Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lee Loadmaster defeated me

Thumbs down The Lee Loadmaster defeated me

I'm broken. And this is where if you guys want to, you say "I told you so". Blue vs Red and IMO right now Blue must be winning because Red sure ain't!

Now I guess if there is any silver lining it is that, this is my first day of progressive reloading. But I've so far wasted a decent bit of brass, powder, and a whole lot of time! Where to begin...I've never come across a priming system that gave so many problems. Probably came across 5-10 sideways primers which lock up the whole system and require you to remove the shell plate, priming system, and remove the primer. I believe at some points I had the shell plate too tight which caused powder spill because of having to give more force to progress the handle/system. I was shooting for 3.9gr of Titegroup for 9mm 115gr and weighed some after a knock or two and it was down to 3.5gr. This caused me to second guess most if not all of what I had loaded and unless I can verify, I will not use the loads.

I thought maybe I could load a test (labeled it test twice on the case) with a primer and only a 115gr, weigh it, zero it out, and this give me a baseline for weighing my cases to see what they had in them. But I believe the inconsistencies with brass weight and what not didn't allow for that. Some were only 1.5gr over the zero which I know isn't possible. Big ol disappointment all the way around today...I did get to order some Southern Shine Media today though. Excited to use that!

Man...Just not good stuff. At this point I'm stepping back and getting a game plan. Really thinking about priming off the press at this point...

Boolit Master

Southern Shine Media is a sure winner.

I've been using it for years and am a very happy customer.

cuts the cleaning time in half
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

At one time I had four Pro 1000s set up for different calibers. As long as I primed off press, they ran fine. Not trying to beat you up or say I told you so, so please don't take it that way but, that is what all of us Lee users were trying to tell you. I had no issues with anything else on the 1000s. If Lee would come up with a reliable priming system they would be hard to beat especially at their price point. I am a late convert to blue. When I retired a couple of years ago, I started shooting quite a bit more and found that I needed an upgrade on my equipment. [COLOR="#4B0082"]The money not spent on valium and zanax easily off set the cost of the 650. [COLOR="#4B0082"] I think if you just try priming a few off press and run them, you will find the press does everything else pretty well.

Boolit Master

Always primed off the press, Lee 1000's are a bear in that regard. If you want to prime on the press, Dillon 550C works just fine.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    For monitoring the powder delivered to each case, the RCBS powder lockout die may help you with your pistol reloading.
    Here are a couple of links for you,
    https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-progressives/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_EnGSeVtoc

After priming the brass off the press, move the powder drop to the first station, and the powder lockout die to the second station.
    Last edited by Bird; 08-21-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    For monitoring the powder delivered to each case, the RCBS powder lockout die may help you with your pistol reloading.
    Here are a couple of links for you,
    https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-progressives/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_EnGSeVtoc

After priming the brass off the press, move the powder drop to the first station, and the powder lockout die to the second station.
    This will be a for sure thing.

Is this possible for .223 by chance? Doubtful since it's such a small hole but would be nice.

Really and truthfully, if I don't prime on the bench that will open up a lot of options! So maybe it's a good thing.

Boolit Master

Yes, you should be able to get a powder check die that works on .223. The Dillon powder check has the different size plungers that drop into the case mouth and I know for a fact it works on .223.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don’t give up yet. There are plenty of folks using Load Masters so someone will help you sort it out.

It may never be a Dillon but it should operate decently.

If you cannot sort it out after a month, get rid of it. Using a progressive that will only allow cases to get charged with powder, seat bullets and crimp is not going to save you much time. And that was why you bought it.

I have been down that road and I know what you feeling.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Don’t give up yet. There are plenty of folks using Load Masters so someone will help you sort it out.

It may never be a Dillon but it should operate decently.

If you cannot sort it out after a month, get rid of it. Using a progressive that will only allow cases to get charged with powder, seat bullets and crimp is not going to save you much time. And that was why you bought it.

I have been down that road and I know what you feeling.
    Don,

You have great points! I foresee this press sticking around until about this time next year. I think I will be ready for Blue by then. But I will get my money's worth out of this!

I plan to watch this fully and try his tactics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0LP77_r3I&t=606s

It's definitely a learning curve- with any of them.

As far as 'unloading' goes- I'd highly recommend just pulling the boolits and not trust what the loaded cases weigh.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It's definitely a learning curve- with any of them.

As far as 'unloading' goes- I'd highly recommend just pulling the boolits and not trust what the loaded cases weigh.
    Ed what bullet puller to you use? I got the blue Frankford I think plastic one from Academy and it's less than fun to use.

So thinking out loud here, it is a 5 station press and if I do decide to prime off the press.

Station 1) Full length sizer die
    Station 2) Expander/Powder charge die
    Station 3) Powder lockout die
    Station 4) Bullet seating die
    Station 5) Factory Crimp die

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Ed what bullet puller to you use?
    Those plastic hammer looking impact pullers I think are all pretty much the same.
    At least they look like they're all made by the same company.,
    but are just a different color for whoever sells them. I have green RCBS one.

You might could say, "It's fun, and it's real, but it ain't real fun to use".

The little Alum. holder things go straight into the Alum. recycle bucket.
    Instead, I use the shell holder from a single stage press.
    A trick with them is to hit them on something real solid like the end of a vise, or a concrete floor.
    Banging them on a wooden table doesn't work nearly as well.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Those plastic hammer looking impact pullers I think are all pretty much the same,
    but just a different color for whoever sells them. I have green RCBS one.

The little Alum. holder things go straight into the Alum. recycle bucket.
    Instead, I use the shell holder from a single stage press.
    A trick with them is to hit them on something real solid like the end of a vise, or a concrete floor.
    Banging them on a wooden table doesn't work nearly as well.
    +1 on using a shell holder. Striking them against a lead ingot has worked well for me.

Boolit Master
    Concrete and steel damage the tool. I use a solid block of oak to back stop my impact puller.

As far as the Loadmaster goes, I would hang in there. There are a lot of people running that press here on Boolits, they will help you.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    So thinking out loud here, it is a 5 station press and if I do decide to prime off the press.

Station 1) Full length sizer die
    Station 2) Expander/Powder charge die
    Station 3) Powder lockout die
    Station 4) Bullet seating die
    Station 5) Factory Crimp die
    Yes, the 5 station press will work nicely set up that way. I use a 3 station pro100, but do not use the factory crimp die.
    I think the lockout die does not work with the 223 or rifle cartridges, as they are too long. The die is intended for 9mm and up pistol cartridges. If you need more info call RCBS, you will find them very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Concrete and steel damage the tool.
    I can vouch for that.
    Mine was pretty beat up after I sat in the driveway and unloaded about 400 .45ACPs I got from a questionable source one time.
    The screw on collar finally died of old age, and split so I had to get a new one a few years ago.
    I'm taking a little better care of it.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy

I plan to watch this fully and try his tactics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0LP77_r3I&t=606s
    Good content in that video. One thing he doesn’t mention in the video, but is doing, is to ensure the Loadmaster is mounted so there is NO movement of the press as it is being operated. That is what seemed to solve the priming problems with my press. Also, using the latest version of the priming system—LEE has made several updates over the years.

Don’t give up!

if we mean the thread of the screw cap, I suspect it would have yielded anyway even if the hammer had been used on wooden block only. I know it.
    I then bought a F.A., of which I use the blue screw cap on the green RCBS that served me for 20 years, and I like better.
    On the F.A. I fixed with a hose clamp a plastic cap (drilled in correspondence with the primer hole) usually used on furniture legs, and I keep it as a back-up tool, because certain things happen to me systematically at night. including silly jobs. I know it
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast