MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Trapdoor

Trapdoor

Might have fallen in love with my old cut down trapper yesterday again.

Took it to the range along with a couple other guns for some exercise. I began shooting with the old bubba'd 1884 model with the 1891 inspection mark which had the forstock and barrel shortened to carbine length. I "FIXED" The rough treatment of the old girl and tlc'd her for the continued life she still has left.

My memorie is of an inaccurate old girl and since I took some time with the muzzle, I cant remember taking her on a shooting date. Some attention to the lock works and the trigger now lets off at around 4 or 5 pounds Id recon. My real problem (came to me yesterday) is the extremely high comb. I remember yesterday why my semi distaste for this old rifle stems from the cheek slapping affair when shooting 400+ grain boolits over 70 plus grains of Goex 2F powder.

However in my BP loaded box I discovered 15 loads that are(or were) loaded with 55 grains with three felt wads to take up room in the case. Fortunately I had written down the load on a post it note and attached it to the rounds.

Shooting these was a very different experience. No PRONOUNCED cheek slap, and at the 35 yard range they clustered into an easy inch ( before we go down the range yardage ... understand that my upcoming cataract surgery should return my ability to actually see at some distance past the end of my nose).

Had a great time with the old girl tho. This still needs a "LOWERING" of that high cheek comb for comfy shooting something with a full load through it but gotta say, this is the fun stuff I had always desired with this old trapper. I can see a few forays into blacktail country with this rifle.

What a handy, short, accurate thumper. I can predict many fun hours shooting and caring for this gem. Thanks for reading my ramble. Just an old man getting back to what has been in the past ... a relaxing and an escape from all the retired honeydo's that now plague me...

Boolit Master

Good read. I hope the surgery goes well.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

My mom had that surgery when she was about 80. Se said it was like having her 30 year old eyes again.
    Those shorter barrels are fun !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Thanks for the well wish's feller's. Yes everthing I read and study tells me that this eye surgery is the correct way to go. Can't wait. November is the soonest they can get me in but then ... yip yip ... should be able to see again. Asked the Doc how soon I can return to shooting and he says 1 week, seems a little soon so I plan to give it a couple weeks.

Sonic cleaning my brass today then tumble in walnut shells, then annealing them followed by much more of the 350 grain Lymans over that 55 grain load of Ol E 3F this time.

May just try some Trailboss in the 12 to 14 grains under Lee 459405 hollow base. Betcha that would be a fun load as well.

Boolit Master

Good luck with your eye fix!

I would advise some caution using Trail Boss in the TD. It tends to build up pressure very quickly. It rapidly goes over TD limits. The 55 grain load you were shooting is the one they made for the horse soldiers back in the day. 70 grains in a carbine is a bunch. I use the 55 grain load in both my carbine and rifle. Shoots great out of both. That is with the Lee 405hb.
    If you really want a fun load get one of the collar button molds. I have one from NOE. 5 grains of Bullseye and you are cookin'!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a great day! Enjoyed your write up!

I finally acquired a "84 trapdoor last year - have everything all set to load and play with it when we get back to AZ for the winter. I've always shot rifled muskets for 60 years sa am looking forward to seeing how this "new fangled cartridges" work.

Best of luck on your surgery - you'll notice a world of change and be glad you had it done.

Enjoy and have fun and thanks for the good read!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    …I would advise some caution using Trail Boss in the TD. It tends to build up pressure very quickly. It rapidly goes over TD limits…

This! Trail Boss is not a low pressure powder. It builds pressures rapidly and unpredictably.

Stay with black powder.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

It is easy to load those Lee 405's over 55 grains but as I set here I do not remember if My loads were 2 or 3F old E. Have to check my notes.

The Trailboss loads have been loaded hundreds of times and shot in my Ruger and Marlin. Easy to forget that these easy shooting loads might be too high pressure for the trapdoors. Thanks Kevin for the reminder. My trailboss loads include 38-55, 375 Ruger, 444 Marlin, 45 Colt, 45-70, 458 Win Mag. Other than black powder, this has been my favorite go to powder.

The 43 Spanish roller, the 40-65 and this trapper 45-70 have always been loaded with 2F Goex or Ol E 2F. I still have 15 or 20 pounds of 3F Ol E but sadly am out of 2F.