Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frito Pie

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    There should be my Frito Pie recipe in our cookbook section ... I didn't know how to find it ...
    but it will feed four people and is made in a 8" x 8" pan with two cans chili and big bag of fritoes and a few other ingredients ... it's not super quick .

Some one should put this Small Frito Pie (made in the small bag of Frito's ) recipe in the "Recipes for One " thread ... I mean how much better of a recipe for one can you get ... My head has always been geared to cooking for many ... I don't have much to offer when it comes to cooking for one or two .
    Gary
    Just went thru there and I don't have it so please post it here for all to see and I will add it to the cookbook! I sometimes miss recipes or am to busy to get them moved to the sticky.

When I was little, the neighbor would send over a tortilla casserole which in our family was known as Betty's Goop. As kids, we didn't like Betty's Goop, probably because Betty used chopped black olives in her recipe. Betty had a fat dog named Penny. We came up with a rhyme to describe the dish: "Betty's Goop is Penny's Poop". Repeated chants at dinner didn't make it any better.

I had never heard of frito pie until I read about it here. I love a good bowl of chili, so I figured Iwould give it a try. I am now a believer. Here is the recipe that I used.http://https://www.spendwithpennies.com/frito-pie/
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Frito Pie is a mainstay in New Mexico. They serve it up at restaurants all the time. There's no real "official recipe" except to say that you start with a base of Fritos. Scoops or Regular, either way.

Usually, you're just tossing together what you have on hand. Heat up a can of refried beans and put on top with some grated cheese and you're good to go. Add some red or green chile and kick yourself in the head with it.

Great stuff. Comfort food. One of the best ways is to simply add some cowboy beans to the top of the chips and some green chile and grated cheddar. MmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmm!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    My nephew’s son is a big game guide in New Mexico. A few years back my sons and I were out there hunting pronghorns with him. He said a couple of guys from Australia had just been hunting with him. When he asked them about their favorite food during their stay, they both said “Frito pie”.

Boolit Master

Was thinking of this thread last night after working out my Jeep's new transmission on a 50 mile Hill Country tour. I stock Fritos, or the HEB house brand, which are a little better, and Wolf Brand Hot chili. Mixed some dried onion flakes into the chili and nuked it, poured it over the chips and had a fine, satisfying Fall dinner. Even though I'm a born Texan, I had forgotten about frito pie until reminded here. It's now a staple for a quick meal.

Boolit Grand Master

Frito Pie - Casserole / feeds 4 to 6 people .

Ingredients :

8 1/2" X 8 1/2" X 2" deep Pyrex (glass) dish
    Frito's - regular or scoops , large bag
    1- 14.5 oz. can Whole Kernel Corn
    1 - medium Onion -chopped
    1 - 4 oz. can Fire Roasted Green Chili's
    1 - 4 oz. can sliced Black Olives ( Green Olives may be used )
    4 Tablespoon - sliced pickled jalapeno or Gypsey Peppers
    Pace Picante Sauce ... or your favorite brand
    2 - 15 oz. cans Chili - your favorite brand w/wo beans as you like it .
    1 - 1 lb. Block Velveeta - chilled in refg. 24 - 8 hours (slices better when very cold)
    I use a cheese slicer to slice the cold velveeta , if it warms and starts to stick , pop it in freezer for a few mins. to chill and harden .
    You can use real cheese but we just like it made with old school velveeta .

Directions :

Spray Pyrex dish with Pam to make clean-up easier - optional
    Spread a thin layer of Frito's in dish ... about half a regular size bag (not the Family size)
    Spread evenly over chips :
    1/2 can Whole Kernel Corn
    1/2 chopped Onion
    1/2 can Green Chili's
    1/2 can sliced Black Olives (green Olives may be substituted)
    2 Tablespoons Pickeled or Jalapeno's or Gypsey Peppers
    Drizzle on Picante Sauce to taste
    1- can Chili - spread evenly all over
    Top chili with a layer of sliced Velveeta cheese - 1/2 the block

Now ... Repeat the layers , start with Frito's on the Velveeta ...
    and ending with a layer of chili and then a Velveeta layer last .
    The dish will be full so layer carefully and tuck in sides .
    Don't use too thick a layer of Frito's ...the dish will get too full ...
    The large (not Family size) should be just enough for two layers - the bag size was made smaller recently .

You can heat in a 350 F. oven , uncovered , until top is bubbly and melted ...
    My wife heats it in the micro-wave - 80% Power for 14 min. then check center , she usually heats it another couple mins.
    I like oven heating .
    When hot let stand 5 mins.

Note - You can use homemade chili if you wish , this recipe was from my college cook from a can , 4 single guys living in one house and was used when Newly married , new wife , baby and earned $75.00 a week Days ... it was cheap and we were poor ... we still enjoy it with canned chili and Velveeta cheese .

I had lost track of this thread .
    MaryB , please do your magic and move to our "Cookbook"
    Thanks
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-28-2022 at 06:04 PM. Reason: micro wave @80% power for 14 minutes and check
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Real homemade chili is so easy to make...

Chop up a chuck roast, you want pieces the size of your little fingernail. Can cheat and run thru a grinder on a extra coarse plate if you must. Need about 3 pounds of meat
    Chopped extra large onion(or 2 medium...)onion
    Mild chili powder to taste I do 1/4 cup per pound of meat...
    Hot chili powder
    Beef base like Better than Bouillon(or those salty cubes of you must) to taste. This adds a lot of salt so go easy!
    Beer/water

Brown the cubed meat in bacon fat in small batches, do not crowd the pan or you just steam the meat.

When the meat is all browned add your chopped onion and cook until it is clear, then add your mild chili powder and cook until fragrant. This isa crucial step! Sauteing the chili powder releases the oils and adds a deeper flavor to the dish.

Add beer/water to just cover the meat, and the beef base to taste(literally taste as you go! Stop before the dish has enough salt, you will be reducing the liquid some), bring to a simmer and cook until the meat is almost tender. This is when I add the hot chili powder. You want to just barely cook it so the flavor is a lot brighter than the chili powder that simmered an hour or so.

Thicken with masa flour if you want a thick chili. This WILL change the flavor! Adds sweetness and a hint of corn taste. But you get thick chili a spoon will stand up in!
    Use similar in deer camp, big stock put full, about 8 lbs of meat, some chili beans, corn meal for thickener, to help fill the boys up, very similar recipe, on wood stove all day and night, feeds about 8 for two dinners and ???? The Frito pie, was a stand by with the Boy Scouts, at winter camping? Well camping in general, any time of year.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The quick version of that we used to get at the 'slop chute' in the Service was a small bag of Fritos,
    it was spilt open on the side edge, and a big spoon full of chili dumped on it.
    On close examination-- It looks rather disgusting. But I really liked it.

I make a version of it the kids called 'Mexican Lasagna':

You layer it up like regular Lasagna, but its made with either Wolf or Hormel Chili-- no beans.
    Not the East coast home made chili that is really spaghetti sauce with an extra 3" of water on top
    and a few cut up hot dogs floating around in it.

The layers are chili, crushed Fritos, chopped onion, shredded sharp cedar cheese,
    corn tortillas, chili, Fritos, onions, cheese, and so on.
    Then a thick layer of shredded cedar cheese on top.
    It should fill a casserole dish all the way to the top.
    Cover with foil, bake at 350 about 45 minutes, uncover and bake until the cheese browns.

I could live on it.

There's also a reason they call it Frito pie and not tortilla chip pie.
    They don't interchange any better than Crisco does as a straight up substitute for butter.
    For decent home made chili, the grocery store kits from Wick Fowler or Carrol Shelby are pretty good.
    A guy from Texas talking about canned chili and kits from the grocery store? We are truly in the end times.

Edit: all sorts of Texans using canned chili. What is happening to the world!?!?
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-28-2022 at 01:47 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Wife and me are down on the ranch getting ready for the Texas opener. We were talking over a beer last night and I said, “Man, I’m looking forward to it getting cold for the rut and FRITO PIES! In Texas, you eat them poured inside the frito bag with chili, queso, onions, and jalapeños. We both served in the football booster club and got our fill during those cold nights. Good Stuff to warm the soul! It’s gotta be cold outside!

Canned? Nope. Just don't do it!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Moderator Emeritus

I keep some Wolf canned chili on hand in case I run out of my homemade(and I need to make a batch, finally getting cold enough for that!). Acceptable chili...

Boolit Grand Master

I have discovered something I like to make Chili with better than ordinary ground meat or Chili ground meat . At Wally Mart it is labeled "Beef Fine Cubes for Caldillo " (beef fine cubes)
    And at H-E-B Stores it reads "Beef Fine Diced Caldillo Cubes , USDA select "

Now being Cajun I have no idea what Caldillo is ... but the finely cubed meat has a nice texture and flavor in Chili and in a restaurant in Florida they use it to make Sloppy Joe sandwiches that are realy good . I tried it in the last few batches of Chili I made and we realy prefer this meat to regular ground or chili ground meat .
    I guess one day I need to search Caldillo recipe and see what exactly that is .
    I think Cabrito is goat ...but don't know what Caldillo is about .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Caldillo is beef stew…..Caldo is soup.

Sounds good gwpercle!

Never had corn in Frito pie, and never will.
    Might as well put brussel sprouts in it. LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    I have eaten frito pie, and like it.
    I was born and raised in Louisiana. All meals must have rice in them.
    Chili over rice is great.
    In chili literature, texas style chili (no beans) over rice is called "corpus christi style chili".

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    A guy from Texas talking about canned chili and kits from the grocery store? We are truly in the end times.
    Edit: all sorts of Texans using canned chili. What is happening to the world!?!?
    I keep a can or two of Wolf's on hand and sort of recommend it, there's a lot of what I call 'spice wimps' out there.
    I do make chili for myself, but I'm surrounded by spice wimps-- hardly anybody else will take a second bite of mine.
    I get the kit/box thing of Carrol Shelby's or Wick Fowler's 2 alarm,
    and add a couple more table spoons of cayenne to it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! Canned chili is better than being hungry. However, with Texan's legendary love for and strong opinions about chili, I’m just a bit surprised so many publicly admit to using it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Had an Aunt living in El Paso who taught us to make a frito cassorole with a can of chili, Frito's and Tamales with onions and cheese. Good Stuff!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Many years ago Frito Lay had a commercial on how to make it. At the time they were trying to boost sales of a relatively new product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast