RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 45 New Vaquero

Boolit Man

45 New Vaquero

Didn’t really know where else to put this. Please move if necessary, thank you.

I’m posting this on two forums because I’ve learned so much from the members on both that I want to recognize those that have helped me and to give back, either through amusement from the “old hats” or maybe someone new can learn from this. Apparently there is some lost blood between members on the two sites, but I don’t really give a crap. I’d like to expand a little bit on my project and my journey through learning a single action pistol. I’ve shot long guns and shotguns my whole life and can hold my own against anyone I know, but this has been a bit different for me. I turned 44 this week. I’ve shot pistols off and on as well, but only got serious about hunting with them a couple years ago. I had a good local smith tune up a 7.5” Ruger Bisley for me that I shoot pretty well, but I got it in my mind to build a fixed sight, smaller framed gun in the same 45 Colt caliber that shot and handled a bit better. I also wanted to do as much of the work as I could myself…..

The first step for me was over coming a mental hurdle. I decided that, if I messed something up, I’d either pay for more parts, or pay someone to fix it if I couldn’t. Knowing what I know now, I may approach it a bit differently, but isn’t that how life goes?

I bought a Super Blackhawk hammer from Midway and had it delivered straight to Doug Guy. I also sent him my cylinder, and he opened up the throats to .4525 and polished up the sear engagement on the hammer. I put in a slightly reduced hammer spring and trigger return spring.

The fire lapping process to remove the thread choke was arduous to say the least. Fermin Garza was instrumental to this. I probably would have given up without his input, and looking back I don’t think I (a) didn’t use the right compound to begin with and (b) didn’t roll it hard enough into the bullets and (c) didn’t use soft enough bullets. But I got there. I essentially ended up with a 1.5” free bore in this gun, but it worked out very well. David Bradshaw advised me to have the shoulder cut back and the barrel turned to top dead center to remove the constriction, but with the alternations I’d already done I leapt into firelapping. I’m happy with where it ended up, but I’m not sure which path I’ll choose when I come across this condition again. If I trusted Ruger to fix it on the first try and I hadn’t already altered the gun, I’d send it back to them. But in my mind, that’s a big if.

I polished all the guts, rented a forcing cone tool and opened it up to 11 degrees, and I went through a pawl or two lengthening and filing to get the lockup correct. I had Tom at yankmachain.com make me a brass sight that was an offset slip-over to account for the barrel that wasn’t turned all the way. I didn’t want to turn the barrel any further and create another constriction that I’d already lapped out. I also referenced a post of David Bradshaw’s and Fermin’s measurements regarding sight width and lengths of barrels to determine if the sight width would work. It’s infinitely better than the original Vaquero front sight. (Don’t worry Fermin, I’ve already got a new build in mind that incorporates one of your sights and I’ll be wearing you out on the phone soon enough.) I’m still tweaking the sight, so that’s why the unfinished top in the picture. Once I’m satisfied that it’s hitting to POI with my preferred round, I’ll finish it. (Not sure how yet.)

Chad at Chig’s Grips custom fit the stocks.

I can say for certain that I’m glad I did this. Between fitting the pawl and firelapping this gun, I got so adept at tearing it down and reassembling it that I installed a new transfer bar in 25 minutes this week. (I broke the old one from dry firing. Apparently transfer bar pinch is a thing, but I’ll be fitting the new one appropriately this week.).
    Everyone I’ve referenced have been “good people” and have wanted to help me. That’s probably the main reason for my post. Thank you for being you and sharing your knowledge

Last minute add: Larry Gibson, I’ve got an entire tab in my browser separated by caliber with your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Please know that it’s used, I’m sure by a lot of people that don’t let you know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A0C0B29-A60C-4A0C-96D1-E14EE08202B2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	303400

Boolit Master

Great job.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Wow; great looking six shooter. I especially like the color and chatoyance of the grip; beautiful!!

That's something to certainly be justifiably proud of--a revolver that is customized to your taste and ideas. I also think the grips are outstanding.

DG

Vendor Sponsor

NIce work!! Purtie grips too!

I use and recommend the Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring but most of mine retain the factory hammer spring as it has less lock time than a reduced power spring. I have one or two with the softer spring and it does make the trigger break lighter.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Per Bluerock2000:
    Last minute add: Larry Gibson, I’ve got an entire tab in my browser separated by caliber with your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Please know that it’s used, I’m sure by a lot of people that don’t let you know.

Let me add my wholehearted 10-4!!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios