Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Massad Ayoob and Bill Wilson discuss hand loading ammunition for self-defense. Critic

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I have heard this argument before. The example I was given is: You load your 44 magnum down to 44 Special velocities, then you shoot an intruder with that load. The bullet subsequently goes through a wall and injures an innocent person. The lawyers will ask why you didn't just buy factory 44 Special rounds and there really isn't any good answer for the question.

And even if criminal charges are dismissed or never prosecuted, you are still wide open for a civil suit - where the burden of proof is much less and the possibilities of a large monetary settlement are much higher. Handloads make for another variable that can go against you.
    Not true in all states. Tennessee has a law that states if a shooter is not charged with a crime they CAN NOT be sued.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    Armed Attournies had a great short video on this topic. Watch it at https://www.youtube.com/shorts/l7r4eeNPIUg It is about 2 minutes long. The two attorneys recommend it is your choice, hand load or factory. The prosecutor will try to sway the jury no matter what the origination of it is. So, it does not matter. Use whatever you feel will be safest.
    Well worth the time to watch.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

all i know is if my wife ever had to use her ccw and it failed to fire, i would rather it be with factory loads than mine, not sure if i could handle it if she were killed due to a misfire. i have only had 1 or 2 bad rounds in umpteen dozen years of loading but i am not going to take a chance
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If anyone would know anything about that ... it would be Massad Ayoob ... he earns a good part of his income as an expert witness in firearms annunition and defensive shootings , testifying in court cases all over the country . I read his articles in gun magazines every month ( The Ayoob Files especially deals with actual court cases) and he has never mentioned reloaded ammo in any court case or in any charges filed .
    But that's a good question to ask him ... being an expert witness he's been invlved in a lot of cases .
    You know ... I would tend to take the advice that Massad gives on this topic ... he might not be a lawyer ... but that might be a good thing .
    Gary
    He also earns a good part of his income as a gun writer. I do recognize his status as arguably the foremost legal expert on this subject. His ability or LACK of ability to provide actual evidence of reloads being an actual criminal or civil issue raises a couple of red flags for me.

Some people have an anti-reloading bias for any application period??? Is he one of those?? Gun writers tend to get a lot of "free" stuff. They also tend to want to influence their readers to purchase stuff from the people that are giving them "free" stuff?? "Following the money" tends to provide additional insight???

I have no idea if that is an influence or not but I do have a good friend that lives 1 1/2 miles from Mas and they shoot together a lot. Per my friend Mas never seems to be short factory ammo??? Just food for thought.

Historically the lack of actual cases where reloads was an issue indicates this is much ado about nothing. Could it become an issue? Anything is possible. It's possible that I could be attacked by a werewolf? since no one has proven that werewolf's do not exist? Until someone proves that werewolves exist, I will not be carrying silver bullets.

Same for reloads being an issue for SD. Until there is/are actual court cases that has resulted in a reload influencing the outcome I treat this as a non-issue.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-27-2022 at 01:18 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I think Ayoob was trying to get to a good point but the myth took over. His point, i think, is that a prosecutor will try and use anything for a conviction so giving that person as little as possible is a good idea. Handloaded ammo is just one more thing he/she could bring up and as we all know most people cant tell an AK from an AR so will believe most anything told to them.
    We just watched Kyle Rittenhouse get pulled through the wringer by a publicity hound DA. Imagine if Rittenhouse had handloaded his ammo?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Imagine if Rittenhouse had handloaded his ammo?
    I imagine he would have used the same defense he did. "It was the cheapest ammo available"

Some more interesting discussion here.

https://www.msgo.com/threads/reloadi...munition.7159/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-27-2022 at 10:40 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

I can't remember the first time I read the debate about using handloads in a self defense situation. And, I can't find one single instance where in doing so sent someone to prison if it was a justified shooting. Self defense is self defense.

Massad Ayoob is a man I'd want on my side if I were ever involved in a shooting and needed expert testimony, no doubt. On the other hand, I'd bet the article Ayoob wrote years ago about the use of handloads for self defense, was one he wished he hadn't. He's probably been asked about it more times than he cares to talk about.

Murphy
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-30-2022 at 08:21 PM.
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Now he says OK to talk to police. And don't take a gun to answer the door at 3am. Your loads vs factory? Silly as 'why did you use 45 when 22 would work?'.
    Whatever!

...a good shoot is a good shoot....end of story.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    ...a good shoot is a good shoot....end of story.
    No such thing as a good shoot.

Lots of necessary shoots, and there are a bunch of people that need to be sent to meet Jesus, but no good shoots.

You own every bullet and if you are not thinking about the repercussions in terms of both civil and criminal lawfare, you need to rethink.

The communists and leftist (yes, redundant) prosecutors hate you for daring to be free and defend yourself.

Hence, the prosecutions of George Zimmerman and Kyle Rittenhouse and the cop involved with George Floyd.

Ignore that history at your own peril.

Not I.
    CARPE DIEM!.......

"Why were you carrying super deadly home made ammunition?"
    "Have you looked at an ammo shelf at a gun shop lately? The good stuff is gone, man."
    "You made super deadly, midnight express killer rounds, designed to be the most lethal you could dream up in your sweat soaked basement murder hole!"
    "First, let me congratulate you on that expressiveness. Second, the recipe I use is a commercially available one with common unaltered components, examples of every part which have been taken into evidence along with my load book, which shows that I do not load to max, simply within known expansion range and maximum accuracy."
    "You will lose the civil suit!"
    "Counselor, this is Arizona - if I am determined to be justified, there is NO civil suit allowed, per Constitutional amendment and Arizona Revised Statues. Now, I am off to have a beer, have a nice day"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    "Why were you carrying super deadly home made ammunition?"
    "Have you looked at an ammo shelf at a gun shop lately? The good stuff is gone, man."
    Or this: "Have you read the warnings on that store-bought ammo? That stuff is dangerous!"
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

One thing to remember is that these are professional writers that write stuff with the hope of getting published. Magazines want writers that can generate a fallowing. One way is to start a controversy about something and take the side that won't get you or the publisher sued.

When a writer or magazine recommends something you can bet it's been reviewed for any liability. Their not going to get in trouble for recommending a quality factory ammunition .

That said I agree with the arguments for factory ammo in CCP gun.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

It matters zero wether you use factory or reloads in a self-defence scenario.

If you kill your assailant, the prosecutor will do everything they can to convict you of murder.

If anyone is wounded as a result, that means an initial charge of attempted murder, plus everything else available in the book.

Prosecutors are rated by their conviction rate, not by their sensible application of justice.

Your defence attorney is not going to overturn any charges on the basis that the ammo used was factory. Read that till you understand.

Boolit Master
    much ado about nothing...
    The premise of Michael Crichton's novel STATE OF FEAR was that people need, and love, to be afraid of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    much ado about nothing...
    The premise of Michael Crichton's novel STATE OF FEAR was that people need, and love, to be afraid of something.
    The most salient comment I've read anywhere on line in a VERY long time.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345