WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet lube for light loads

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shak3s1977 View Post
    This builds up after only 10 rounds or so. Well the #5 load does.
    Try a faster powder . I bought Acc #5 with the hopes the burn rate would be close to Unique , which is great for mid-range loads but you can't light load it ... low pressure = poor combustion + filthy loads . Working with it and 38SPL HV supplying some load data he chronoed , has shown Acc #5 to be a good deal slower and best regulated to at least +P loads and Magnum loads .
    If you can try some powder with a faster burn rate ... it should help .
    I tried for years to load target loads with Unique ... it just won't work ...wrong burn rate and no way to get around it . A can of Bullseye opened my eyes ...700X , Red Dot , W231 , HP-38 ...all will give you better results !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Try a faster powder . I bought Acc #5 with the hopes the burn rate would be close to Unique , which is great for mid-range loads but you can't light load it ... low pressure = poor combustion + filthy loads . Working with it and 38SPL HV supplying some load data he chronoed , has shown Acc #5 to be a good deal slower and best regulated to at least +P loads and Magnum loads .
    If you can try some powder with a faster burn rate ... it should help .
    I tried for years to load target loads with Unique ... it just won't work ...wrong burn rate and no way to get around it . A can of Bullseye opened my eyes ...700X , Red Dot , W231 , HP-38 ...all will give you better results !
    Gary
    Thanks. I do have lots of 700x and am currently experimenting with 231. I really like the 231 so far, so maybe I'll leave the #5 for something else.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This is not a problem I have had, but Carnauba blue (or red) are not good 45 acp lubes. Many shoot them, and they go bang, but those lubes stay solid on 45 acp bullets. Every bullet I've ever recovered still had lube full in the groove. It looks like none of the lube is consumed. They don't lead, and they go bang, so most people just ignore it.

NRA 50/50 lube is definitely worth a try. That is a classic that got popular for bullseye loads in the 45 acp. White Label lubes will send samples. Try their NRA 50/50. Another one you will want to try is their blackpowder lube. One of those two are likely to be the best for your needs. That's not to say nothing else they make is good, but they are all relatively hard. BAC is kind of the middle ground.
    Do you know if the RCBS pistol lube is NRA 50/50? It says formulated to NRA Specifications on the box. Maybe I'll give it a whirl since it came with the sizer. I'll go ahead and order some 50/50 from White Label. I have 4 more sticks of White Label Blue. I'll probably use them on my 357 magnum and 45-70 loads. Should work good for them.

Boolit Master
    Conventionally lubed bulets are dirtier to shoot than powder coated and if you don't like cleaning your guns stick with coated. I use WLL XLOX 2500 for all my rifle and pistol bullets and it works well even with very low power 45 ACP and Bullseye. With 3.1 grs of BE and a 190gr SWC in a tuned SA Range Officer I can go 500 or more rounds before a cleaning is needed. The fouling is easy to remove, take off the slide and spray with WD40 and scrub with a GI toothbrush. Wipe off the crud, lube and reassemble. Takes all of 10 minutes and you're back in business. If you'e getting a lot of unburned or partially burned powder residue increase your load or change powder.

Boolit Master
    I would follow gwpercle’s advice here. A fast powder with a short pressure spike should seal the chamber, and still give lower recoil.
    Another thing to consider is the size of lube groove. If you continue to have problems, get a mold with a smaller lube groove.

Stick with PC or use BLL. 231 is much faster then #5. Don't know why anybody would buy a lubrisizer these days.
    Whatever!

Call Veral at LLS.com, he has what you need. Really helped me.

Try 10% less than the starting load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12