't recall for sure.
    So put the fancy wood, and the fancy lever on the barreled action. It snapped up nicely, and sure seems to go with the shape of the stock well. Found an original forearm for #3 in .22RF also, and it must have been the same weight barrel as it too fits great. Not as fancy as the buttstock, but that's OK. Need to adjust the mounting hole slightly, as it's about a half hole off between barrel and forearm.
    Son in law has asked to buy the #2 in .32 Long, so he's getting that one. The #3 in .22 Long will go to the gun show too help fund the Sharps I'm saving up for.

Boolit Master
    Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Outstanding!
    Thanks! The little #3's are nice rifles that use the same full sized action as all Marlin Ballards use, so kinda overkill for a .22 rimfire. I think I've got 4 of them already, so this is a 5th one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Thanks! The little #3's are nice rifles that use the same full sized action as all Marlin Ballards use, so kinda overkill for a .22 rimfire. I think I've got 4 of them already, so this is a 5th one.
    Most of the older men on my mom’s side of the family shot competitive target and a couple of them owned those rifles in .22 for 100 yd offhand matches.

Most of the older men on my mom’s side of the family shot competitive target and a couple of them owned those rifles in .22 for 100 yd offhand matches.
    Ballard rifles were one of the most commonly found rifles on firing lines in the late 1800's up to WWI era. Competitive shooters really liked these actions.

Boolit Master
    My family used their rifles from WW1 into the mid 1960’s (bunch of cheap old Germans). They were still winning pot shoots when they finally switched to bolt action single shot guns.

Boolit Master
    Very nice. Never seem to come across them here.

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Very nice. Never seem to come across them here.
    I hear this often from friends in the Midwest, and East Coast. They're not common here, but seem to be more prevalent than other areas.

My family used their rifles from WW1 into the mid 1960’s (bunch of cheap old Germans). They were still winning pot shoots when they finally switched to bolt action single shot guns.
    That's pretty cool. I used to see some guys shooting them in adult smallbore competitions also, and that was only 25-30 yrs. ago. I hear some are still competing in .22 rimfire schuetzen matches with them.

Boolit Master
    PM sent!

Boolit Buddy

I got my BALLARD 32rf from a farmer who came in the store (ag equipment mfg company). He had been using his to kill hogs with, but had run out of ammunition and could not locate any. He asked if we had a 22rf. We did…

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

My son in law is ending up with both of these Ballard rifles. He wanted the #2 right off, but once he saw the #3 with the deluxe buttstock, he wanted it too. So they'll go to a good home, and money will go towards the 1874 Gemmer Sharps.

Vall, I never get tired of looking at your historic rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now I want to come play at your house more than ever, Vall. You have so many neat toys. BTW, do you have or know where I can get one of the levers like those used on the pacific, only for a single trigger. Of all the original Ballard designs, that seems to be the only one I can’t find in original or reproduction.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Now I want to come play at your house more than ever, Vall. You have so many neat toys. BTW, do you have or know where I can get one of the levers like those used on the pacific, only for a single trigger. Of all the original Ballard designs, that seems to be the only one I can’t find in original or reproduction.
    Froggie
    Those single trigger levers like the Pacific, but for single triggers were a JM Marlin style used prior to 1881 on all #2, and #4 Ballard rifles. They changed to the S lever in 1881.
    I never see those levers loose from rifles either. I have a number of early JM Marlin rifles with that lever, but no spare levers of that type. I do have a Pope style schuetzen lever, but haven't found a gun to use it on yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve seen a grand total of one of these single trigger small loop levers offered for sale. It was on flea Bay several years ago and at least two bidders felt like they really needed it. The result was a price at nose bleed levels. I wonder if Rodney has ever considered adding this to his selection of castings?

Froggie

Probably have to ask Rodney on that question? I haven't had a Ballard that needed this loop lever, so haven't approached him about it. I know he's done the Pope style, and I think the loop lever used on Union Hill and Rigby models.

Boolit Grand Master
    At one time or another I’ve seen castings attributed to Rodney for every factory Ballard lever I know of except the single trigger small loop of which we speak. I have one of his four finger, single trigger levers that the late Joe Harz fitted to an action for me (otherwise still a raw casting) but of course it’s contoured for a pistol grip action like the Rigby, so it looks weird on my straight grip receiver.

I don’t know whether it’s just my natural attraction to the unusual or what, but I’d love to have one of those early loop levers on my Franken-Ballard. Of course a new casting would be fine with me as nothing else about this poor old gun is original!

Froggie

Sad update.
    I sold the little pistol gripped Ballard to a friend in Montana. Sent it USPS Priority Mail on Sept. 1st, and it went from my local station to the Portland, Or. main distribution center. At that point it seemed to vanish, and no sign it ever left the center legally. So someone inside the USPS stole the package, and the Ballard is gone.
    Numerous attempts to get answers from USPS have resulted in one single reply from USPS in Montana stating it never got there. Other complaints or requests have been ignored, so heading to USPS today to file an insurance claim and see how they handle that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast