Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A unique old pistol, and trouble with .380 acp.

Boolit Master

A unique old pistol, and trouble with .380 acp.

I picked up this interesting pistol this weekend at the gun show. It is a CZ 38 made for the German military during WW2 while they were occupying the country. Very cool hinged barrel design. At $350 incuding the original military holster, I couldnt say no. Amazingly this is my first .380 pistol. I have dies and components as I load it for my father. I'm loading 95 gr (?) Lee RN powder coated, sized to .356, over TG. They will not chamber without extra effort. They will chamber under full power of the recoil spring, but then a good bit of force is needed to extract the live round.

I have adjusted COAL, and taper crimp to no help. As a quality control I dug out a vintage 1940's box of factory .380, and she ran those 100% Any ideas what I'm missing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220820_111312.jpg  

Might be that the cast bullet is larger than jacketed in dia, bringing the mouth of loaded cartridge up to chamber dimension.
    You should be able to slug/cast the chamber to find out.

Not familiar with that action, but if ya can, do a plunk test with finished round. Always the first step. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Banned

Check how it works with factory loads. Check the chamber for a piece of brass left in place. Happened to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try a taper crimp to "tweak" it into shape. Just the slightest adjustment will make all the difference.

Boolit Master
    May need to have the barrel throated to seat out your .356 boolits where you want them. Dougguy did that for my SR1911
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

I've had issues like that in the past.
    A taper crimp fixed them for me.

If you can feel sort of an edge on the top of a loaded case mouth, that could very well be the problem.
    A taper crimp irons that out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banner Sponsor

First off, Very Cool old pistol

A close up picture of your loaded round may help.
    First thing I would check would be to see if there is any of the powder coat and or bullet that might be getting scraped off the side and build up in front of the case mouth.
    If this is the case, flare the mouth a little more before seating the bullet.
    You might also try seating and crimping in different steps.

Another option would be to try just a empty sized case and see if it drops into the chamber. If not then make sure the sizing die is turned down all the way, or try another brand of sizing die.

Make sure you are using 380 dies and not 9mm dies. The 380 is just slightly smaller than 9mm.

Make a dummy round and see where in the loading process it stops chambering.
    sized case
    seat a bullet with a partial taper crimp, see if it chambers, if not, maybe try seating a little bit deeper...
    Once you get your seating depth, then adjust the taper crimp to just pinch the bullet allowing the round the fall into the chamber freely, but not too much of a crimp so it misses the step on the chamber.

Maybe measure your factory ammo at the base and mouth, compare to your handloaded round...

congrats on the great find!
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Boolit Grand Master

I think I would first disassemble the gun and give it an extra thorough cleaning. Next I'd do a chamber cast (supposed to be a 9x17 but made under wartime conditions?) and compare to modern SAAMI and/or CIP standards.. And whenever there is a "fit" problem, measure. Measure, in several places, the cartridge that fails an easy plunk test (diameters, lengths, etc.). These steps will probably show you where the problem lies...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I don't have that pistol but my 1934 Beretta needed a slight taper crimp to function properly with cast.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    I had a similar issue with .45 acp. The particular bullet nose was the slightest bit fatter just above the crimp, and they wouldn't cycle. I seated them a fraction more and they worked great. If that's the issue here, a plunk test will confirm. Best of luck.

Boolit Master
    A friend had a 9mm Kurtz Mauser HSc that would feed and fire factory ammo very reliably and accurately, but would not work at all with reloads, even with the proper jacketed bullets. This was back before the days of taper or factory crimp dies.

Held very nicely, good trigger pull, attractive sight picture, and nice looking. He couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the functioning with reloads so he sold the gun, the shells and the loading dies.

Are you sure your boolits are .356 after coating and sizing? Measure with a micrometer.
    Standard bullets for 9mm and 380 are .355, possibly your boolits are too big FOR THAT GUN.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I'm loading 95 gr (?) Lee RN powder coated, sized to .356, over TG. They will not chamber without extra effort. They will chamber under full power of the recoil spring, but then a good bit of force is needed to extract the live round.
    I have adjusted COAL, and taper crimp to no help. As a quality control I dug out a vintage 1940's box of factory .380, and she ran those 100% Any ideas what I'm missing?
    a black felt tip used to color your reloaded ammo will mercilessly reveal all contact points in the chamber, including unwanted ones
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master

To some of the points. The pistol is remarkably clean inside and out. I cleaned the bore anyway it is was clean. My bullets are sized after powder coating at .356. Am I to gather most of you would suggest a factory taper crimp die? How does this differ from the roll crimp available from the seating die?

Maybe the extra taper crimp would solve my problems?
    Last edited by Hanzy4200; 08-22-2022 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Am I to gather most of you would suggest a factory taper crimp die? How does this differ from the roll crimp available from the seating die? Maybe the extra taper crimp would solve my problems?
    rolling the brass mouth inside, an RC will create an imperceptible bulge at the point of application on the brass.
    a TC will tend to taper the body of the brass more evenly around your boolit.
    also, if I'm not mistaken, the .380 should adjust the headspace at the mouth of the brass, therefore a case evenly trimmed to specs. and a following taper crimp by a finely adjusted die seem appropriate.
    ...but a .380 three-dies set, with or without factory taper crimp 4th. die, should taper crimp anyway thank to his seater die by his own design...in lesser words: 380acp.=taper yes, roll no-no_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 08-22-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Start by measuring the outside diameter of a loaded cartridge with a micrometer (not caliper) and compare it with SAAMI specs for the .380.

Not ammo related, but do some research on firing pin troubles with that model. I seem to remember Massad Ayoob writing about some such.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

A 223 FL die can be used as a taper crimp die for the 380 ACP. If you have one remove the decap assembly and adjust the die to the tapered crimp needed.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast