RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Holding a GC while sizing it

Boolit Buddy

Holding a GC while sizing it

I seat my Gator checks in a hand die I made that holds the bullet aligned and seat them with an arbor press. I know that at least then, they are seated to the bullet base and square. I then run them into a sizing die, base first. When they come out, they aren't flat anymore, there is a dish in the check, and I have no assurance they didn't cock going into the sizing die, even though my rig has an ejector rod that is held at the top of the stroke that I press against. But for sure, they were flat when I seated them at first, then with the crimping/sizing, the dish forms, which means the edges may not seated firmly against the bullet base anymore.

Seems a method of holding the check against the bullet base WHILE sizing would not allow that dish to happen. Ideas?

Accuracy is the goal here, the base is important.

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornSutton View Post
    my rig has an ejector rod that is held at the top of the stroke that I press against.
    When you bear down on the lever, there's no pressure holding the rod up and it will free float going down
    until it hits the depth/stop adjustment point.

To seat them on the press- put a flat piece of steel over the die.
    Someboby makes a special little tool for doing that, but anything flat and about 1/8" or so thick will work.

I'd wonder if the check is really seated that well to start with.
    I use Hornady checks out of habit, and can feel and almost hear sort of a click when they are fully seated,
    and the boolit will stand straight up on the bench before I size and crimp it on the boolit base.

The cup on the rod helps keeps all the pressure around the edge of the check where it needs to be to get a uniform crimp.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-24-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, that is a good idea, I could cup the rod to push against the outside edges instead of flat. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornSutton View Post
    Well, that is a good idea, I could cup the rod to push against the outside edges instead of flat. Thanks.

You're more than welcome.
    It just popped into my head, so I did a edit to describe seating the check on the press too.
    Good luck with it.....
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I did some experimenting awhile back on group sizes and gas checks seating. What I found for me was that the group sizes were excellent and the same regardless of whether the gas check was flat or dished--as long as it was even (in other words, the checked bullets stand up straight on the bench). If the bullets would not stand up straight group sizes went up.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Mold
    Not sure which way you are “dished “ but just run a gc thru THEN put that gc on seating stem and run them thru. That wil take up difference between forming pin and and shank of gc. Basically make a gc and use that as a spacer in your die

Boolit Grand Master
    I seat my GC's with a "C" Lee press. I made a flat to install as you would install a shell holder and then I milled a bolt flat to thread into the area where a die would thread into. End objective is to have two flat surfaces approach each other when the ram is run up & down. Works primarily for flat meplat and bolts that don't mind a little flat on the nose. Hollow points are OK if they have substantial girth to withstand the pressures of seating the GC. Quick and easy and it firmly seats those that are difficult to get all the way on. Then I run 'em through a sizing die in another press.

Boolit Master

My SAECO and Cramer lubesizers have a little cast arm that swings out for gas check seating, the boolit get aligned with the top punch and is squished down on the gas check. Tim

You can use a 1/8" thick steel plate, 1" wide to cover the sising die hole, seat the GC against it with the top punch. I use Hornady GCs because they crimp onto the bullet base.
    Any more, I just PC bullets with a GC. I get plain base bullets.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

depending on the amount of dome you may be seeing a thing thats been known in the die making industry, When you size a cups dia down the area reduces and the base is to big causing it to dome

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    depending on the amount of dome you may be seeing a thing thats been known in the die making industry, When you size a cups dia down the area reduces and the base is to big causing it to dome
    Understood. Since this dish forms with the edge "high", I recut the bottom of the stop with a taper inwards. I tried a 4 degree in the compound and tried seating a check, and the base was then domed outwards, so I moved to 3 degrees, and they look nice and flat. Essentially, forced the edge farther. I'll see how they shoot.