Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading learning curve

Reloading learning curve

I've been reloading for longer than I care to think about. I didn't have a mentor nearby so I had to rely on phone calls and reading whatever I could find when I was getting started. Along the way I learned a few things the hard way, but luckily I never had any significant damage to a firearm, it was primarily confined to embarrassing myself. I'm sure most of us have made mistakes along the way and thought perhaps you'd like to share your thoughts and experience. I'll start out with a couple of my earliest sources of confusion.

My first centerfire rifle was a bolt-action .308 and so was the first bottle neck cartridge I reloaded. I had bought some PPU range brass and was trying to improve the accuracy in my rifle. I'd heard about neck sizing so I decided to give that a try. I quickly discovered that I could only neck size once or my cases would stick in the chamber and extraction required a mallet on the bolt handle. I was very confused for quite some time but I finally figured out that the problem was the neck sizing. I don't know if someone had annealed the entire case instead of the neck area only or if the brass was simply unusually soft but once I quit trying to neck size more than once my problems went away. I'm much more savvy now and pay attention to things like extraction and bolt closure but for a novice reloader that problem vexed me for quite some time. I did eventually discover the accuracy issue with this rifle. Turns out the bore diameter was .002" larger at the muzzle than at the chamber. I discovered that after learning about barrel slugging.

Not long after I noticed on a .243 I have that accuracy was poor after full length sizing. If I neck sized then accuracy was very good but as with the .308 I couldn't neck size more than once. Again, after considerable head scratching and research I discovered that the problem lie with my sizing die. I was setting the die up according to the manufacturer's instructions and using the supplied shell holder but it turns out that the die was undersized and the cases were too small for the chamber for best accuracy. I learned a lot about everything from SAAMI specifications to case measuring techniques and that knowledge has served me well in the years since but again, as a relatively new reloader it was not a simple problem to identify alone.

Anyone else care to share some of your exploits?
    Last edited by Hannibal; 08-23-2022 at 02:36 PM.

I'd always wanted to reload, but at the time, I didn't shoot enough to justify it.
    In the early 80s, had Rem. 700 in .270 and finally took the plunge and got a Hornady single stage kit with all the stuff to get going.
    I read their book a few times, and got to it.
    Right out of the gate, I was getting 1" groups, and was hooked.

Except for some NATO surplus stuff, and a case of el-cheapo .223 for long term storage--
    I've never bought or shot factory ammo since.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    i started in the early '90s and i'm still learning today.

the last time i bought factory ammo was in '93 or '94 and it was the 7x57 remington 140gr sp. i bought 2 boxes (40 cartridges) for the brass. i see the prices go up on factory ammo($7.99 - $25 - 30 for a box of 30-30), but it doesn't affect me much. the prices of powder and primers are unreal.

i had a mentor and he taught me much, but i would read handloading books too.

Boolit Master
    My education came from reading, lots of reading!

No mentors around and I started at age 19, in 1975.

I got around some other handloaders later on but by then I was mostly a contemporary of theirs by then. I even taught a casual bench rester a trick or two from my loading of varmint rounds experience.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

reloading has been a heck of learning curve for me. Started reloading in the early '60s and have been learning ever since.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I started reloading at 14 years old in 1971 two gun shop owners where the most help First I started with 20 gauge (Mec 600 press) then a year later bought a RCBS Jr. press and started with 30-30 . So many years later still expanding some even swage some of my own bullets .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I started pulling on a press handle at 3-4yrs old. Or so My Dad said. By 5-6yrs I was priming .38Spl cases with a 310 tool, used a cradle Dad built so I just set it on the garage floor and sorta leaned into it. By 8yrs, I was casting round ball for Dad's 1851 Navy. Few more months and it was 9mm & .38 bullets.
    It wasn't until I got out of the Service in 1975 that I started loading/casting on My own.

I've learned a lot without Dad standing next to Me over the last 47yrs.

I still learn something almost every time I visit My favorite websites.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Red face my badge of honor

...about 2000: brand new reloading kit, no manuals, no true mentors. my only excuse is the fact that very few did, and approximately. and whoever (?)knew(?) seemed to hold atomic secrets, here.
    like in cartoons, I blew up on my first shootin'session testing my reloads, hence the nickname.
    I've been very lucky:
    revolver destroyed, no damage to me or third parties.
    the best self-taught ballistics & forensic lesson of my career.
    I then bought the kinetic hammer(!) searched in all the books and manuals I could get my hands on, not trusting anyone, especially me.
    I improved afterwards (of course: if I got worse I would be end up crippled).
    at least until today.
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 08-24-2022 at 04:54 AM. Reason: title
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    yip....forgot primers,powder everywhere,missed my place in block and put double lot of powder in case,no worries wit ha nearly full case load as it simple wont fit....... seated too deep...seted to short and wouldnt fit in magazine.... neck sizing drove me nuts with a rifle with off centre chamber,have partial length sized ever since..... Nosler #3 manual read cover to cover many times...those older manuals have a good how and WHY section....
    got given powder..wrong name..blew up rifle....
    black powder shotgun shells DONT work well in gas operated semi...... funny as heck...not funny to clean afterwards.

Started about 25 years ago. Read the Speer book. Read the Nosler book and the Lyman book. They repeated the important things so I made sure I did that.

The first few rounds through the presses taught me what it felt like. From there, I was off and running. I had a small box labelled "Trash" that I kept for ammo mistakes over the years. Most of the original errors were from not having the brass flared enough for the bullet but there are others, too. I tossed that trash box when I moved a couple of years ago.

But I remember the Lyman tumbler cleaning brass and remember trimming pistol cases to the trim-to length listed in the book. I struggled to maintain as much consistency as possible and for what it's worth, I was able to get some very good accuracy with the rounds from pistols and revolvers.

I never have loaded a lot of rifle ammo but followed the same process for learning it.

These days, I haven't been shooting much so I haven't been casting or reloading either. I'll get back to it, though.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Started in 69 with a Lee hand loading set. First lesson, lube is really necessary.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Started in 69 with a Lee hand loading set. First lesson, lube is really necessary.
    Yes. That is a lesson I learned also. Lube IS really necessary. BUT, and I probably shouldn't admit this, but I will anyway. The powder scale really SHOULD be zeroed before weighing the powder. No damage done, but those first .38 specials I reloaded were REALLY, REALLY loud.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I learned a lot about everything from SAAMI specifications to case measuring techniques and that knowledge has served me well in the years since...
    You tease and need to articulate, which techniques? This is a teaching moment. I started and continued hunting meat for three (3) years with Lee Loaders in 30-30 Winchester and 270 Winchester, then late in year two with 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Those years made me a better reloader and significantly beat factory round accuracy.

My mind "checked out" and once I unthinkingly put the wrong powder in the dispenser on top of another powder, loaded that "mix", shot a few in a Handi-rifle, and got wussy thuds on discharge (fortunately). Head scratched at the range, why? Discovered the error back home. Unloaded those rounds and set the mixed powder ablaze in a flash of smoke.

I over-annealed 500 x 223 cal. brass, drying them too hot and too fast over an open flame, unknowingly loaded some, and blew primers out of a couple of the softened case heads before realizing what I had done. That whole lot of brass was sent to scrap.

Early, early on, I had my finger on the trigger of a Win Model 94 in 30-30 cal. (with 150 grain reloads) while walking along a pond, alone (fortunately), tripped on a tree root and shot the dirt at my feet. THAT was an EYE OPENER never to be repeated and THANK GOD no one was in front of me (or even there) so I am telling on myself.

I have a drop tube for a Progressive press that bridged and failed to drop primers (no primer rounds), loaded a primer upside down (my fault), the powder dispenser bridged and loaded partial powder, several bridges loaded no powder, and I missed it ALL (except powder “leaking” from no primer in the case), until the day I was shooting those rounds, had misfires, piff loads, a stuck boolit in the barrel, and a head scratch as to WHY, which led to significant changes in my reloading technique.

“Seated too deep.” Yep. “Seated too short.” Yep. “Not flared enough.” Yep. Seated too fat. Yep. Crushed cases. Yep. Dropped powder with no case present. Yep.

“Circle gouged” the leading edge of a few (too many) 223 Bator boolits while sizing with the wrong nose profile (still got 1.25” accuracy at 100 yds.). Cut my finger seating a 104 grain, TRN, 380 ACP boolit on a chamfered case at the back side of the progressive press. Poured hot liquid wax into the sizing press when the sizing die was not secured in its seat. Leaded a few barrels.

There are probably a host of other Learning Curve issues, which I have forgotten. We all have them. My greatest lament? I wish my reloading and shooting mentor was still on this side of the sod...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I learned from reading forums, and reading manuals. No mentor. I’ve been loading and casting over ten years now. I don’t have problems anymore with either. I have read every manual I could get. Lyman 45,46,47,48,49, lyman cast 1,2,3,4, RCBS cast manual, hornady 2nd, Speer 6,8,10,15, Lee 2nd, Donnelly handbook for cartridge conversions, bear tooth bullets guide, fryxells book, jacketed performance from cast, Phil sharpes book, Mann’s book, lyman shotshell 5. Still want to get a copy of lyman 50 and 51.

I got into it mostly out of curiosity. I like to learn. I want to be self sufficient and not reliant on the store for my bullets or ammo. So, I learned casting and loading. My goals are not extreme accuracy. My goals are safe and accurate enough for my purposes ammo at lower cost. I’ve had 1 squib and 0 misfires I recall. Blown up no guns, though I’ve had a few rounds with higher recoil than expected.

It consumed me for a few years but not so much anymore. I enjoy it, but it’s not as consuming now. I’m more into outdoors stuff as a whole. Hunting, knives, fishing, than guns and reloading. Partly because of the shortage, partly because it’s cheaper for me. I’ve always been into 22s, and I have a deep enough stock I don’t fret none.

Boolit Grand Master

Like Walks said in post #7 I started at a very young age. Grandpa bought a loading set-up and a gentleman from the local gun shop came over one night and helped us get set up. I still remember some of the more important things that he said that were not in the loading books. Powder management --- one powder at a time on the table. Double check the powder in the book with the label on the can. The load in the book --- double check what you're reading. The correct cartridge, correct bullet weight, correct powder and weight. Things like that!

Every time I have added something to my reloading hobby I have had a learning curve. When I started casting, when I started loading for a tight neck chamber and got into neck turning and sizing with a bushing die, ect.

Been casting and reloading 40 years.
    I have blown up ONLY 2 guns in my days.
    Both were 9mm double charges using military cases.
    Biggest lesson learned since day 1 was PAY ATTENTION!
    Clear the Dillon 550 before trying to fix any problems.
    Everything else kind of falls into place.
    Just now starting shotshell reloading.
    Learning curve never stops.
    Got into 25-20 and 32-20 recently.
    Still learning.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 08-24-2022 at 11:24 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Watched my stepdad load .44mag back in 1992 loaded my first few rounds ten years ago, started reloading regularly 3 years ago.

So much yet to learn.

Boolit Master

I started reloading back in '67 or '68 with my buddy. We were big dove and duck hunters and were looking to reload 12 ga. Tired of paying $3.50 a box for shells. I was in college and he was a salesman in a local department store Sporting section. They dealt in all things, guns, fishing, reloading, etc. We used his discount to buy a Texan DP-II(I think). We didn't have 1 mentor, we had many. Any time we had a question, he would ask one of the old reloaders that frequented the store. There were a lot of older casters as well, so we were helped by them as well. Only thing that I have done is a couple of squib loads. Taught me to be more attentive to my work. I'm OCD about that now. As said, pay attention!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I am fortunate to have found a teenager who was taught by his dad to load .44mag.
    Kid showed me the process, he shot IPSA 9mm, he was very exacting with 9mm.
    His dad sold his 629, so I bought his bags of brass and some silly hot loads.
    (Kid said Obummer's coming, you better get a lot of primers.)(Smart Alaskan kid.)

>do not shoot other people's loads!<
    jeepers...I needed some protection from his bear protection.
    No wonder the old man sold his 629, he was gonna split it...

First project was pulling j-words, happy for primed brass.
    Second project was Ruger.com referring me to this site.

Thank you for this forum, ~3000 rounds later!
    Keith boolits fly straight!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    reloading has been a heck of learning curve for me. Started reloading in the early '60s and have been learning ever since.......
    I'm of the same vintage as Larry. Started loading about the same time only I had a mentor: my Boy Scout Rifle Team Coach, a gentleman named Harvey Lowell. I'd gotten my first center-fire, a '03 through the old DCM (as I was barely 16, my uncle did the ordering and gifted it so me) when Harv offered to teach reloading to anyone on the team. Even though milsurp was plentiful, I accepted the offer and it wasn't long before I figured out that old Springfield shot better with my handloads than with the G.I. stuff and I was hooked. Except for some timeout for college and a hitch in the military, been at it ever since.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast