Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70gr FFg Fills A .45-70 Case; Too Much Compression?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've loaded many a Winchester, Federal and Remington 45-70 cases with 70 gr of GOEX FFg, FFFg and Cartridge BP to replicate the M1873 and M1882 service loads. I don't use a drop tube, just throw the charge with a Lyman 55, Then a compression die (Lee expander die body with a flat faced plug) is used to compress the powder to the seating depth of of the bullet.

Yes, the powder is compressed into a solid mass as was the BP in the original service loads. The original 45-70 service rounds were not "balloon heads" but were inside primed with a Benet inside primer. Their capacity is very similar to Winchester cases. With such loads a strong magnum level primer is best to use. For complete information refer to Wolf Spence's book on replicating service 45-70 loads or my posts in;

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-and-Equipment
    That is a very good book to read and really got me started with the Trapdoor rifle. And about the only place I have seen that explains how to use the Buffington sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    With the right tools it is no problem to duplicate the original trapdoor load using 70 gr 2f Swiss and the Lee 458-405-HB. A drop tube and compression die will set the powder height right where it needs to be. And no, the trapdoor does not have a throat at all, just a bevel on the start of the rifling just like the SAAMI 45-70 chamber does.

My normal 45-70 paper patch loads use 81 grains of 1.5F and that fits in Starline cases with .100" to spare by using a drop tube.
    Maybe I need to try my drop tube again and try it with some Swiss powder. What was the overall length of those boolits?
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 08-25-2022 at 02:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    try poking the BP in through your funnel with a thin solid plastic rod...just keep poking it around and IT WILL FIT...if I can get 65grns of my non compressed homemade stuff...surely manufactured stuff will fit easier.

In fire formed Starline .45-70 brass I can 31" drop fill to the rim with 82 grains of Swiss 1-1/2F, push in a .060" LDPE wad, compress to .1", taper crimp in the PPB.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJD View Post
    In fire formed Starline .45-70 brass I can 31" drop fill to the rim with 82 grains of Swiss 1-1/2F, push in a .060" LDPE wad, compress to .1", taper crimp in the PPB.
    I do it too with O E 1 1/2 no problem ,he taught me ! /Ed

Boolit Mold
    My match load is 83 gr Swiss 1.5 under a paper patch bullet. Slow poured through a 30" drop tube leaves enough room to seat a .060 ldpe wad then compress .080.
    Fits easy and shoots well!
    Todd

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Old balloon-head cases held 70 grains. Modern solid-head cases hold 55 grains, the carbine load.
    I would have to disagree. The balloon head alters capacity by 3-4 grains max., easily overcome by use of a drop tube and compression die.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Master
    I’ve had no issue getting 70 grains in a Winchester case loading as in Spencer’s book with either a 405 HB or 500 grain bullet. My 1873 trapdoor does have better accuracy with 60 to 65 grains of 2f.

There will be an interior volume difference between new, sized brass and fire formed brass, as well as different brand brass.

New brass gets annealed and loaded as is in order to fire form. Fire formed brass is for load development and matches, and it will take a larger charge of powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind the original Government 45-70 load using 70 gr of "musket powder" was not loaded into balloon head cases. They were folde copper, then brass cases with an inside Benet' primer. The 70 gr charge was heavily compressed into a solid piece. Burns much more efficiently that way. Winchester cases have very close to the same internal capacity as the Benet' primed original 45-70 cases.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Keep in mind the original Government 45-70 load using 70 gr of "musket powder" was not loaded into balloon head cases. They were folde copper, then brass cases with an inside Benet' primer. The 70 gr charge was heavily compressed into a solid piece. Burns much more efficiently that way. Winchester cases have very close to the same internal capacity as the Benet' primed original 45-70 cases.
    That is an often overlook part of the equation. I have a fired one of those in my collection but it is in rough shape. It was found at Fort Snelling in St. Paul during some cable trenching.

The question that I have is with that much compression how is the burn rate effected since the powder is being crushed? I only dabble at BPCR but over compression has not been good for me in respect to accuracy.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I load a few just for the novelty of them. Not enough to get properly set up though.
    I dump the charge through a regular powder funnel, then hold it onto the case mouth with one hand and thump it 5-6 times.
    It settles on down into my RP brass.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    There is no for me to jam 70g of Goex 2f into a modern commercial case and achieve a needed seating depth of the typical 405 rnfp bullet . Ive tried a drop tube ive tried vibratory methods to help powder settling and bottom line in my experiences i can get about 65gr max and thats using a LOT of compression force .
    Last edited by Road_Clam; 10-14-2022 at 12:01 PM.

I just loaded some 45-70 yesterday. Easily able to get 68 grains in the case using 1997 vintage Goex 2FF and a 24" drop tube. Put a .030 wad on top then used the bullet to compress the load 1 band's worth to get it to the crimp groove. Really very little compression and no bullet deformation. Bullet was cast from 20-1. We'll see how they shoot today.

yrs back black powder was measured by volume rather than weight,,has that changed ??
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The only change is the internet myth about blackpowder being measured in volume... Read the old books, it's always been in grains or drams..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Don you said a mouthful there old friend. A lot of Bad info in this thread. Some from folks that can’t make BP Shoot accurately. Yet pontificate like some world class marksman.

KW

For cartridge guns, BP is always weighed ... for traditional muzzleloaders, BP is (almost) always volume charged. YMMV, but it shouldn't.
    Last edited by FrankJD; 11-04-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have little knowledge of this subject but if I may I'd like to ask a question... if the powder is compressed to a near solid lump, what difference does granulation make? Why would FFg be preferrable to FFFg?

As Larry points out in post #30 the powder was compressed to a solid piece. I have to think that FFg granules are crushed in that process.

Please enlighten me!

Thanks,
    Longbow

Let the gun decide the compression to employ. You may find out that ya don't need to make solid cakes of BP in the brass. That's what load development is all about. Coarser powder introduces a tad more air into the mix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast