RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Matchmakers?

Any Matchmakers?

I’m tired of waiting for grandkids. My daughter (26 years old) needs a spouse. She lives in Phoenix, has a Masters degree, and is self sufficient. She needs a nice Christian man who can tolerate me and possibly has a desire to relocate to Texas.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I'm an old fart 71 and married so not looking.
    Just wondering, what's wrong with her?
    Should be beating them off with a stick!
    Perhaps she is choosey for the right reasons which greatly limits the playing field.
    Sounds like she has it together and the last thing she or you need is a leech.

You find good people in unlikely places.
    I've known people who didn't have the opportunity to interact with very many different people,
    so they got a part time job where they did.

One buddy got a part time job with a messenger service that sent him to all the big office towers in downtown.
    He wasn't looking to get married, but he was never short on dates.

Another worked at Home Depot awhile. He specialized in answering questions and giving directions
    to women that came in and looked lost as they were wandering around the isles.

I'm not sure where women could go, or do to be on the hunt,
    but it darn sure isn't on internet dating sites or bars and night clubs.

Another idea is to get her back to Texas.
    The same ideas apply, but we have about the highest concentration of former Marines in the country.
    She should be able to find one that's a good guy and can appreciate your Gruntish ways.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Nothing is wrong with her. She is perfect and I’ll stand toe to toe with anyone who says different (LMAO).
    I’ll be visiting her in a couple of weeks and would like to introduce her to someone of like mind.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    What does she think about all this ??? Would love to be a mouse in the corner for the shall we say festivitys ??

If you believe what you read, half the men out there under 30 have given up on women and the other half are gay. Sounds like anybody who wants to find a gal now has it all pretty much to himself...

Half Dog old son .. i got to tell you I have seven grand daughters and grand sons in that age bracket and the atmosphere they have to contend with is just plain hostile ..They will tell grandma and me things they are not about to tell their parents ..
    So kool your jets dad cause they be tiptoeing in alligators trying to find the chemistry as well as separate the wheat from the chaff
    Theys a krap load of culls out there!
    BEAR

I have a 22 year old son in Casa Grande, but he's a wastrel with no job, and severely unmotivated...

Boolit Master
    Half Dog, the BEST thing you can do to help your daughter meet the right man is to NOT HELP HER. Trying to set her up with prospective matches puts INCREDIBLE pressure on all concerned. It sounds like you raised her right, so TRUST HER. Please...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    If you believe what you read, half the men out there under 30 have given up on women ...
    Especially if they've experienced, or seen someone else go through 'family court', and had what they'd worked
    real long and hard for be given away as cash and prizes to someone else for breaking their wedding vows.
    In our society- word has gotten around that one group of people are often well rewarded for breaking a contract.
    Men in general are now taking a real hard look at the pros and cons of long term relationships and marriage.

Not in Dog's case, but something that's out there now worse than it ever was:
    The folks most negatively effected by this are single moms. Hooking up with one-
    guys are realizing they are looked at as being a ATM machine for supporting and raising someone else's kid.
    Stories abound where a guy poured his heart & soul into being a good step Dad, and when there's a bump in the road--
    they're rewarded with, "I don't have to listen to you...... You're not my Dad".

I wish the best for all involved, but the singles scene now days ain't nothing like we remember it.

In years past: Women were the gate keepers in, and determined who was allowed into relationships.
    At this point in history, in our society:
    A decent looking guy, on the tall side, with nice hair, good teeth, a good job, can pass a drug test and security clearance,
    doesn't have jail house tattoos, and doesn't have to keep appointments with his Parole Officer---
    That guy is the prize now, and the competition to find and latch onto him is vicious.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-24-2022 at 01:57 AM.

EVERYONE!

It's tough out there.

Before my late wife passed away six years ago, she made me promise to get into another relationship, "right away." Whatever that means. And by the way, don't make people promise you things when you're on your death bed!!! LOL

Anyhoo, about three or four years after she died, it seemed like it was time to start seeing people again. I didn't exactly start looking, but I kept my eyes peeled for opportunities and dated a few people in my age group. Mid 50's.

Lemmetellya, the women I dated were and are psychotic. Scary psychotic. Weird, at best. It took me about a year to throw in the towel and simply give up. I had no doubt I could live the rest of my life with my late wife's little dogs near me to keep me company and I'd be good going forward.

Of course, as they say, it's when you stop looking that it happens. I met a lady at a friend's New Year's Eve party and spent the evening chatting with her for a very long time. We had similar interests and we had a LOT to talk about. I thought she was very nice but I was still trying to date one of the aforementioned psychos so I didn't ask for her phone number.

Six months later, I finally asked our mutual friend to give her my number and the rest, as they say is history. We fell in love soon after, and married soon after that. Seven months later, to be precise. There are a gazillion other details but I'll spare you the super long story of a very new relationship.

We've been married now for about a year and a half and it's been wonderful and it's getting better all the time.

In short, I'd tell your daughter that there is no rush. It will happen and it will be better if she doesn't push it. Date some people sure, but don't make any commitments to people who have no drive or ambition. And check people's credit!

That reminds me, I have another story to tell but it can wait. Short version on that is, tell her that if some dude asks to borrow money from her, she MUST block all future communications with him. Don't even give the "no" answer, just block all comms. Trust me on that.

And wish her luck!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Let's get down to the nitty gritty here and stop fooling around Half Dog . . . .

I'm talking DOWEY!!!

How many ponies, head of fat cattle, one eyed goats and three legged chickens you willing to toss in to sweeten the pot?

Unless your daughter, and I'm sure she's a fine woman, is asking for your help . . . that's one path I wouldn't be walking.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 08-24-2022 at 08:43 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Personal choices:
    More and more of today's young adults are choosing to stay single longer...add to that, If she has had few men chasing after her, she is likely choosing to be in places where there are few men of the chasing variety.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

After my divorce and being out here for a couple of years, I decided I was ready to date again. Tried Eharmony and Our Time. Waste of time as it was basically hooking up - well did met a nymph but this is a family site so... I ended up trying FarmersOnly.com. met some of the nicest and down to earth people. Met my gf there and we have been together almost four years and living together the last two. I realize I am a lot older than your daughter but there were a lot of younger folks there. They just have a different outlook that is refreshing nowadays. She could try that site. My son is 28, single, and just started a new job last month in a lab (biology degree). Lives in NJ but not really a go getter and doubt he would move to Texas. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    A lot of good comments above.

And as many have mentioned,, breaking a marriage can be costly & ugly. A good friend of mine made one of the best comments I've ever heard about such happenings. He said; "A judge looks at a former husband as a sperm bank with a checkbook."

But back to the initial request.

You mentioned one thing that MIGHT work out. You mentioned Christian. So,, having her go to different churches to visit & see how she likes that church AND the people. She MIGHT get lucky & find a GENTLEMAN there. Just a possibility.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't get involved in Her love life ... it never ends well .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think many of you understand just how much the past two years effected us younger people. Cut us some slack. Real dating was effectively banned for two years. If you weren't in the college crowd, you were SOL. Things have really only gotten back to normal this summer for a lot of places.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Half Dog, the BEST thing you can do to help your daughter meet the right man is to NOT HELP HER. Trying to set her up with prospective matches puts INCREDIBLE pressure on all concerned. It sounds like you raised her right, so TRUST HER. Please...
    I have to agree with this! Just saying............!

I don't know much about dating. I got married at 18 and I just turned 65, so any experience I may have is rather out of date. I have heard some of my friends talk about their dating experiences and its rather scary! STD's, drugs, psycho women, psycho X'es, brat kids, ect make finding a decent spouse a challenge. Not to mention liberal judges that are just waiting to throw the book at some poor inspecting guy.

Too young for me and too old for my GKs. But it does sound like a great deal for somebody.
    Whatever!

As a nation- we now get instant gratification for everything.
    No matter what you want, go to Walmart, Amazon, or on line shopping for anything, and it's right there.
    Many people believe there's no reason finding the love of your life should be any different.
    Just go to a dating site, look around a few minutes, do a couple of mouse clicks, and grab one.

However--- The modern generation dating sites are a dumpster fire at best.
    There was a guy on youtube that posted 'the dating profile of the day' from some of them.

Some were just hilarious.
    You'd see a trend where as women got older, their demands of a man go up.
    As guys got older, their demands remained the same--- don't be a fat drama queen.
    But their toleration for nonsense and bs goes way down.

You'd see ones like:
    I'm 36, height weight proportionate (which really means 'I'm fat'), have three kids who are my life,
    looking to settle down, no games or hook ups. Man must be over 6' tall, athletic, earn at least 6 figures, be generous,
    willing to relocate, like to travel & stay at luxury hotels, treat me like a queen, and accept me the way I am.

And they expect the top 2% of eligible bachelors just jump right up and grab onto that.
    --- Then after awhile, they post asking, "Where are all the good men"?

I should feel ashamed of myself for laughing at them, but I can't help it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-24-2022 at 11:39 AM.

EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast