Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frito Pie

Never heard Corpus Christi Chili…..My ancestors from Louisiana makes me love chili over my rice, here in Tx! Interesting….

I usually make a pot of chili with deer burger a couple times a year. This year I will try the deer burger chili in a frito pie. You guys are making me hungry.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    Never had corn in Frito pie, and never will.
    Might as well put brussel sprouts in it. LOL
    I disagree but this is funny.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Caldillo is beef stew…..Caldo is soup.

Sounds good gwpercle!
    Thanks for definition . The Caldillo meat sold in the stores is a very fine cube ... I don't know if I could cut / cube a piece of beef that fine with a knife ... the fine cubes are perfect for making Chili .

The recipe for Frito Pie Casserol I posted was meant to be easy and cheap eats for colloge guys living away from home ... and not very into cooking at that time ... lunch, at times , would consist of a Quart of Beer and a bag of Doritos !

If you don't like corn ... leave it out . It was probably the only vegetables we ate .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

When I make chili I cube the meat in pieces the size of my little fingernail, about 1/4 inch dice... it is NOT perfect little cubes... it gets rough chopped with a very sharp knife. Some ends up smaller, some a little bigger...

And chili made form hand chopped meat tastes different that ground meat chili. Don't know why but it does... less blood maybe?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    When I make chili I cube the meat in pieces the size of my little fingernail, about 1/4 inch dice... it is NOT perfect little cubes... it gets rough chopped with a very sharp knife. Some ends up smaller, some a little bigger...

And chili made form hand chopped meat tastes different that ground meat chili. Don't know why but it does... less blood maybe?
    100%, I only use chopped. I prefer the texture as well.

Maybe because being bigger, you your taste buds have more to 'grab onto'
    rather than the flavor and texture sort of getting lost in the liquid part of it.

I don't chop mine, but sometimes when I've got the grinder out, I'll use the outer disc with
    a few real big triangle looking holes in it. It chops meat up about the size you describe.

Here, we call that the 'chili grind' to separate it from the common size bits ground meat comes with
    in the package and looks like big red spagetii.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I prefer that too. Also, if I'm making burritos, that's my preference.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

I had never had the finely cubed meat ( for Caldillo) before ... but now that I have , in chili and sloppy Joe sandwich ... I agree , the taste and texture is much preferred to ground beef .
    The stuff they sell in our store is a fine 1/8th" cube ... I would be hard pressed to cube meat that finely ... look for it in store and try it for chili ... it does taste better.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Williams chili mix as a starter and add garlic, onions and habanero or ghost chili powder plus a bit other stuff. I like it hot!! Bag it/freeze it, and let it age about 6 months at least, before I use it. Usually make 10 lbs at a time. Makes a great Frito pie. I have used Wolf chili, no beans, and doctor it up a bit. Its OK for a quick substitute

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123